PDA

View Full Version : End Grain

W.C. Turner
06-14-2006, 4:32 AM
Hi all,

I think someone should write a book, and do a video, "Torn End Grain, And, It's Prevention"!! Seems I have more trouble with that than anything these days. Shear scraping don't always work for me.

What's your solution for it?

Thanks,

W.C.

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I've been using a bowl scraper and taking the lightest cuts possible, keeping it very sharp. When it's real bad I'll put some BLO on it. The BLO will scrape away.

Ernie

W.C. Turner
06-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I've tried paste wax, & shellac, with pretty good success. I've heard using water to raise the grain is very helpful also.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I've heard that putting mineral spirits on it and then turning helps. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2006, 12:00 AM
W. C. I use a spraying water bottle I keep by the lathe. When I get to the point of about to finish and torn end grain is showing I spritz it with a little water. That make the torn grain stand up. I then take a bowl gouge with a conventional grind and sharpened to make the final cut. I got this off Mike Mahoney's video on bowl turning. It works for me. He also said you can use mineral oil which will act also to lube the wood. Haven't tried that yet. So I bought a 3/8" and 1/2" P & N conventional grind bowl gouges. I was frusterated like you with the torn end grain. I had to sand forever to get rid of it. Now I don't sand much at all. Hope this helps.

W.C. Turner
06-15-2006, 1:05 AM
Hi Bernie,

I've got 2 conventional grind bowl gouges, a 1/2", & 1/4", that I've been practicing with recently. I was surprised at the smooth, long ribbons, I was getting off them. I'll try the water next time.

I've considered getting Mahoney's video on bowl turning. Is it pretty good?

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2006, 9:54 AM
I liked it W. C. I thought it was pretty informative and got some good things from it. I am one of those that learn more by seeing than by reading. May have to watch it several times but get something everytime I do. It is kinda like every video some like'em and some don't.

Jim King
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
If your wood is to dry soak it in a pail of water for a week. No more tearout. The water from soaking will dry fast, it is not like getting the sap or resins to dry.

Kurt Johansson
06-15-2006, 2:45 PM
The best tools for endgrain are for sure sharp hook or ringtools.
It is quite easy to achive a finish that will be ruined if you try to sand the turned item.
Kurt Johansson
the hook and ringtool man

Ed Breen
06-15-2006, 7:01 PM
Pardon my ignorance.
What's a ring tool?
Ed:confused:

W.C. Turner
06-15-2006, 8:43 PM
Try this link.

http://www.oneway.ca/tools/termite.htm

Kurt Johansson
06-16-2006, 3:17 PM
The Termite is a crude ring tool that can stand abuse. A more delicate ringtool can be found at the web page of Crown tools.
www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk (http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk)
The Swedish original ringtool has the ring attached to a 6mm pin and the shaft is such that you can mount the ring either as on the Crown model
or can the ring be mounted hanging down under the shaft where it can be
adjusted to cut in any direction, right or left, forwards or backwards.
This makes the tool very versatile, but you must understand that a ringtool can never be used as a scraper, to many has done that and broken their tools.
Kurt Johansson
the hook and ringtool man

W.C. Turner
06-16-2006, 4:50 PM
What are the prices for the ringtools at the Crown link you posted?

Kurt Johansson
06-17-2006, 3:05 PM
I am very sorry but I have not been able to find any prices for ringtools,
I suppose yuo have to mail Crown tool for prices.
Kurt Johansson
The hook and ringtool man.

Frank Fusco
06-18-2006, 1:27 PM
This has been an interesting thread for me. After four years, I have never turned even a simple bowl. I have four bowl gouges and the experience with them is: touch to end grain and catch. Touch and catch. I've watched videos and seen those big ribbons of wood just fly off. I touch and catch. :mad: Anything resembling turning hasn't happened for me. But, now I realize what I have been trying to turn is all well-dried spalted hardwoods. The video guys use soft green woods. That's cheating. ;)
The ring tools look interesting, might try. But first will try the wet and (try to) turn with bowl gouge thing. Question: Using mineral oil will make finishing difficult or impossible, won't it?

W.C. Turner
06-18-2006, 2:22 PM
I don't know what videos you've watched, but, John Jordan's Bowl video is very good. Try it.

I've never had a big catch. "Knock on wood", but, I don't get catches now. You need to stop when you get a catch, & try to ID what cause your catch. With the lathe stopped, put your gouge on the toolrest in a cutting position, turn the lathe with your handwheel, to see how the gouge will cut, in that position. Then, when you turn on the lathe, you won't get a surprise.
Keep your toolrest close to the work for good support, ride the bevel, especially when learning, turn your gouge in the direction of cut, until it picks up a shaving, & begins to cut. You'll know when you hit the "Sweet" spot.

I'm still learning myself. I call myself a "Beginner forever".

Hope this is of some value.

W.C. Turner
06-19-2006, 2:24 AM
Frank,

I use dry wood, as well as green wood. Just remember, when turning dry wood, take a smaller bite. That might be your problem, you might be trying to take too big of a cut, & that is causing your <<<"Touch and catch">>>.

So try some lighter cuts when turning dry wood, and see if that doesn't prevent some of those catches. Hope this helps.

W.C.