PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question from a non turner (yet)

Tim Wirtz
06-14-2006, 12:12 AM
What does the "Midi" in Midi Lathe actually stand for? The only Midi I ever knew of was an electronic music mixer that plugged into a computer.

Thanks in advance,

tim

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Evenin' Tim:

The "Midi" and the "Mini" lathe are very similar. Both designations try to describe the size vs a Full sized lathe and basically are for a lathe with a 10 to 12" swing over the bed and a 14-16 spindle length.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-14-2006, 3:04 AM
Ya, what Bruce said, A Midi is a bigger Mini, but not a full sized lathe, I think......... :D

John Timberlake
06-14-2006, 9:09 AM
Mini is small, maxi is big, midi is in between. When Delta first came out with their version of the mini to compete with Jet, etc., they added the possibility of a bed extension which Jet did not have. They called it a midi even though it was essentially the same size as the mini when you take it out of the box. Adding the bed extension made it bigger. Really still a mini lathe for bowls, etc, but allow longer spindle for table legs. Hope this helps.

Tim Wirtz
06-14-2006, 3:08 PM
Thanks, everyone. I have been getting the itch to begin down the slippery, turned slope to the 'Dark Side' but, thankfully, can't afford to until next year. :)

Tim

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-14-2006, 3:21 PM
Oh, come on, Tim, you know you want to! :)

Tim Wirtz
06-14-2006, 3:35 PM
I DO want to. I just don't know how I'd hide something that size from the mrs. Next year, I won't have to hide it. :-)

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 3:57 PM
I DO want to. I just don't know how I'd hide something that size from the mrs. Next year, I won't have to hide it. :-)

I guess you still need to do more training...:D

Whenever a new tool shows up in my shop LOML just rolls here eyes and askes me what that is used for. She was happy when I sold my old metal mathe, then when the Rikon showed up in the shop she reacted as normal. Now that I have been turning some pieces she smiles at the results and claims the ones she likes and lets me know what she thinks is wrong with the ones that she doesn't. She's my best critic.