PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's

Bob Lasley
09-12-2003, 9:56 AM
Good Friday morning everyone,

Looks like a full weekend of sawdust for me as I am doing a two day cabinet making seminar at the local toy store for their in store Woodworking Show. I did this last year and I must say that it is different working in front of an audience of fifty people.

So, any sawdust in your weekend plans?

Have a great weekend all,
Bob

Steve Clardy
09-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Finishing up a custom vanity for a customer.
Then to get some of the tree limbs cut into firewood that the storm we had about six weeks ago presented to us. Didn't really need anther job just yet, but do need more wood for the coming cols season.
Probably will work on my new shop cabs some also. Have one section filled with 4 drawers, and another section started with a 10" deep drawer for my handheld routers. May start on the saw cabinet section that will sit next to these other cabs. It will be 36" deep to handle the dewalt slider. Then I can redo my dust collection at that point and try to capture some more of the dust it puts out. My piping comes out of the floor near it and goes through the wall outside to the collector there. Should be able to just put a tee there and angle over to the saw.
Steve

Dave Anderson NH
09-12-2003, 10:56 AM
This afternoon I'm going to wander over to Mike Dunbar's and harass Dave Caudill, a friend of mine from Oregon who is in town taking his first Windsor chair class. I also expect to spend major portions of the weekend working on my wall mounted plane rack. With some luck and not too many distractions like yard work, Most of the work except some of the finish should be completed. Time will tell.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-12-2003, 11:08 AM
I have today off, so I will be working on getting 2 Slot Car Boxes well underway. Got to take care of the paying business before I can play! If the forecast is correct, it will be a rainy Friday and most of the weekend, so that should free up some time for Turning............darn the luck! :p

Mike Evertsen
09-12-2003, 11:32 AM
this weekend I'll start painting the inside of my shop,,,,,putting up a couple lights,,,

Byron Trantham
09-12-2003, 11:38 AM
The last piece of the on-going saga of the baby furniture will be started today - the Crib!

I just got a phone call and was told I got a job to make a wall hanging cabinent for a Doctor's office. Nice job.

Ed Falis
09-12-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm hoping to finish a small "paint quality" corner cabinet I started last weekend for one of the bathrooms. It was a lot of fun making it with the face at 35/55 degrees to the box in order to fit the space, and redesigning the dimensions of the original plans.

- Ed

Scott Coffelt
09-12-2003, 12:18 PM
I was hoping to install the built in stereo cabinet for a client, but picked up the glass yesterday only to find the glass for the door had a big scratch. The window place says three to five days before they can recut. No acceptable, so may be buying from HD instead if they can't cut a piece.

If it all works out, that's my major doing. Need to do some lawn work.

Mike Sweat
09-12-2003, 3:47 PM
I'll be helping my brother with the finish carpentry on his new house and drooling over the size of the shop he just built.

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 9:35 PM
I will be re-making the last base cabinet door due to a "little problem with the measurements"...like about an inch and a half of width being completely missing. (Transposed a number off the paper when cutting the rails, apparently) That's a little too wide of a gap on the non-hinge side! :rolleyes:

Then, it's trim work, caulking and spackling and you guessed it...paint. That leaves one bookcase-style cabinet to make for the kitchen project and the tile backsplash; the latter will get done the weekend after next as my business travel trashes next weekend for me, except for a few hours later on Sunday. (But I'll be helping a co-worker in Denver with "his" kitchen remodel next Saturday before I fly back Sunday morning...that helps make up for the lack of personal shop time in the coming week)

Of course, I may play with my new Festool jigsaw this weekend, too... :D

Jim Baker
09-12-2003, 10:22 PM
We will spend most of the shp time this weekend making dovetail drawers. I really like our new Woodhaven Dovetail jig.

I've discovered that it is more fun to make drawers that to install drawer slides.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Byron Trantham
09-12-2003, 10:35 PM
I will be re-making the last base cabinet door due to a "little problem with the measurements"...like about an inch and a half of width being completely missing. (Transposed a number off the paper when cutting the rails, apparently) That's a little too wide of a gap on the non-hinge side! :rolleyes:

Jim, thanks for the honesty. I thought I was the only guy who transpose them! :confused: So frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Jim, thanks for the honesty. I thought I was the only guy who transpose them! :confused: So frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The real "honesty" came when the birdies "learned some new words". :o I should explain that this is one of the two doors on the "ell" base cabinet. That cabinet had to be built after the drywall was in and consequently, there was no time to properly fit (or even build) the doors and drawers before it was physically installed. I didn't want to hold up the countertops...

I guess I have to design a cabinet for the shop that will fit the now "extra" door... :D

Todd Burch
09-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Today I got the 8 doors hung on the 2 bookcases I'm making, and the first coat of primer on the above cases plus two other wall hung cabinets - all for a couple clients.

Saturday morning - Woodworker's Club of Houston meeting (Woodworker's Club of Houston web site) ((htt:p://www.wwch.org)). Saturday afternoon - Church party. Only leaves about ~3 hours for possible shop time on Saturday.

Sunday - a nice nap after church, and maybe some shop time... if it's cool.

On a side note - the "love bugs" are swarming. They're EVERYWHERE!! Painting might be tough...

Todd.

David Rose
09-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Yep! Lot of wood dust in my weekend. I'm still cleaning out the wall where the termite drillers need to go. It is well "dusted". And I will miss Bob's demo on cabinets. :( Surely wanted to see that. And I already have ideas for moving things back that include some cabinet work. Duh... and my tools are tied up til I get everything mostly back out of the way.

David

Mark Hulette
09-13-2003, 4:07 AM
Started it off well- scored a PC 8529 @ HD- always good to start the weekend off with a new tool!

Saturday I'm taking the Beginning Bowl Turning class at Woodcraft :eek: :eek: . I 've been looking forward to it for some time. So I'll get to sling some chips around this weekend, too!!