PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #46 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
06-13-2006, 4:31 PM
Tuesday June 13th, 2006

Well, it's been awhile since the last update. Minor things happening like the deck being almost done, just need two pieces of stair railing to complete. Been putting down some sod where there was dirt and getting the driveway replaced. With all that we've still been putting stuff away. We are really trying to figure out where we had all this stuff in our old "little" house.

Some interior pics and a final update later. I will say the house is wonderful. The Wolf range has been more than I expected and the cork floor in the kitchen is fantastic. The tankless water heater has performed fantastic. It is so nice to fill the whirlpool and not run out of hot water. And two of us can take a shower at the same time and not run out of hot water.

Here's a couple of pics of the sod. This is actually the second load which consisted of 3 pallets. Each pallet holds 64 rolls. Each roll is 2'X5'. The first load was 6 pallets and I've since gotten 2 more pallets. Still need about 2 more pallets to finish the bare spots.
40750 40751
These are pics of the back yard. Most of the dirt area in the pic is now green. Good thing the guy said the green side goes up. :D

Next is the driveway. Here's a couple of shots after they tore the old blacktop out. The guys said the blacktop itself was really good, but whoever did the job didn't take the time with the base.
40752 40753
All torn up and getting some breaker rock and graded.
They really put a lot of the breaker rock down in front of the garage and in front of the little shed. Then it sat for a little over a week before they paved.

Continued.........................

Karl

Karl Laustrup
06-13-2006, 4:42 PM
Here's the follow up.

Yesterday the guys did the blacktop. We also got the bottom part of the deck done. It is totally enclosed with just an access door.
40758 40759
The blacktop looks pretty good. Can't drive on it for a couple of days though, so we're having to park next door.

Here's a couple of pics of the deck almost done.
This is the back side with the stairs. Note that the hand rail on the stairs is missing one piece.

Looking at the completed driveway with the deck done, at least from this side.

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Jack Hogoboom
06-13-2006, 4:45 PM
Karl,

The house looks great. I've really enjoyed following your posts as you rebuilt your house.

My back is aching just thinking about laying all that sod....:eek:

Jack

Jerry Olexa
06-13-2006, 5:15 PM
Karl, glad you're back I really miss your house updates!! Looking good and looks like you're settling in...Thanks for tip on the sod: I never knew it was green side UP:D :)

Jim Becker
06-13-2006, 5:51 PM
Nice! Looks like they got the correct side of the blacktop "up", too!! :D

John Miliunas
06-13-2006, 7:06 PM
Great progress since my last visit over there! :) I don't envy you for having to lay all that sod but, it shore do look nice!!! :D However, had you made that driveway any wider, you wouldn't have had to worry about laying quite as much sod!!! :D Lookin' good, Karl! Can't wait to see it in a couple weeks! :) :cool:

Dan Larson
06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
the cork floor in the kitchen is fantastic

We've talked about going with a cork floor in the kitchen of our next house-- glad to hear that it's everything it's cracked up to be!

Thanks for the latest update, Karl. The house has really come together nicely!:cool:

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 3:20 AM
Karl, I still can't believe how quickly and (apparently) smoothly your new house went together. It looks great, and looks like it's built to last. Congrats on the new casa.

- Vaughn

Tyler Howell
06-14-2006, 8:35 AM
And now the real hard work..... in the heat:(
Lookin great Karl.

Karl Laustrup
06-14-2006, 9:10 AM
Karl,

The house looks great. I've really enjoyed following your posts as you rebuilt your house.

My back is aching just thinking about laying all that sod....:eek:

Jack

It's not just my back. I am still aching all over. Of the 11 pallets, so far, I've put down all but 3 pallets by myself.

Now the problem is keeping it all watered. Mother Nature isn't helping as we've only had about 2/10ths in the last 14 days. I am hoping for a good soaking in the next few days.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
06-14-2006, 9:13 AM
Nice! Looks like they got the correct side of the blacktop "up", too!! :D

Yeah Jim, I've been really lucky with contractors. :D :D I didn't even have to remind them, they got it right the first time. :D

Karl

Karl Laustrup
06-14-2006, 9:16 AM
Spring. Looking forward to your visit. It does look a wee bit different than your last visit. Even inside.

Jerry, Dan, Tyler. Y'all aren't that far away. I would hope that if any of you are heading this way or passing through, you'll let me know and stop for a visit. We're only about a mile off I-90/94 and not hard to find.

Karl

David Wilson
06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Looking good Karl. Maby you shoukd requit some tourists to help with the yard.