PDA

View Full Version : first post w/ pics

Chris Mire
06-13-2006, 1:50 PM
hello everyone, been hanging out reading and soaking up some info for a good while now. i see it's good to come bearing pics so i figured i'd wait to introduce myself once i had some ready. i am an aspiring cabinetmaker, ready to leave the world of desks and computer drafting behind to do something i actually like, woodworking. however it will take some time to get to this point as I plan to do it with as little debt as possible. i have been working in my dad's tiny 20x20 shop until now, i will soon have my own 30x52. can't wait for that. anyway, here is a cabinet job i finished recently.

this kitchen is eastern white pine. furniture grade for the knotty look. the finish is a furniture wax I believe. done by homeowner, simply rubbed in with steel wool.

thanks for looking and thanks to all who share their knowledge in such a well mannered and friendly enviroment.

chris

tod evans
06-13-2006, 1:59 PM
welcome chris! nice work.

Bob Childress
06-13-2006, 2:21 PM
Welcome aboard Chris!

Very nice cabinets indeed. You wil find this to be a friendly place to hang. Be sure to post pix of your new shop as it blossoms.:)

Jim Becker
06-13-2006, 2:22 PM
Welcome, Chris. That's a beautiful kitchen. 'Hope you'll show us the new shop as it comes along, too... ;)

Peter Pedisich
06-13-2006, 2:38 PM
Welcome Chris,

I don't agree with the "aspiring" part, though... from here it looks like you already are a pretty accomplished cabinetmaker!

Can't wait to see the big shop you're going to make.

Good luck dropping the CAD, been doing it since '89 and can't wait to put it behind me...

Pete

Bruce Page
06-13-2006, 2:44 PM
Beautiful kitchen Chris. I'm not sure about the wax only finish, it dosen't seem like very much protection for kitchen cabnietry.
Welcome to SMC!

Brett Baldwin
06-13-2006, 2:57 PM
Welcome Chris. Looks like you are well on your way to your goal. Happy shavings.

glenn bradley
06-13-2006, 3:50 PM
Someone's been busy. Looks great. LOML is jealous.

Tyler Howell
06-13-2006, 4:08 PM
Welcome to the creek.
Picture Police Seal of Approval

Bob Noles
06-13-2006, 4:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek Chris and we look forward to hanging out and sharing ideas and tall tales with you.

That is some very nice cabinetry you were so kind to share with us. Looks like we have some things to learn from you :)

Thanks for sharing.

Shelley Bolster
06-13-2006, 4:35 PM
Welcome Chris! I have to agree with Peter though, with a job such as that, the term aspiring just doesn't fit. Great Job! Wow...30 x 52! Man, are you gonna love it! Hope to see you drop here by often.

Nissim Avrahami
06-13-2006, 4:37 PM
Welcome Chris

That’s a lot of work but beautiful results.

You will enjoy here, I’ve never met such a wonderful people.

niki

Jerry Olexa
06-13-2006, 5:05 PM
Welcome Chris AND very nice work. I too share the concern in a kitchen of wax only. Need to protect your great work. Many options. Wax alone IMHO poses some risk w spills, abrasion, etc

Chris Mire
06-14-2006, 7:13 AM
thanks everyone, i really appreciate the comments.

as for the wax only finish, that was what the homeowner wanted, they had it done by their painter. i think they were more concerned about the look than the durability. at this point I don't do the finishing unless it is a piece i built for myself. i feel i am not quite good enough to actually charge someone to apply a finish to their cabinets or furniture.

i will hopefully have some pics up soon of the shop location. we are having a road built to access the property. it should be within 2 weeks that i will have the dirt pad for the shop done. and then it'll be time to order the building. I am going to purchase a prefab metal building for cost reasons. I really wanted a nice wood frame shop but the price of lumber is through the roof down here and i just can't afford it now, and i can't afford to wait.

thanks again everyone. i have some pics from some other recent jobs, i'll try to get them posted, i know how much everyone likes pictures.

chris

Ralph Okonieski
06-14-2006, 1:14 PM
Very nice cabinets.

John Miliunas
06-14-2006, 1:23 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Chris! Hope your stay is long and enjoyable! :) As for the cabinets, I'm not quite sure I've ever seen work with Pine pulled off with such elegance!!! Awesome job! :D I have to believe you have a good future in this! Keep us posted on both, shop and projects! :) :cool:

lou sansone
06-14-2006, 6:31 PM
wow ... looks like a lot of work. nice job
welcome to the creek
lou