PDA

View Full Version : Coleman lantern generator fix

Steve Carbone
06-13-2006, 9:38 AM
I was cleaning out my parents basement the other day and ran across some coleman lanterns that are in mint condition. One of them however does not burn as bright as the others. The owners manual says to replace the generator but I was wondering if generators can be soaked in something to clean them and then reused. If so, what should I soak them in. Thanks.

Kyle Kraft
06-13-2006, 9:41 AM
Generators are cheaper to buy than your time spent monkey-messing around trying to clean the old one.....just my $0.02

Kyle in K'zoo

skip coyne
06-13-2006, 9:48 AM
there is a orfice at the end of the generator that gets clogged , I have used spray Gumout on them with success .

Im asuming you have used the Cleaning lever on the lantern . I ususally spin it a few times before I turn the lantern off.

Steve Carbone
06-13-2006, 9:57 AM
Hi Skip. I didn,t know there was a cleaning lever. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Doug Shepard
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
My dad uses Easy-Off on his then blows them out with the air nozzle hooked to the compressor. I have no clue where he got this idea though or whether it works better than other stuff.

skip coyne
06-13-2006, 10:16 AM
its a small lever on the side , as you turn it, it sticks a rod with a sharp point into the orfice of the generator

Steve Carbone
06-13-2006, 10:22 AM
No levers on the side. I'm going to take the generator nut off and see what I can see.

skip coyne
06-13-2006, 10:41 AM
if there is still no fuel flow, try cleaning the tip of the generator. If you lantern has a tip-cleaning lever, turn it clockwise three or four times and leave it in the down position. If your lantern does not have a tip cleaning lever, turn the knob from off to on three or four times. Both of these actions run a small needle through the hole in the tip of the generator and should remove any small blockage.

from here

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/faq/faqreturn.asp?question=14

Steve Carbone
06-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Skip. There was a bunch of carbon in the generator tube. I cleaned it and unclogged the little orafice at the end of the tube. Carb cleaner worked great.