PDA

View Full Version : No More Gallon Cans Of Stain?

Larry Norton
06-13-2006, 9:21 AM
Went to my Sherwin Williams store to get a gallon of stain, they tell me I can only get it in quarts now. I know it's all part of some new rule of making the world cleaner, but if I'm going to buy 4 quarts instead of one gallon, what's the difference?

I can bet that all solvent based finishes will be gone within the next 5 years and everything will be water based.

Mike Wilkins
06-13-2006, 9:59 AM
This is just my 2 cents and personal opinion only. Notice that the cost of a gallon is less than the cost of 4 quarts?? Money. Greed. Manufacturers and marketing people know that if we want a product, we will buy it, and not take heed of the cost. Gasoline is a good example.
Went to buy some mineral spirits this weekend. 5 one gallon cans individually cost more than one 5 gallon bucket.
Unless we can make our stains, we are stuck.

Steve Schoene
06-13-2006, 6:11 PM
It really is a regulation thing. In some jurisdictions finishing materials that exceed certain standards for VOCs can only be sold in quart or less amounts. The idea is, I think, that professionals who really use lots of the stuff will find lower VOC solutions, while the DIYer will still be able to do his thing in a small way.

tod evans
06-13-2006, 6:18 PM
Went to my Sherwin Williams store to get a gallon of stain, they tell me I can only get it in quarts now. I know it's all part of some new rule of making the world cleaner, but if I'm going to buy 4 quarts instead of one gallon, what's the difference?

I can bet that all solvent based finishes will be gone within the next 5 years and everything will be water based.

no problem buying gallons from sherwin here in the sticks, 5`s are no problem either...02 tod

Steve Clardy
06-13-2006, 6:43 PM
I get all stain in gallons. If they don't have a gallon, the give me the gallon price if I get 4 quarts.
I also get thinner in 5 gallons. Save some big bucks there.
Lacquer I also get in 5 gallon

Howard Acheson
06-13-2006, 8:52 PM
States are regulating emissions from many products. As said, one way some states do it is to limit the size of container that can be sold. The rational is that the small user is not much of a contributor to the emission problem. The large commercial operations contribute the majority of the emissions and will not be inclined to purchase small containers.

Sure, four individual quart cans are more expensive than one gallon can. Perfectly understandable. The cans themselves are more expensive, four filling operations instead of one means longer to fill and otherwise package. Labeling four containers is also more expensive. Seems to me that two half gallons of milk is more expensive than one gallon. Same thing with the gin that goes into may martini. Smaller bottles are more per ounce than larger bottles. Why would finishing product be any different?

BTW, many finishing products can not be sold in some states at all. Waterlox Original is one of them.

Ed Breen
06-15-2006, 7:10 PM
Hooray Howard,
As one who buys his gin by the BIG bottle, I just found a store that sells vermouth in the BIG bottle.
Ed:eek:

Steve Schoene
06-15-2006, 7:31 PM
Hooray Howard,
As one who buys his gin by the BIG bottle, I just found a store that sells vermouth in the BIG bottle.

I make a Martini MUCH drier than that--even the small bottle lasts for ages.

tod evans
06-15-2006, 7:34 PM
Hooray Howard,

ed, when drinking tanqueray you should only show the unopened bottle of vermouth to the glass and quickly put it back in the cupboard lest you ruin a good glass of gin. .02 tod

Michael Cody
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
ed, when drinking tanqueray you should only show the unopened bottle of vermouth to the glass and quickly put it back in the cupboard lest you ruin a good glass of gin. .02 tod

Ain't no such thaaang as a good glass of gin:eek: but making burbon & water for the lightweights who don't unnnerstand thet bourbon is drank neet, I just rinse the glass and pour in the burbon. Any of us redneck bourbon drinkers know that and lord help the sucker that asks for ice!

Jim DeLaney
06-16-2006, 8:17 AM

Been that way in California for years. Quarts only. Supposedly to cut down on VOC emissions. Oil based stuff is getting harder to find htere, too.

CARB (California Air Resources Board) and SCAQMD (South Coast Air Quality Management District) prefer that consumers use water-based products. What consumers want is of very little interest to them. Remember, these are the same folks who wanted to ban BBQ grills a few years ago...

Many East Coast states are/were adopting the California rules.

Howard Acheson
06-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Martinis are a very personal thing. I prefer what was the old fashioned "dry" martini. The original basic martini was 3 parts gin to 1 part dry vermouth. The "dry" martini was 3 parts gin to 1/2 part gin. Now days, a "dry" martini contains no vermouth in many bars. I actually have to ask for it.

While I like the traditional dry martini, I am a non-traditionalist in that I like it "shaken, not stirred" (ala James Bond), on the rocks and with a twist of lemon.

Al Willits
06-16-2006, 4:09 PM
""""""""Martinis are a very personal thing. I prefer what was the old fashioned "dry" martini. The original basic martini was 3 parts gin to 1 part dry vermouth. The "dry" martini was 3 parts gin to 1/2 part gin. Now days, a "dry" martini contains no vermouth in many bars. I actually have to ask for it.
"""""

Have to admit, after having the one Martini in my life, I kinda like them one part Capt Morgans and 3 parts Coke....:D

Al who don't drink much anymore....and it shows..

Don Baer
06-16-2006, 4:32 PM
I Like my Martini's very dry myself. Just chill to 50 degrees F and serve neat..
http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/uploads/xzy718a.gif

glenn bradley
06-16-2006, 8:21 PM
In my drinking days I always felt that if there was any vermouth in the same building, it was close enough, ha!