PDA

View Full Version : Which primer?

Ken Werner
06-13-2006, 9:08 AM
On paint grade cabinets, I have until now used BIN as a brushed on primer coat. I'm going to try spraying, and have [ordered] a Wagner HVLP conversion gun from Gleem paint. The top coats will be semigloss latex.

The gentleman at Gleem said I should not try to spray BIN. He did recommend an oil based primer, but not one specifically. I thought latex doesn't adhere well to oil.

Is he right about not spraying BIN, and do you folks have any suggestions for a spray on primer coat?

Thanks.
Ken

Jim Becker
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Ken, consider using one of the acrylic lines from Target Coatings, Fuhr International or similar, rather than anything "Latex Paint" for cabinetry. These products can be tinted to any color you need, either by the manufacturer or by Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. You will get better results, find it far easier to spray and have a finish that is hard and durable instead of soft and "sticky". Target's Emtech sealer is very nice...and if you must use Latex, will work fine.

BTW, I've never been pleased with trying to spray Latex paint with an HVLP (or standard) gun. Airless works much better for these thick materials that really cannot be thinned down.

Todd Burch
06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
And to add to what Jim has said, since you are spraying, realize that a sprayed finish's sheen is much lower than the same exact paint's brushed sheen.

This means any touch ups made with a brush later on will be more glossy than the sprayed areas.

I prefer a high solids primer, like Kilz or ClawLock from ML Campbell. It fills more voids (minute cracks, sanding scratches, pores, etc.) than a low solids primer can in the same number of coats. I use 2 coats, sanding with 220 between coats. I also apply my first coat of primer, then sand, as the primer shows everything that still needs attention. (I hate sanding - why do it more than you have to!)

tod evans
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I also apply my first coat of primer, then sand, as the primer shows everything that still needs attention. (I hate sanding - why do it more than you have to!)

amen! .02 tod

Phil Phelps
06-18-2006, 10:47 AM
On paint grade cabinets, I have until now used BIN as a brushed on primer coat. I'm going to try spraying, and have [ordered] a Wagner HVLP conversion gun from Gleem paint. The top coats will be semigloss latex.

The gentleman at Gleem said I should not try to spray BIN. He did recommend an oil based primer, but not one specifically. I thought latex doesn't adhere well to oil.

Is he right about not spraying BIN, and do you folks have any suggestions for a spray on primer coat?

Thanks.
Ken
I have sprayed Bin pigminted shellac for decades. As Todd mentioned, it's not a filler, but a sealer, and it does a great job on many surfaces. And latex over oil. I always use an alkyd undercoat before I use exterior latex. Bonds wonderfully togther. Just don't spray lacquer over oil.

Howard Acheson
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I am with Phil on this. There is no reason not to spray Zinsser BIN. It's done all the time. You just need to be sure you set up your equipment correctly. It's a shellac based material so if you have to thin it, use alcohol.

Phil Phelps
06-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I am with Phil on this. There is no reason not to spray Zinsser BIN. It's done all the time. You just need to be sure you set up your equipment correctly. It's a shellac based material so if you have to thin it, use alcohol.
Don't forget to strain it. Ask momma to save her worn out stockings. Nothing works better. You need to strain all materials before spraying them, not just the Bin.

Joe Pelonio
06-21-2006, 6:33 PM
I use denatured alcohol for cleanup, and it dries fast so you have to clean the gun right away. Just did some dark stained mahogany closet doors last night. For me it's the best primer to prevent bleeding thru especially with woods like redwood and cedar.

Update: Last night I rolled it with white semi-gloss latex, and it covered in one coat nicely after the one coat of the BIN.