PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring motor from 110 to 220VAC

Greg Koch
06-13-2006, 4:30 AM
Ok, Please... help me to do this without smoking my motor.:eek:

My Delta 36-680 came wired for 110 VAC. It can also be run on 220 VAC, and I have a single 220 socket in the garage wired directly down from the sub-panel. I want to rewire the motor on the TS to 220. Here is the wiring diagram on the underside of the wiring cover on the motor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Wiringdiagram.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Wiringdiagram.jpg)

It shows the Black and Red connected together, and the Grey and Yellow connected together for 110 VAC. What it doesn't show is the White wire that is connected together with the Black and Red....(you can see this in the pic below. The two shorter black wires go to the thermal reset switch and the Green wire is connected to a screw/ground.)

For 220 VAC operation, it shows connecting the Red and Grey together and the Black and Yellow "isolated" (but connected to 230 VAC) There is a spare wiring twist cap in the cover that I assume would make up the 3rd connection: 1. Red/Grey, 2. on the Yellow wire, and 3. on the Black wire. It shows nothing about where the White wire should go? Ideas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Wiring.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Wiring.jpg)

Has anyone done this before, and can you let me know if I have it correct, and where the White wire should go. I do not want to have to replace a motor 'cause I screwed up!

Also, I got 2 cords to go from the switch to the wall socket. One is a 14/3 rated 300 VAC, and the other is a 14/3 rated at 600 VAC (and is about 50% larger in diameter that the 300 VAC cord.) The special 220 plug I got is now on the 300 VAC cord, and I assume it should be OK. But...should I use the thicker 600 VAC rated cord instead?

Thanks

Kyle Kraft
06-13-2006, 9:34 AM
Greg,

Where are your incoming power leads (currently 110V.) at in the lower picture? Does the incoming hot lead go through the thermal o-load (in series) first then out to the yellow/gray leads? If so then the white wire must be the 110V neutral from the line side.

If that is indeed the case, then the white wire will become one leg of the 220V, the black will be the other leg of the 220V. Wire nut the red/gray. The black to the line side black of the 220V, and the yellow to the line side white of the 220V.

The only issue I see is with the o-load. If you wire it in series with one of the 220V legs, then in the event of an overload, you will only be interrupting one line.

Kyle in K'zoo

Greg Koch
06-13-2006, 4:18 PM
Kyle,

I'm not sure of where the line voltage comes out, but will check and see. I was also hoping that someone with the same motor/switch had done the mod. I am "dimensioning" some wood today, but will try to get back as soon as possible on your questions.

Greg Koch
06-13-2006, 8:00 PM
OK, I made the changes and everything works great...

From the cord..Black, White and Green.
From the motor...Black, Yellow, Red and Grey

(Green is attached to a screw for ground.)

Wiring for 220 VAC.

Cord Black, through the thermal switch, to Motor Black.
Cord White to Motor Yellow.
Motor Red and Grey tied together.

Motor lost the "jump" it had on startup, the lights don't dim on startup. Whether it runs cooler, lasts longer and has a bit more power will only be known down the road. Right now, I'm just happy!:p

Kyle, regarding the overload, the switch stays in the circuit just as it did with 110..sensing the current and will cut power if it gets excessive (causing switch material to heat and "open up". Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Greg

Kyle Kraft
06-14-2006, 7:37 AM
Glad to be of help....enjoy!!

Kyle in K'zoo

Chris Padilla
06-14-2006, 11:05 AM
The motor won't run cooler nor have anymore power. What you did do, however, was lower the current running in both lines feeding the motor (i.e. to your wall outlet) and therefore THOSE lines will run cooler and use less power across their resistance.

You see, the motor doesn't see ANY difference regardless of how you wired it...only the lines in the wall will.