PDA

View Full Version : pic test: Gun Cbinet

JIm McMullen
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Crummy pics, but just a test. Sorry. Jim PS. Built this about 1 mo ago.

Bruce Page
06-13-2006, 9:43 AM
That's a beauty! Very nice.

Neil Lamens
06-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Cool!!.......like the lighting!!!!

Did you make the dental molding or purchase????

Nice job man!!!

Roy Wall
06-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Jim -

I like it.......that glass display area is excellent!!! Your finish looks terrific!!

Reid Smith
06-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Ah! Thats the plan from Popular Mechanics-Built a few of those myself as gifts, You did a great job Jim! I especially like the lighting. Can you give us some details on materials and finished used?

JIm McMullen
06-13-2006, 8:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Reid, your right, Here's the link:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/furniture/1273026.html

Built it out of curly maple. Used Moser's Russet Amber Maple aniline dye (water sol.). Be sure to wet the wood and lightly sand when dry to de-whisker if you use a water based dye. Then brush on about 1lb cut Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac (amber) to seal. Lightly sand, then 2 coats shellac, sanding between coats (tack off well). Then work Zar (oil based) #123 Moorish Teak stain into crevases (from article in Fine WW I think). Use the "sludge" from the bottom of the can with a small stiff brush(1/2"). Use gum terp to cleanup any screwups or areas too heavy. Finally, one more coat shellac. After finished, 2 coats wax (Minwax is all I used). Lights bought from Lowes ($30 +/-). Use 3 for upper and 3 lower as in plans-they have 3 stage dimmers). Hardware from Horton Brasses http://www.horton-brasses.com/ (a favorite of mine. I built the dentil molding as per the plan. This is a nice project and turns out real showey if you pick yur lumber carefully. The finish is bulletproof. I have a HVLP spray outfit for projects (usually lacquered), but didn't want the set-up time, mess or smell. Besides, shellac can be used to make a new piece look like it's old as me!