PDA

View Full Version : Olive Wood Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Well here is a Olive Wood bowl that the wood came from the Holy Land. It is 9" across and 1 1/2" deep. I made it for the church here to use as a communion bowl. It is a gift to Father Norbert the priest here. A friend of mine got me the wood when he went to Isreal to visit. It is sanded to 400 grit and finished with Waterlox. It has 3 coats. I was pretty pleased at how it turned out. Comments or critiques welcome.

Corey Hallagan
06-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Just plain sweet and a how perfect of a use for it! I am sure the priest will flip when he sees it. That will make a nice communion bowl for sure! Nice job Bernie!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Bernie..........I often think the simplest of forms are the most beatiful. This is beautiful! I'm sure the priest will like and appreciate it! Nice work Bernie!

Barry Stratton
06-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Beautiful work, Bernie. And the ultimate "pay it forward"!!!! Wonderful job my friend, you done great.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-13-2006, 1:27 AM
Great work, great wood, great idea!

Cheers!

Bob Noles
06-13-2006, 6:08 AM
Bernie,

What a beautiful job and the finish turned out spectacualar! Olive wood is so nice to turn and smells plesant as well. That bowl will have a special meaning in it's place for a long time to come.

Excellent job!

Michael Stafford
06-13-2006, 6:35 AM
Whew, Bernie, that is a spectacular piece of olivewood and a lovely gift. I hope you identified it on the bottom for posterity.

Mark Cothren
06-13-2006, 8:41 AM
Looks great to me, Bernie! And a great gift, too!!! Congrats!

Don Orr
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Spectacular piece, beautifuly finished and very thoughtful. Keep up the good work.

Doug Thompson
06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Nice... I couldn't read the bottom but does it say Olive wood FROM the Holy Land.

The church is the perfect place for this bowl.

Keith Burns
06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Bernie, this is really a great piece of work. Beautiful wood and well executed:) :)

Eddie Watkins
06-13-2006, 3:04 PM
Bernie,
nice work and nice wood! I'm still out here lurking so I do know what's going on.:)

Eddie

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2006, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the comments. I am going to present it to Father either tonight or tomorrow night. I think he will like it. My DIL wants me to make one for their priest Father Pat. So if I can find another piece which I have found is rather scarce I will do that.

Doug it does say Olive wood/Holy Land.

Eddie good to hear from you. Have you got that lathe dusty yet? I just turn when I have time which is about 1 day a week. With everything else going on it doesn't leave much time. Pretty quiet at work and that's the way I like it.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-13-2006, 5:31 PM
Bernie, that is a lovely bowl. A wonderful use for the wood, and a wonderful form and finish for showing it off. Father Norbert will be very pleased, I'm sure!

Ernie Nyvall
06-13-2006, 7:30 PM
Very nice Bernie. I'm sure your priest will be pleased.

Ernie

Curt Fuller
06-13-2006, 9:24 PM
Wow Bernie, they don't get much prettier than that.

Mike Ramsey
06-15-2006, 9:01 AM
Beautiful wood & great job on the bowl Bernie! Maybe the Priest will come
over & Bless your Lathe!

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2006, 9:51 AM
Beautiful wood & great job on the bowl Bernie! Maybe the Priest will come
over & Bless your Lathe!

Wouldn't that be great. Mike the lathe seems to be working better now that we got everything adjusted. The big belt is only about 1/8" about the pulley now at low speed instead of 1/2" or more as it was before. Anyway seems to be just fine now. Have turned this bowl and a box on it thus far with no problems.