PDA

View Full Version : Smallest box yet....

Michael Stafford
06-12-2006, 4:54 PM
Here is the smallest box I have turned to date. Made from Pau Ferro/Santos Rosewood this little box is 1 3/4" tall and 1 3/4" in diameter. I love turning this wood. It is very predictable and polishes up like glass. How do you like the little bead I left on the lid? This box is less than 3/32" thick in the sidewalls.

Keith Burns
06-12-2006, 5:00 PM
Very nice HF, eer, Box Big Mike. I do like the bead on the lid. It adds just the right amount of detail to say "I'm Special". :) :) You are approaching "mini" status but I think you have to be under 1".:D

Mark Cothren
06-12-2006, 5:04 PM
Love that box, Mike! I like the bead alright. Very nice finish on the insides with very clean corners. Once again impressive!

Barry Stratton
06-12-2006, 5:41 PM
That is NICE!! I like the top also. Have you thought of "inlaying" a silver dollar? Looks like it might fit....

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-12-2006, 6:03 PM
Big Mike, your skills never cease to amaze me. Lovely box! What's next, I wonder... Perhaps a 3/4" x 3/4" mosque-style box made from antler? :)

Dick Parr
06-12-2006, 6:09 PM
Looks great Mike, you are sure getting down there now.:rolleyes: Great job.;)

Michael Stafford
06-12-2006, 6:18 PM
Henry, I don't think my chubby little fingers will let me turn anything that small. I am too picky about how the inside is finished so if I can't sand it I won't be happy.

Barry, a silver dollar is almost as large in diameter as this box I think. I imagine a silver dollar would almost weigh as much also.....LOL

Thanks guys, I appreciate it....:D

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2006, 6:23 PM
Big Mike you went and did it again. What a great looking box. Love the form and finish especially the bead on top. Nice job as always Big Mike.

Corey Hallagan
06-12-2006, 8:47 PM
Mike that is one of your best I think. The wood is beautiful as always, you always turn the coolest wood! I really like the top detail on this one. Nice job!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
06-12-2006, 11:04 PM
That is some pretty wood Big Mike. Nice job. Do you use one of those flat tool rests for your boxes... the kind that sticks up in the box?

Ernie

Michael Stafford
06-13-2006, 6:40 AM
Ernie, yes, I do use a box rest for some of my boxes. The decision to use it is determined while I am turning. It is dependent on how deep the box is and how hard the wood is to turn. Thanks again for the nice feedback.

Jim Becker
06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Really lovely, Michael. The grain works well with the scale of the piece, too...makes it "feel" bigger. Nice!