PDA

View Full Version : Losing my shop

John Miliunas
09-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Yup, you read that right! And to think, I had just recently priced out the necessary insulation and ceiling covering to winterize it this fall! Why am I losing my shop, you might ask? We live in a rather large house, just under 3000 sq/ft. When we first bought it, we had two kids and were taking care of LOML’s mom & dad. Since that time, the occupancy has shrunk to SWMBO, LOML Juniorette and myself. Our youngest will be out of school in about 6 years and we decided that a downgrade will help us in the long run, both financially and physically. But, even though the house is big, my shop is (was) only 340 sq/ft. Let’s just say, it’s “cozy”. Still, it is (was) a shop and gave me much pleasure. Well, the place has finally sold. Looks like we’ll be out of this monstrosity on the 15th of October.

Our “new” place is only about 2000 sq/ft and we’re moving down to 3 acres instead of the current 5+. From four+ bedrooms down to three and I won’t have a dedicated computer room, either. (Hmmmm, but LOML still gets to have a sewing room!) We’ll be without our 40x80 machine shed. We’ll also be making do without much of a basement, either. There’s a smallish utility area “downstairs” (a ladder, actually!) for the…well…utilities. (HVAC, water, well, etc…) The place needs a fair amount of work, too. The kitchen is the absolute ugliest thing I’ve seen in a long time! Quite a few maintenance items need to be handled, though nothing major. Well, ok, the kitchen might lean more towards a major overhaul, but otherwise nothing really serious. All in all, I think we’ll be happy there. We’re still out in the country and the “new” place is in a more scenic area than our present home. Yup, should be ok, even if I don’t have that old shop. Wish us luck!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The “new” place had been owned by a fellow woodworker! There just happens to be a completely insulated, electrified and wood stove-heated shop attached to the garage. 1300+ sq/ft, including a dedicated finishing room. Guess I’ll just have to make do without my current 20x17 shop, heh? :cool:

Alan Tolchinsky
09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Yup, you read that right! And to think, I had just recently priced out the necessary insulation and ceiling covering to winterize it this fall! Why am I losing my shop, you might ask? We live in a rather large house, just under 3000 sq/ft. When we first bought it, we had two kids and were taking care of LOML’s mom & dad. Since that time, the occupancy has shrunk to SWMBO, LOML Juniorette and myself. Our youngest will be out of school in about 6 years and we decided that a downgrade will help us in the long run, both financially and physically. But, even though the house is big, my shop is (was) only 340 sq/ft. Let’s just say, it’s “cozy”. Still, it is (was) a shop and gave me much pleasure. Well, the place has finally sold. Looks like we’ll be out of this monstrosity on the 15th of October.

Our “new” place is only about 2000 sq/ft and we’re moving down to 3 acres instead of the current 5+. From four+ bedrooms down to three and I won’t have a dedicated computer room, either. (Hmmmm, but LOML still gets to have a sewing room!) We’ll be without our 40x80 machine shed. We’ll also be making do without much of a basement, either. There’s a smallish utility area “downstairs” (a ladder, actually!) for the…well…utilities. (HVAC, water, well, etc…) The place needs a fair amount of work, too. The kitchen is the absolute ugliest thing I’ve seen in a long time! Quite a few maintenance items need to be handled, though nothing major. Well, ok, the kitchen might lean more towards a major overhaul, but otherwise nothing really serious. All in all, I think we’ll be happy there. We’re still out in the country and the “new” place is in a more scenic area than our present home. Yup, should be ok, even if I don’t have that old shop. Wish us luck!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The “new” place had been owned by a fellow woodworker! There just happens to be a completely insulated, electrified and wood stove-heated shop attached to the garage. 1300+ sq/ft, including a dedicated finishing room. Guess I’ll just have to make do without my current 20x17 shop, heh? :cool:

John, I just want to wish you the best of luck on your move. It sounds like heaven to me with all that shop space. I was feeling sorry for you until I read the last part. That was pretty sneaky but funny. HOw do you plan to move all the iron? Alan in Md.

John Miliunas
09-11-2003, 11:01 PM
John, I just want to wish you the best of luck on your move. It sounds like heaven to me with all that shop space. I was feeling sorry for you until I read the last part. That was pretty sneaky but funny. HOw do you plan to move all the iron? Alan in Md.

Thanks for the well wishes, Alan. I don't have that much "big iron". A buddy is letting me use his trailer, which has a low loading height, plus ramps. The owner of our future home is also allowing us to get in and start moving as soon as we have a letter of committment from our buyers. Should be OK, I think. Lots of work, but worth it! :cool:

Tom Sweeney
09-11-2003, 11:04 PM
I read the subject line & who it was from & almost had a heart attack. Then as the page was opening I remembered you were looking to move to a better shop :D

Congrats John - couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Lets see a full kitchen renovation HMM should take about 8 months or so - but then you can do some real woodworking :rolleyes:

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Good for you John! You should be able to cram all sorts of new stuff in that new shop! :D Don't forget to take pictures..........we want to see pictures of the new digs! Good luck on the move............I would rather take a beating than move, but if sounds as if this will be one move that will be very enjoyable.............and you have something to look forward to in the end. Pictures.............don't forget the pictures! :D (Hows about a nice paint job on the new shop floor............it seems to be all the rage lately.) :p

Jim Young
09-11-2003, 11:19 PM
John, You had my heart bleeding for you. Then once I read the end I soon turned that bleeeding heart into dislike. I was duped into thinking you were hurting. Not sure I can recuperate from the sudden change of emotions.

Lucky Basta##

;)

David Rose
09-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Aw! Poor guy! I guess that means you'll have to spend more time in the old wood dust. What a shame! ...poor jerk... oh, I mean guy. :D Glad your downgrade is an upgrade.

David

Bob Lasley
09-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Dang John, I was almost in tears reading your post......til I got to the end.......now I'm green with envy! ;)

Congratulations and with all that shop room, I suppose you could build you a little computer room out there!

Good luck with the move.
Bob

Lloyd Robins
09-12-2003, 1:23 AM
All right, John! A new shop and Festool equipment. What a life! Enjoy!
(I will be only slightly jealous.) Post a picture when you can.

Jim Baker
09-12-2003, 5:09 AM
We live in a rather large house, just under 3000 sq/ft.

Our “new” place is only about 2000 sq/ft and we’re moving down to 3 acres instead of the current 5.

:cool:

Does cutting back 33% on the house you have to maintain and 40% on the amount of land you need to mow/maintain add up to a 73% increase in shop time? ;)

Congratulations on the upcoming move, It sounds like a great opportunity.

Jim Baker
09-12-2003, 5:13 AM
(Hows about a nice paint job on the new shop floor............it seems to be all the rage lately.) :p

We painted our shop floor with a Sherwin Williams 2 part epoxy before we moved in. I think it is a great choice. It really lightens and brightens the room, looks nice, and is a dream to sweep. It is a big job but I'd recommend it if you get the chance.

Jim Baker
09-12-2003, 5:19 AM

Sounds like the perfect place for next year's Badger State Sawmill Creek athering. I'll bet several Illini, Hoosiers/Boilers, Wolverines/Spartans, Hawkeyes, and Golden Gophers would come. Who knows, maybe even an old Crimson Tide man may show up, unless it's too far North.

Ken Salisbury
09-12-2003, 7:07 AM
Now that is what I would call a "Stealth Gloat"
-- Enjoy !!! --

Paul D. May
09-12-2003, 7:55 AM
What a scheister!

Good going John...we need to see some pics of the new place after you get settled in ....

Paul

John Miliunas
09-12-2003, 8:11 AM
Sounds like the perfect place for next year's Badger State Sawmill Creek gathering. I'll bet several Illini, Hoosiers/Boilers, Wolverines/Spartans, Hawkeyes, and Golden Gophers would come. Who knows, maybe even an old Crimson Tide man may show up, unless it's too far North.

Don't think I haven't thought along those lines! Most of the current gatherings are just a "wee" bit too far South or East for myself and, I'm sure, many of the folks you mention. Much will depend on how far along my renovations are, because me thinks the bulk of my "free" or "vacation" time will be consumed with said renovations. It would definitely be a hoot, though and LOML is one heckuva' cook and we both really enjoy entertaining. I'd certainly feel privileged to be inviting in such a wide array of talent! We'll just have to see how the improvements move along.... :cool:

Phil Phelps
09-12-2003, 8:19 AM
...bout time you closed the deal. That new workshop will really be nice, later on, when you can entertain the grandkids :D

Matt Woodworth
09-12-2003, 8:23 AM
You had me going. Congratulations on the new shop (oh yeah, and house too). I'm guessing you have some cabinets to build for the kitchen.

1300 sq ft. is larger than any non-production shop I've ever seen in real life. Enjoy.

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 9:34 AM
I could say something derogatory about the size of your new shop, but instead I'll just say, "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" :D

Robert Waddell
09-12-2003, 11:10 AM
You had me going John. As I read I was wondering why you chose the house you did. You seemed to be giving up everything. Then I got the answer in the last paragraph. Glad ya found a bigger shop.
I want to do the same thing. My SWMBO wants to, too. She seems to want me to have a fully dedicated shop more than I do. (working in the garage now) Maybe one day. I just dread the moving part.

Ed Falis
09-12-2003, 12:01 PM
YOh yeah, almost forgot. The ?new? place had been owned by a fellow woodworker! There just happens to be a completely insulated, electrified and wood stove-heated shop attached to the garage. 1300+ sq/ft, including a dedicated finishing room. Guess I?ll just have to make do without my current 20x17 shop, heh? :cool:

You oughtta be penalized 15 yards for that drive-by. Had us all commiserating, then threw the bomb!

Guess you could put the computer in the finishing room, eh?

- Ed

John Miliunas
09-12-2003, 12:13 PM
I could say something derogatory about the size of your new shop, but instead I'll just say, "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" :D

"Derogatory"? Please Jim, expound on that, would you? I've been in a pretty good mood since I got the news, so even something "derogatory" could probably be found to be amusing! :D :cool:

Jim McFall
09-12-2003, 2:55 PM
Please do not tell us also that the Taxes went down too !!

Enjoy your new area.

I'm hoping to do the same thing soon. One never knows.

John Miliunas
09-12-2003, 3:07 PM
Please do not tell us also that the Taxes went down too !!

Enjoy your new area.

I'm hoping to do the same thing soon. One never knows.

Hmmm...Funny you should mention the taxes. Actually, they didn't just go down, but about 1/2!!!! (Different county, less land, smaller house, etc...) Hey, now that I think about it, my homeowners' insurance should go down too! :D You guys are right...This whole "downgrade" thing is going to be hard to take! :D :rolleyes: :cool:

Chad Pater
09-12-2003, 6:20 PM
I'll bet several Illini, Hoosiers/Boilers, Wolverines/Spartans, Hawkeyes, and Golden Gophers would come.

Do you think a Viking fan would be welcome in the land of cheese? Probably not after last weekend. :p

John Miliunas
09-12-2003, 6:36 PM
Do you think a Viking fan would be welcome in the land of cheese? Probably not after last weekend. :p

Chad, you may see a Badger or Packer item or two (or three) in there, but as for visitors, the shop will remain "non-denominational"! We're all woodworkers and that's what counts!!! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
09-12-2003, 6:42 PM
After all the sobbing and tears from loosing your shop....I finally got to the point where you mentioned your "new" shop...!!! Big SMILE on my face and can't wait until I see pics of you suffering in that new little bitty shop space of yours.!!!!

<B>CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!</b>

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-12-2003, 7:07 PM
Really happy for you, John. Sounds like a dream come true.

Ron McNeil
09-12-2003, 8:36 PM
CONGRATULATIONS John,

The new house and shop sounds wonderful. I truly wish you and the family the best. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Bob Marino
09-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Don't think I haven't thought along those lines! Most of the current gatherings are just a "wee" bit too far South or East for myself and, I'm sure, many of the folks you mention. Much will depend on how far along my renovations are, because me thinks the bulk of my "free" or "vacation" time will be consumed with said renovations. It would definitely be a hoot, though and LOML is one heckuva' cook and we both really enjoy entertaining. I'd certainly feel privileged to be inviting in such a wide array of talent! We'll just have to see how the improvements move along.... :cool:

Hey John,

That new shop sounds like one nice gloat. I'm jealous! Let's see some pics when you have it up and running.

Bob

John Miliunas
09-13-2003, 12:00 PM
I greatly appreciate all the well wishes! Thanks to all!!! :D Yeah, I really can't wait to move into the "new" shop.....errrrrrr.....I mean, place. (I always seem to slip when talking about this move. Hmmmm...wonder why.) At any rate, it will be wonderful not having to "dance" around a shop anymore. Seriously. When I think about the shuffle, turn, twist, dip and shuffle again while navigating through my present shop, I'll bet you could just about choreograph a dance around it! I'll actually have the room to fulfill some of LOML's wish lists. I really won't have much of a choice, either. Besides the kitchen, she reminded me of a major renovation on the bathroom (forgot about that before!). Then, the folks buying our place offered to buy the bulk of our family room stuff. That includes a huge entertainment ctr., a smaller ent. ctr., bookshelf and humungo, cabinet-style computer ctr. All of that stuff was the store-bought (O'Sullivan, I think) DIY flavor. Well engineered, looks nice, but just plastic laminate and heavier than a '69 Buick Electra! So, the good news is, I don't have to MOVE that schtuff. Then, the good news is, I get to make new, custom units designed the way we really like it, plus out of REAL wood! Yup, gonna' be one busy hombre! :cool: