PDA

View Full Version : Well, I found out this weekend.....

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2006, 12:15 PM
That I SUCK at turning boxes. :o I guess I need to turn some more of them to figure out what I'm just not getting right.

Boy...I sure wish I could go and get a Big Mike Book on Turning Boxes...or a DVD of how it's done from The Box Master........

Oh well....time to get back in the shop and work on some "flatwork" today in hopes to make some time today for a little "roundwork".

Just wanted to share my frustration on box turning with my friends. :rolleyes: :D

Mark Cothren
06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Dennis, you KNOW I have the Raffan book over here...:rolleyes: Come borrow it anytime you want...

What do you think this is, your burfday?

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey Dennis I have Raffan's video on box making you could borrow. Let me know. Corey has it now but would send it down when I get it back sometime this week.

Happy Birthday Dennis.

Keith Burns
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Burfday ? Burfday ? Did somebody say Burfday?

HAPPY BURFDAY DENNIS !!!!!!!!!!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-12-2006, 5:42 PM
Well, a very happy birthday to you, Dennis!

Although I haven't been making attempts at turning boxes, I can feel your frustration---I've been turning goblets. I've been using a spindle gouge to hollow the endgrain. Sorby and Raffan both use the spindle gouge for endgrain hollowing, however Raffan uses a different method of holding/cutting than Sorby shows in the video available from Woodcraft's website. My frustration comes in when I'm trying to refine the interior shape and invariably get a catch at the bottom before I get the presentation angle right. I still can't get a good, smooth, flowing curve---I get a few curved spots, but the interior seems more faceted than flowing. :( I've also been considering regrinding my scraper to a french curve to try and get better refinement of the interior shape.

Good luck, and I hope you can soon be pleased with your boxmaking!

Gary DeWitt
06-12-2006, 5:52 PM
Negative opinion on using scrapers notwithstanding, I find them usefull for refining bowl and box insides where I can't get a good transition from the side to the bottom because I prefer a full width bevel on my bowl gouge. I suppose this is from being a relative newbie. I have yet to try a scraper with a burr left or turned on it, might be even better. Some people are using "negative rake" scrapers with some success. In other words, they grind a 5-10 degree bevel on the TOP of the tool. Supposed to help reduce tearout.

BTW, I find it allmost impossible to imagine you having trouble turning anything, after seeing all the great stuff you have pictured here.

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2006, 7:18 PM
Gary,

I'm one of those "negative rake" users and have found it to be very successful for me. :D I don't scrape a whole lot, but I do refine the inside of bowls with my bowl scraper and I reserve the scraper for lite finishing and gentle shaping inside a bowl or on one of those con-founded, dad-blasted boxes that I've been trying to turn. :o :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll go over to Mark's shop and watch him make a turned box since he's done some very nice ones that I've really enjoyed looking at as well as holding a few of them.

Thanks for the kind comment Gary. I try hard to improve on form, tool control and finish of my turned pieces. I still need a lot of improvement and I'm slowly getting there, but just not as fast as I would like. :rolleyes:

Negative opinion on using scrapers notwithstanding, I find them usefull for refining bowl and box insides where I can't get a good transition from the side to the bottom because I prefer a full width bevel on my bowl gouge. I suppose this is from being a relative newbie. I have yet to try a scraper with a burr left or turned on it, might be even better. Some people are using "negative rake" scrapers with some success. In other words, they grind a 5-10 degree bevel on the TOP of the tool. Supposed to help reduce tearout.

BTW, I find it allmost impossible to imagine you having trouble turning anything, after seeing all the great stuff you have pictured here.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2006, 7:53 PM
Dennis...........Quit your whining.........and get a scraper!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Dennis...........Quit your whining.........and get a scraper!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

I gots two of them thar scrapers. Ones fer bowls and ones fer whatever I can manage to find spinning on the lathe to use it.

I tell ya what I'm-uh gonna did Ken.....I'm going to try a nudder box and see what comes out of that attempt. Maybe Thursday night before I can, but I'm going to give it another shot. :D