PDA

View Full Version : delta lathes

edwinstephens
09-11-2003, 8:11 PM
Has anybody bought or seen one of the new Delta X5 lathes? THey're a 2 HP 16-42 lathe, I think. They're nice-looking from the Internet pictures I've seen, but I don't think any of the local woodworking stores have any of them, and I don't know of anybody in our local woodworking club that has one.

Just curious. I'm going to be buying a bigger lathe in the next few months, but I just can't justify buying a Oneway or Stubby or something like that, at least not as long as Jet and Powermatic and Delta are making the machinery they're making for the money they're charging.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jerry in Texas
:)

John Weber
09-11-2003, 8:21 PM
Tommy Skaggs has one over on WoodCentral and really liked it the last time I asked him about it. It does have some nice features for the money.

John

Jim Becker
09-11-2003, 9:08 PM
A close friend of mine went through two of the non-"X" versions of that lathe over the past year and ended up giving them both back due to a persistant recurring problem with the electronics...the lathe would just shut down when put under load. Delta could not fix it by replacing motors, controllers and even the whole machine. (It's apparently a "quietly" known problem as his experience was not unique) The real disappointing thing is that he doesn't get to turn all that much, either, as his business involves a lot of flat work for paying customers! He's now turning on the Jet 16" 2hp unit with narry a problem. Same cost, same capacity and a lot of nice weight down low with those PM-style cast iron "cowboy" legs.

Ken Salisbury
09-12-2003, 7:29 AM
Edwin,

I can't comment on the Delta X lathe since I have never seen or used one. However, I can comment on the Jet 1642 which I recently acquired. It is a sweet machine. You should consider this as an alternative to the Delta.

I selected the Jet 1642VS as an upgrade to my Jet 1236 partly as a result of reading a review by Dominic Greco. You can see that tool review by visiting Wood Central's Review/Articles section.

Dominic Greco
09-12-2003, 7:36 AM
Edwin,
I selected the Jet 1642VS as an upgrade to my Jet 1236 partly as a result of reading a review by Dominic Greco. You can see that tool review by visiting Wood Central's Review/Articles section.

<P>get a Jet-1642 Ken? I don't remember seeing anything on that!
<P><font color="#CC0000"><BIG><B>:>)</font></BIG></B>
<P>I'm glad you like that lathe. I know I'm still enjoying mine. It seems like a night can't go buy without me using it. And it has performed excellently on small and big work alike.

<P>Have you thought about adding a ballast box and/or trestle legs yet? They make this lathe even more fun to work at.

<P>Thanks for the plug about my article.
<P>See ya,
<P>Dominic

Dominic Greco
09-12-2003, 7:45 AM
A close friend of mine went through two of the non-"X" versions of that lathe over the past year and ended up giving them both back due to a persistent recurring problem with the electronics...the lathe would just shut down when put under load. Delta could not fix it by replacing motors, controllers and even the whole machine.

<P>Did your buddy get his lathe from <B>Woodworker's Haven</B> in Southampton PA? Frank and John (the owners) and I had a discussion when I first picked up my Jet-1642 and they told me an almost identical story. It was one of the reasons that I decided to go with the Jet.

<P>This is a pretty surprising defect. As a mechanical engineer, I've specified the use of Baldor industrial variable speed drives on many heavy duty applications. From what I hear, the techs at Delta were trying to pin the blame on current spikes. But the power at the lathe owner's shop turned out to be quite "clean" and free of spikes that would kill a vari-drive like this. I'm thinking that it might be an incompatibility between the motor and the drive. <SMALL><I>(But then again, I could be wrong)</SMALL></I>.

<P>See ya around,
<P>Dominic

Ken Salisbury
09-12-2003, 7:59 AM
get a Jet-1642 Ken? I don't remember seeing anything on that! Just got it the day before I left for Terry Hatfield's and haven't had a chance to try it out until this week. I didn't realize it when I made my purchase that my Mini Nova would not fit it (wrong thread size) so I am somewhat limited to what I can do right now. I do have a Super Nova on the way from KMS Tools (ordered yesterday). Maybe my box elder will show up so I can baptize the new chuck (a hint):D.
Have you thought about adding a ballast box and/or trestle legs yet? They make this lathe even more fun to work at.
I have looked at your photos and if I ever get time I am gonna add the trestle legs. I thought that was a great idea. As far as ballast is concerned I really don't see a need since that monster weighs so much -- I may change my mind if I see a need.
Thanks for the plug about my article.
No need for thanks - I only reference articles that I think are well written and have value. Even if some of them are written by Yankees :D

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 9:03 AM
<P>Did your buddy get his lathe from <B>Woodworker's Haven</B> in Southampton PA? Frank and John (the owners) and I had a discussion when I first picked up my Jet-1642 and they told me an almost identical story. It was one of the reasons that I decided to go with the Jet.

Yes, same situation. Russ, the customer, and I are good friends and also work for the same company. He's also a member of BWT, but only attends sporatically...which reminds me I need to remind him about the meeting!

All of my stationary tools including the lathe, but excepting my Griz combo sander came from Frank and John. They are incredibly nice folks to do business with.