PDA

View Full Version : Old lathe Tools

CPeter James
06-12-2006, 7:57 AM
I have some 50 year old lathe tools. How can I tell if they are HSS or carbon steel? One set is Craftsman with red handles and the other is Delta.

CPeter

Mac McAtee
06-12-2006, 9:35 AM
Old machinist and blacksmith trick.

Got a grinder? Hold a piece of steel against the wheel, A large shower of sparks like a sparkler going off is common carbon steel. Carbon steel sparks will also split, like a big spark will break apart and make two. Hold both samples hard against the wheel to do this. Carbon steel sparks will also be more yellow. A small tight or sparse shower of sparks that are much smaller is high speed steel. HS steel sparks will also be more red.

If you have a few scraps of both, try it and see. Train your eye. Like an old bolt and a newer knife blade. The reaction has nothing to do with if the steel has been heat treated or not.

Harry Pye
06-12-2006, 10:56 PM
If they are really fifty years old, they are almost guarenteed to be high carbon steel.

Bill Fields-ny
06-13-2006, 12:40 AM
I have the same chisels. They are HSS. My Dad bought them along with a DUNLAP (Sears) Lathe in 1959. Mom got a Kenmore Vacumm the same evening to soften the blow. I remember!

When Dad past away a couple of years ago he had promised a good friend his current lathe with the chisels. I talked the guy into taking a new set I had for my Dad's maroon handled Chraftsman chisels. Last fall a friend of mine sharpened them up for me and they work great.

Now all I need is my Dad's turning talent.........someday.