PDA

View Full Version : My extension sticks up.....

Greg Koch
06-12-2006, 3:27 AM
Errrr, the right cast iron extension on my Delta TS is flat on it's own, but the far right end is higher than the end that attaches to the table (sticks up...slightly) I have read that to solve this, I should loosen the bolts, put a strip of masking tape across the top of the end where the extension is bolted to the table. I should leave a little sticking out between the table and extension, and tighten up the bolts....then trim the tape flush. Has anyone else done this? It's not been that much of a problem, but I know it's there and I would like to fix it, if possible. If not this, any other quick fix that does not leave a noticeable gap between the table and extension?

Thanks.

Dan Forman
06-12-2006, 5:19 AM
Greg---You might find that masking tape compresses too much to make a good, long lasting shim. I would try to find a variety pack of brass shim stock. It will serve you well in the course of time for many situations. Try a machine supply shop. You might even start with a shim of aluminum from a soda can. If you are lucky, you can stop there.

Dan

Alan Turner
06-12-2006, 6:29 AM
Greg,
I used alum. foil to level out my SawStop, and their suggestion. Worked fine.

Jim Becker
06-12-2006, 9:47 AM
Like Alan...I have used aluminum foil for this application. It doesn't compress as much as tape would.

Chip Olson
06-12-2006, 1:15 PM
Aluminum foil; now there's an idea. I have the opposite problem on my 22114 (anhedral rather than dihedral), and have been too lame to try to locate some brass shim stock. Thanks!

Doug Shepard
06-12-2006, 1:49 PM
My extension sticks up.....

If it lasts longer than 4 hrs, you're supposed to notify your doctor immediately:D

Steven Wilson
06-12-2006, 3:14 PM
floppy disk label backing works well too. I use brass shim stock but not everyone has that lying around the shop

Allen Bookout
06-12-2006, 3:23 PM
I used brass shims also. I have a variety pack from Lee Valley. That way I could pick the exact thickness that I needed. I bought it to shim my old jointer tables but has come in handy for the cabinet saw and a few other things.

Greg Koch
06-12-2006, 3:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. On the brass shim material, is this a strip or half washers? Do you put it along the full length, or just sections left/center/right? I can get some at our local Ace Hardware, I believe.

Doug, I'll give him a call if it doesn't go down....LOL

Allen Bookout
06-12-2006, 3:50 PM
I just used a strip about 2" long and inserted it where the extension bolts to the table. Left it sticking up a little above the table and after tighening the bolts and checking for flatness trimmed it flush with a sharp knife.

Greg Koch
06-13-2006, 4:11 PM
Thanks for all the info/tips. I'm going to go to Ace and check out their shim material and do something with it...or try the foil trick.

Thanks again.