PDA

View Full Version : Tiptoe Through the Tulip(wood)

Vaughn McMillan
06-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Here are a few more simple things off the lathe...all are made from tulipwood, quickly finished with sandpaper to 1500 grit followed by a few coats of wipe-on poly and Johnson paste wax.

The Xacto knife is the new gift for my sister the graphics artist. (You may have seen the yellow heart version I posted pics of earlier, but I decided it was too bulky for her hands, so I did another one in tulipwood.)

The bottle stoppers are gifts for the photographer who shot our recent wedding. Although the shape is very simple, it was a challenge for my meager skills to have the angle of the wood mirror that of the steel stopper body, and also to make two exactly the same size. I messed up the first pair, so I ditched them and by the second go-round I had the process down a bit better.

The second shot is very similar, but I rotated the stoppers in the second shot to show off the grain. (Don't know why I didn't do the same with the knife.)

Comments and critiques are welcome, as always -

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Hey Vaughn I do like this Xacto knife as well. The stoppers look great! I have never turned tulipwood. Nice job Vaughn,

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Well the only comment I can come up with Vaughn is WOW. Those look awesome. Nice job on them.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Nice projects Vaughn!

Doug Thompson
06-12-2006, 1:19 AM
Very nice. I'm surprised more people don't turn Tulipwood.

Barry Stratton
06-12-2006, 1:19 AM
WOW!!! Those are winners!!!

There, comment and critique, as requested:D

Great job Vaughn, keep it up!

Michael Stafford
06-12-2006, 6:47 AM
I love tulipwood. I like the smell while working it as well. Nicely done, Vaughn!

Keith Burns
06-12-2006, 8:35 AM
Great job Vaughn. I like the simplicity that lets the wood show it's stuff:) :)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-12-2006, 5:29 PM
Lovely work, Vaughn! Looks like you matched the stopper angle very well, and the fine handle on the X-Acto is wonderfully executed. Great way to show off the wood grain as well!

Dick Parr
06-12-2006, 6:21 PM
Very nice Vaughn, that is some beautiful wood.

Frank Chaffee
06-12-2006, 8:43 PM
Vaughn,
You used to be a such a boar(d)ing guy, but recently you have become quite well rounded.

Cool tools guy, and I’m sure you will be rewarded with more than two lips.
Frank

Ernie Nyvall
06-12-2006, 8:52 PM
Very nice. I'm surprised more people don't turn Tulipwood.

Well, I've tiptoed with the idea, but haven't seen any around.:rolleyes:

Nice work Vaughn.

Ernie

Vaughn McMillan
06-12-2006, 8:56 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I forsee more tulipwood in my future...I really enjoyed working with it.

Frank, I'm still a boar(d)ing guy. ;) The next project that's soon to be completed is more flat stuff. Trying to keep a balance between the round and flat worlds.

- Vaughn

Dick Strauss
06-13-2006, 2:08 PM
Vaughn,
Boy is your sister going to be excited! That fantastic set is one that she'll have for the rest of her life for sure!

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-14-2006, 12:52 AM
They look GOOD to me, Vaughn!

Bruce