PDA

View Full Version : First Time Pic Post 9/16 Scale Chippendale

Gene DiNardo
06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.
I recently got a digital camera and just learning how to re size, so here goes.
If this works, this is a Philadelphia style Chippendale Highboy at 9/16 scale.
I used machines for preliminary dimensioning of the stock however, ALL surfaces and joinery were done with Hand tools.
This was my first attempt at Ball & Claw Feet this small (Whew!!)
The timber is from a nicely figured Urban Black Walnut that came down in a storm 6 or 7 years ago. I rough milled the lumber with a chain saw and air dried it in my wood shed.
The piece measures 41" H X 16 3/4" W X 12" D the base is 1 3/4" wider and deeper.
The Base is mortise and tenon const. The case is dovetailed, the drawer strechers are housed and dovetailed to the case sides.
The bach is frame and panel const.
All drawers are dovetailed front and back and the drawers in the upper case are slipped with a secret drawer in each one.
This is a jewelry box for my Daughter.
Thanks for looking.
Gene DiNardo40643

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Gene..........fantastic work! Your daughter will love it! I hope you dated and signed it. It's bound to be a family heirloom! Welcome to the Creek!

Greg Koch
06-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Awesome work, Gene. Do you have any more detailed pics, of the drawers etc.

Is the true color more like this or the back/front with doors closed pics?

And...Welcome!

Vaughn McMillan
06-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Wow Gene, that's an awesome piece. The wood is gorgeous, and your craftsmanship definitely shows.

Welcome to the Creek, too!

- Vaughn

Martin Shupe
06-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Gene, what a beautiful piece...congrats. Your daughter will love it for many years to come.

Mark Rios
06-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Silly me............I thought this thread was an off topic one about pint-sized, half-nude male dancers.

:D :D :D :D :D

Roger Everett
06-12-2006, 6:01 AM
Gene:
That's some awesome work. Aside from excellent execution, your eye for wood selection on the doors and drawers is impressive, as well as your eye for detail. Congrats on an excellent job.
Roger

Alan Turner
06-12-2006, 6:28 AM
Gene,
Very impressive indeed. And from a local!

There is a newly forming local chapter of SAPFM which you might be interested in. Shoot me an email and I will get you on the mailing list.

Bob Childress
06-12-2006, 6:56 AM
Gene,

What an impressive jewelry armoire. Great grain selection. I hope someday I can do half as well.

With that talent, I'm glad you quit lurking and jumped in. Welcome!!:)

Rob Millard
06-12-2006, 6:59 AM
Very nicely done.

Where did you get the hardware?

Rob Millard

tod evans
06-12-2006, 7:33 AM
nice work gene! small is really a bugger so this is even more impressive..02 tod

Barry Bruner
06-12-2006, 8:13 PM
I think someone used fantastic ,but I will use it again. Love the Chippendale and New England furniture, if you have anymore I would love to see them . BARRY BRUNER

Larry Cooke
06-12-2006, 8:43 PM
Very nice piece of work there Gene. I'm sure even though it's smaller it wasn't any easier to do. You're daughter will be very proud of it I'm sure.

Larry

Gene DiNardo
06-13-2006, 9:14 PM
Many thanks to ALL who commented.
You "Creekers" are THE nicest bunch of dustmakers anywhere on the web.
I held off on posting till I got a digital camera ( didnt want Tyler after me).
I'll show some const. pics as well as some of my other work when I get this re sizing thing down a bit better.
Many of you are a continued source of inspiration, Thanks for looking and making me feel welcome.

Alan, I have been a fan of your work for quite some time especially the Newport Kneehole and I might just be interested in checking out the local chapter of SAPFM.

Rob, You sir are a legend in the making in the Federal repro arena.
The hardware is from Ball& Ball (miniature series).
Thanks again, Gene

JIm McMullen
06-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Gene-Terrific job!! That is one handsome piece of work. Congrats! Jim