PDA

View Full Version : Finished another backsaw

Kurt Loup
06-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I finished a second backsaw this weekend. This one's blade is 12" long x 3" tall, including the 3/4" brass back. I cut the teeth in a rip pattern at 10 tpi. I used a blue Somax sawset set to the lowest setting/highest number. This resulted in very little set. I did a much better job of cutting consistently shaped teeth this time. The handle is made from bucote finished with shellac and wax. Above the saw, is a pair of dovetails I cut for practice. I'm pleased with the results. On the next saw, I'll try crosscut teeth.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/backsaw2-600x350.jpg

Ian Smith
06-12-2006, 1:19 AM
That's a nice looking saw Kurt. I like the grain in the handle.

Regards,
Ian.

Alan DuBoff
06-12-2006, 2:31 AM
Kurt,

Very nice! Great job on the brass back, and the handle is very nice. There's nothing quite like a handcrafted tool, kudos to 'ya! Someday I might make a saw...made one once, but gave it away. :confused: :o Maybe I'll make another saw after I get a workbench built.

Funny, I have a collection of workbench pictures that I've saved into a local directory, and your bench was one of the ones in there. I like the color of the top, nice.

Good job on that saw handle, that looks super!

Dan Forman
06-12-2006, 4:53 AM
Very nice job, I'm going to have a go at making a saw of similar size here soon. How thick is the blade on yours, and are you happy with the thickness? The Dovetails look excellent. Have you done any test tenons yet?

Dan

Alan Turner
06-12-2006, 6:31 AM
Great work! I am sure it is a pleasure to use. Why did you decide on a 10 ppi?

Matt Meiser
06-12-2006, 8:25 AM
That is a beautiful saw Kurt. Looks like it (and its owner) works well too.

Steve Wargo
06-12-2006, 8:50 AM
Very cool saw. Nicely done.

Kurt Loup
06-12-2006, 9:47 AM
Very nice job, I'm going to have a go at making a saw of similar size here soon. How thick is the blade on yours, and are you happy with the thickness? The Dovetails look excellent. Have you done any test tenons yet?

Dan

Dan,

Thanks. The blade is .020" thick. I purchased the steel from McMaster Carr. A 3" wide roll 5' long was $30-35. That should be enough for 5-6 saws. I'm not a saw expert, but the .020" thick steel seems to work fine. That is the size used on the LN dovetail saws. I assume they did their homework when choosing that thickness. I haven't tried any tenons yet.

Kurt

Kurt Loup
06-12-2006, 9:54 AM
Great work! I am sure it is a pleasure to use. Why did you decide on a 10 ppi?

Alan,

Simply because that is what LN uses on their coarse rip saw and my first effort at cutting 16 tpi didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I wanted to practice on coarser teeth. Surprising to me is the cut is smoother and faster than my old Disstons. To get the saw to start, only the weight of the saw is needed. If you weight the saw, it is somewhat hard to start. Next, I'll try crosscut teeth.

Kurt

Tim Barker
06-12-2006, 4:42 PM
That Bocote looks good. I'm glad to see more people building their own saws. The dovetails look go too.

Tim

Ed Nelson978
06-13-2006, 9:05 AM
That's a good looking saw. I haven't given much thought about making one myself, but these great pics of the saws you guys are making is making me consider doing so. How do you make the brass back?

Kurt Loup
06-13-2006, 12:25 PM
That's a good looking saw. I haven't given much thought about making one myself, but these great pics of the saws you guys are making is making me consider doing so. How do you make the brass back?

I used 3/4" x 1/8" brass laminated to the steel with epoxy. If the epoxy ever comes loose, I can always mechanically attach the brass. You can also make a folded back or a solid strip with a slot milled into it. The epoxy route didn't require any special tools or jigs.

Kurt