PDA

View Full Version : the dream job....do I want it????

Mark Singer
06-11-2006, 8:18 PM
One of my best clients that we are building a modern home for has asked me to make all the furniture for her home....First I gave her addresses to the top furniture stores in Los Angeles....B &B Italia, Modern Living, Holy Hunt, Espacio, cassina, Herman Miller, Dakota jackson,.....Well it didn't work she came back 2 weeks latter and was even more convinced that she wanted me to design and build it! I have done a few pieces for clients ....not too often any more....never an entire house! The list , after talking her out of a few pieces is still long...Dining Table and 8 chairs, 2 Coffee tables, Master Bed and side units, Master bath Bureau, Queen bed , 2 night stands, Another queen platform bed , 4 barstools ...She wants no veneer only solid wood. That was where the designer stuff didn't compare. so I gave her high prices .....she is fine with them:confused:
So the house is just starting framing and I have time to get a jump on it....I guess..The woods....wenge whenever possible, cocabola, walnut for the dining chairs. I can't even find wenge now....I have a wood broker shopping for me...he just found me 100 bf of Burmese teak for a sofa I am building for my friend Ed Lorbach....it will be similar to the Schindler Kings road sofa...I tried to design something, but that was what Ed wanted...so my hobby that I enjoy doing as a relaxation has officially become work now I need a hobby to relax from my other hobby...what about hang gliding?:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2006, 8:25 PM
Mark........that's a hard decision!

Is there any real craftsman nearby that would work with you. You could design the furniture and they could build it?

Good luck!

Ken Garlock
06-11-2006, 8:32 PM
Mark, see what happens when you get to be really good at what you do.:)

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Is wood working a hobby or a business? That is a decision that only you can make. Being the successful professional that you are, I would lean toward keeping WW a hobby.

If you are looking for a new hobby, go get your private pilots license. Lots of fun, but the sky over LA is just about as crowded as the highways.:eek:

Greg Koch
06-11-2006, 8:35 PM
There has to be some positive things in taking on the project...being able to do something you've never done before, or wanted to do but never had the opportunity? That, and making a good profit (read more new tools :D ) makes it a tough decision.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2006, 8:42 PM
Ken had the same thought as I did--can you design and have someone else do at least some of the production? Or even a skilled helper that can do some of the rough work and/or tedious work?

Fred Voorhees
06-11-2006, 8:56 PM
Mark, from pictures that I think I remember, hang gliding would be an option considering the cliffs that you have close by.:D

lou sansone
06-11-2006, 9:05 PM
hi mark
I am not sure I understand the post. it seems from the title that you are questioning this offer, yet from your last sentence in the body of the thread it appears that you have made the decision already. Are you still in the "considering it" phase, or have you really made the switch?

Lou

Todd Burch
06-11-2006, 9:07 PM
Mark, quit whining and start cutting! Sheez!!

Mark Singer
06-11-2006, 9:32 PM
My signature line has come to get me! I lied love of work does not keep it from being work...its work...I have always enjoyed almost everything I have done....as an Architect , a builder and furniture maker....love yes...work yes too! It flipped on me and all the love in the work will never make that much work not work...I love it as much as most things I do...I can maybe just stretch it out and take a break in between pieces....I love the opportunity to design and build original pieces..
If I had another crafstman do them she would not accept them...she collects art and that is that. Solid wood and I must build them...it adds value in her mind...
She has flexibility on the schedule and I am almost done with the Balboa house...so the timing is good. My guest house furnitre can wait...I just need to get away for a few weeks and I will be fine...

Mike Henderson
06-11-2006, 9:36 PM
I agree with the advice already given. You should design it and have it built by craftsmen whose work you respect. Anyone who has had the training and sufficient experience can build from plans. But design ability is not given to everyone. I'm sure that's the reason the client wants you to build the furniture - not because you do good joinery.

But even with that advice, I might hold one or two items back for myself to build - items which really appealed to me either because of the design or the wood to be used.

Good luck!

Mike

P.S. If you can't subcontract the work out, you could hire one or more competent people to work in your shop, under your direction, to help build the pieces.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-11-2006, 9:44 PM
She seems to have plenty of confidence in you.
That leaves only two not necessarly related questions

1.) do you have the same confidence?

2.) What do you want to do, build houses or design & make furniture? Odds are doing one may prove to exclude the other.

My 2 cents: Build houses for money and make furniture for passion. There are some arty furnitore makers who sell pieces for up to $15-Grand a pop & just for a table & chairs too. But like boxing it's not everyone who gets to be champeen but everyone has to pay the dues.

If you are building houses for a living you have already paid that set of dues.

Jim Becker
06-11-2006, 9:58 PM
Mark, I recall talking with you about this on my most recent visit. I think the biggest factor to consider is that of time...you would need to stretch it out so it doesn't interfere with the business(s) as well enjoying friends and family. Trust me, I truly understand that balance issue right now! But even then, I almost think you would need to acquire a helper to get all that furniture done in a reasonable period of time. That's a LOT of stuff to hand-craft...and a lot of splinters to dig out considering the wenge specification... ;)

Steve Gray
06-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Mark,
Personal experience here, I hope it makes sense......
I was always really good with my hands and loved high horsepower engines and fast cars. This love shaped most of my early years, including my major in college and career choice. I've worked as a ASE master auto machinist then as a ASE master auto and diesel mechanic, then finally moved to supervising a medium sized fleet. I sold my last "fast" car 3 years ago. I really just lost interest. I worked a little over 20 years at my "love" and finally just plain got burned out.
So.... my advice would be to take a long look at your other obligations in life and decide how much time you are willing to devote to this project.

"Farming out" some of what you design might be a good idea, if you know people that can build up to your standards.
Having "employees" is a whole different ball of wax, though. That will make "work" out of your "love" very quickly.
If you can devote enough time to totally do this project yourself without feeling "guilty" about the other things you put on hold, then go have a blast!!!
BUT, if you are going to stretch yourself too thin by doing too many things at once, you had better rethink......
Just an opinion from someone who knows about being stretched too thin!!!:)

Kevin Herber
06-11-2006, 10:03 PM
What a heck of an opportunity :) . Does it have to become an everyday thing, a second career? Perhaps not. How many furniture pieces do you normally make in a year, or a year and a half? Can you just make this your "hobby" production for however long it takes to do it?

I know the pressure to deliver will be on, but you said that she will work with you on time. If she is tuned in to fine art I bet she will give you the time you need.

After the smoke clears from this commission, then decide if this is what you want to pursue. I vote for doing it. You will have fun, make some bucks, and have a pretty darn good portfolio of you want to pursue it further.

-- Kevin

Joe Mioux
06-11-2006, 10:06 PM
That new jointer planer needs a work out and SMC'rs need more furniture building documentaries.! ;)

John Miliunas
06-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Mark, you're right: It is work but, I've had the privilege of seeing both, your work and you doing the work. Man, in either case, there is no lack of love!!! :) You're an artist, my friend. In every sense of the word, a true artist. And, having said that, most any artist in the art of their choice, is most happy to show you their latest piece...Their work. Their work of art! :) I don't know your client but, she selected you to design her home. Not "just" as an architect but, as an artist. For the same reason, she also requested you design and build her furniture. Not just any plain old furniture but, pieces of functional art, as are all the pieces I've seen you design and build. I daresay that she too, is an artist. Oh, not necessarily one who designs or paints or builds. She is one who appreciates, displays and is proud to own exemplary pieces, done by extraordinary artists. The eye and the feeling and the passion to select such a collection is an art unto itself.

I'll go further and venture to say that this lady takes great pride, not only in the pieces she owns, but also, in showing them to each and every person who enters her home. And in doing so, she shares those feeling, as well as the feelings and the love of each artist who created the art forms. Mark, you know you love this craft and it would not mean nearly as much if your weren't able to share that love with others. :) I think you've already decided to take on the challenge, but now, you just need to fall in love with it!

How about you just go out to the shop, grab one of your Dad's old planes and take a swipe or two at a chunk of Wenge?! Maybe sit back and "talk" to Peter about some of his ships and the great times you had, much of which was related to your love of woodworking. I believe that you may find yourself building some of the greatest pieces ever! :D Good luck to you, my friend and, be sure to keep us posted on progress! :) :cool:

John Scarpa
06-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Mark,

I found this thread to be an interesting read on the balance between our passions and our work. That is until I read Joe Mioux's comment about more furniture building documentaries...:) Then I just smiled and thought "Oh yea we do NEED that!" Seriously, You are at heart a designer and a creator of objects that fold beauty and function together... so go get inspired and have fun already.

John

Larry Norton
06-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Model Railroading! Then you can spend another $10,000 on something other than tools!

Mark Singer
06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Mark, you're right: It is work but, I've had the privilege of seeing both, your work and you doing the work. Man, in either case, there is no lack of love!!! :) You're an artist, my friend. In every sense of the word, a true artist. And, having said that, most any artist in the art of their choice, is most happy to show you their latest piece...Their work. Their work of art! :) I don't know your client but, she selected you to design her home. Not "just" as an architect but, as an artist. For the same reason, she also requested you design and build her furniture. Not just any plain old furniture but, pieces of functional art, as are all the pieces I've seen you design and build. I daresay that she too, is an artist. Oh, not necessarily one who designs or paints or builds. She is one who appreciates, displays and is proud to own exemplary pieces, done by extraordinary artists. The eye and the feeling and the passion to select such a collection is an art unto itself.

I'll go further and venture to say that this lady takes great pride, not only in the pieces she owns, but also, in showing them to each and every person who enters her home. And in doing so, she shares those feeling, as well as the feelings and the love of each artist who created the art forms. Mark, you know you love this craft and it would not mean nearly as much if your weren't able to share that love with others. :) I think you've already decided to take on the challenge, but now, you just need to fall in love with it!

How about you just go out to the shop, grab one of your Dad's old planes and take a swipe or two at a chunk of Wenge?! Maybe sit back and "talk" to Peter about some of his ships and the great times you had, much of which was related to your love of woodworking. I believe that you may find yourself building some of the greatest pieces ever! :D Good luck to you, my friend and, be sure to keep us posted on progress! :) :cool:

Wow...you are pushing all the buttons....! I love your post John...very sentimental...I really enjoy the work...still work though...If I take my time it can work for both me and the client...my Father always said, "just one thing at a time" that always seems to work.... I will probably get the chairs done and that will take some pressure off...she as art storage she is an international art dealer...and can store each piece as I complete them. That will allow me to start now and finish after the house is done...

Vaughn McMillan
06-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Mark, I think this client's on to something. She knows the value of having a Singer house furnished by Singer himself. If I could afford it, I'd do the same.

Sounds like you've come to a workable compromise between doing it for the enjoyment and doing it for the work. Take your time, and you'll be creating history. I'll look forward to watching the process.

- Vaughn

Seth Poorman
06-12-2006, 1:04 AM
Mark
Congrats on the opportunity ! Whether you decide to do it or not you have made a great accomplishment for yourself....;)

Good Luck !!!

Dan Forman
06-12-2006, 5:40 AM
Mark---I think that here is a great opportunity for you to see how you feel about doing this kind of work on a limited basis. I would be very up front with your client, tell her exactly how you feel, and then agree in advance on an exit strategy if you begin to feel that it's too much. I bet that she would go for it. Wish I lived next door to you, I'd volunteer to be your apprentice (that, and if I lived in your neighborhood, i'd have a much nicer house too!)

Dan

John Bailey
06-12-2006, 5:53 AM
Choices like these keeps a person young at heart. I couldn't say it any better than John M., so I won't try. Go for it!! She trusts you.

John

tod evans
06-12-2006, 8:00 AM
mark, from what little i know of you only through this forum, creativity is in your blood and money is no longer the quest. obviously this lady places great value in your ability to design and construct both her house and it`s furnishings. does this sound like the works of an architect most of us admire from years gone by? i think she has paid you the ultimate compliment just by making the request. also i don`t believe that you`ll find the "job" as much work as you fear, pouring part of you into pieces of wood you personally join is far more rewarding than designing for others to build. so my advice is to jump in with both feet and enjoy every step of the journey because when you complete the house and furnishings the real work starts...finding the next challenge....02 tod

Earl Kelly
06-12-2006, 8:32 AM
Mark,

Congratulations!! Evidently this Client sees something in you and your work and desires just that. I would allow myself ample time to complete the pieces, then double that. Hopefully that would give you enough cushion to work on the pieces without suffering from deadline burnout. From what you've stated about the client, she should be OK with that.

Mike Leone
06-12-2006, 8:42 AM
Hey I used to hangglide 20+ yrs ago until I had an accident and broke both legs. If you took up hangglidding all else will become secondary, your ww will suffer. You will be checking the wind sock every day. look at the clouds, stay glued to the wheather channel to find the best site for the day,

Mike Wilkins
06-12-2006, 9:22 AM
You are facing a problem that a lot of us wish we had. Not often an opportunity like this comes along.
I do restorations and build from scratch; lately more resto work and less build work. Opposite of what I would like. At least you can learn from restoring how not to build a piece of furniture.
If you are planning to tackle this task, plan first, then start cutting. Have a daily goal in mind, don't try to knock it out all at once, and you will be done before you know it.
Good luck and watch those fingers. Great time to exercise that new J/P.

Gail O'Rourke
06-12-2006, 9:28 AM
HI Mark, I don't know what to add to this thread - but once, when I was overwhelmd about a large decision - a wise person said to me - start at the top of the page. Decided to make or not the first piece of furniture, keep each piece or room a decision of it's own.

Best of luck with this exciting opportunity. You already know what you want to do, just do it.

Jack Hogoboom
06-12-2006, 9:32 AM
Mark,

We could always all come out there and help you....;)

From what I've seen, it would be a fun trip. With all of us working together, it'd probably only take a couple of days....:rolleyes:

Those of us who are not as skilled could do the basic cutting and sanding, the higher end guys could do the finer touches and you could supervise the whole thing. Kind of like Habitat for Humanity on a grander scale....

You'd just have to keep John away from the beer until we were done.....

Jack

Chris Yarish
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I would be honored to have someone pick me over the likes of B & B Italia. But the balancing act between passion and obligation is the crux of the problem.

Byron Trantham
06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Mark, I think I know what you are considering. You might ask yourself this; "If I say no, how will I feel about that decision a month from now?" You played the "I'll charge my way out the decision." It apparently didn't work. Work?, yea. Think about the results though. You will have pretty much designed a home from "stem to stern". How many of us have EVER had that kind of opportunity?

Andy Hoyt
06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Mark - I won't bother to offer yet another suggestion because I believe that deep down you already know what to do.

But this thread has given me pause to consider something else.

I wonder if Charles and Henry Greene ever had a similar dilemma?

And we sure know what their answer was.

Charlie Plesums
06-12-2006, 11:22 AM
What an honor and complement to your work and to you as a person to work with. Congratulations.

RE: the hobby question. When I retired from computer consulting to build furniture full time, I finally got a decent lathe. Whenever I wanted a break, another few bowls appeared in the house. My wife calls the lathe my hobby, now that furniture is my "work." She may be right.

RE: the commission. Sounds like you have a great relation with this "prospect." Why don't you go back, and say "I'll take a commission for one room, but not the whole house. You pick the room. I pick the speed of delivery, so it doesn't destroy my lifestyle or my other business, but I will do that room for you, personally. When that room is done, we can talk about another room if it hasn't taken too long and you are still interested. And another, and another, as long as we both want to do it." That way, the pressure of a whole house is off. And if she wants results faster than you want to work on it, she is free to go to Crate and Barrel (or whatever).

A side note from the consulting business... a huge customer sounds great... but it can destroy a business. When the work is done, or if the deal goes sour, the pipeline is empty, and the "grapevine of friendly contacts" remember you as "not available, dedicated to one customer." I don't recommend more than 50% of your business be from a single customer, and 20% would be better.

M. A. Espinoza
06-12-2006, 11:46 AM

That is what came to mind as I read this thread: Greene & Greene and Wright and other architects that designed furnishings, fixtures, and decorative items as part of the commission.

They certainly didn't actually build the pieces (yes, one of the Greene's did some carving) but they are known as their work.

I know the client expressed wanting to have every piece built by Mark but maybe the suggestion to build the "feature" pieces and sub to a local craftsperson on some of the others would be a way to go. Nobody thinks of pieces from the Blacker or Gamble House as "Hall Furniture".

I have known a couple of guys that were successful in one field and actively resisted making their hobby their main focus so it would not become "work". When you start thinking of "having" to get into the shop its not nearly as fun.

But if she is willing to wait and Mark doesn't think it will be all-consuming then what a great job. The client might be as excited as Mark.

Congrats however it works out, very flattering to have a person request that you basically create their entire home environment.

And now I have to get out to the shop.;)

Dave Anderson NH
06-12-2006, 1:32 PM
It looks like you're pretty well committed Mark, both from the standpoint of having said maybe and then yes, and because you really deep down WANT to do it. It is something you normally enjoy, and it's a challenge from a design viewpoint in that ti's a complete house and must have some central theme or themes. Given your client, you will not have the option of farming out the work, but some assistance should not offend her and it allows you to retain "ownership".

Looking to the future, I see your client showing off your work and generating new business for you whether you desire it or not. Perhaps it's time to start building a list and network of custom furnituremakers and their portfolios so you can make referals for other interested potential clients. It's a great way of not getting in over your head and eliminating any free time you have in the future. It also helps out artists of whom you approve.

Steve Wargo
06-12-2006, 1:49 PM
Well said Andy. Well said. Congrats Mark, That's one heck of a "pickle" to be in. Can't wait to see the images when you're finished. That will be one for the highlight reel.

Jay Knoll
06-12-2006, 2:02 PM
Mark

Well, no one is talking about the downside of this, heck if you're going to be that busy, we're probably not going to be getting any posts from you!

Seriously, a wonderful opportunity -- you're getting lots of good advice here. One of the suggestions of a pack of Creekers heading west got me thinking -- how about an apprentice or two? They would certainly ease some of the burden if you got the right ones, allowing you time to pursue your other endeavors. From what I've seen, anyone who is interested in woodworking/design and wanted to learn would jump at the chance.

Best of luck

We all look forward to pictures

Jay

Brett Baldwin
06-12-2006, 2:44 PM
I joked about it in another of your threads and others have brought it up as well but I do think a limited apprentice situation would be a very good idea for this project. You might look for a student in a design, MFA or woodworking program to do the grunt work for you so that you can concentrate on the design, shaping and joining parts. It would excellent hands-on experience for them plus a little cash in their pocket and you can devote your time and enrgy to the details. Plus, you will need someone to keep the photojournal of this epic project anyway so make usre your apprentice has a photography fetish as well.:D It really is an amazing opportunity.

Peter Pedisich
06-12-2006, 3:23 PM
Mark,

What about having someone film the process and producing a set of instructional DVDs?
I'm betting a lot of folks here would buy them.

Pete

John Lucas
06-12-2006, 3:37 PM
She has flexibility on the schedule and I am almost done with the Balboa house...so the timing is good. My guest house furnitre can wait...I just need to get away for a few weeks and I will be fine...
Mark, having just taken 6 extra months to do a DVD and it almost took my last breath, be careful with what you take on. It sounds like a dream task(s) if you have the time and dollars to do it without sacrificing your life. There seems to be such diversion in the pieces she wants, that that may give you some "break".
Good luck

Scott Coffelt
06-12-2006, 4:06 PM
Don't you just hate it when they go for your high-ball price, that's when you know people really like your work. I'd just pace yourself and I am sure the client will understand that it will take awhile to build all of that and still have your normal work life. Looking forward to your progress.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-12-2006, 4:15 PM
"Dream job"= your words.
Just a thought.

Jerry Olexa
06-12-2006, 6:18 PM
My humble opinion: when what you love to do becomes work with significant volume and time pressure, it is no longer fun. The money is not the issue. Its keeping that delicate balance between enjoyable hobby and fulltime, demanding work...Just IMHO

Henry Cavanaugh
06-12-2006, 6:50 PM
What a nice problem to have. If building houses you have workers of different skill levels why would the furniture be different Maybe you could designed the piece, and over see its building and do some of the true art work like carving or marquetry etc.If she wants the furniure in this life time explain others need to be invoved, or you can only do x number of pieces. Go for it in comfortable bite sizes.

Steven Evans
06-12-2006, 7:20 PM
Well, I did not read every post on this thread but I say go for it. I am also not sure what your concernes are in making your decision. Sounds like you are going to do it. If time is truely that tight. Maybe you can make furniture for her one room at a time.

I built 4 very large boat conference tables(12-16ft) for an office. They were willing to buy tempory furniture while I made there custom tables. Took me about 2 months for each. Money was no object to them there temp furniture cost more than I would have spent in the first place. :eek: I simply told them up front I had a small shop and it may take me a year to get them all done. They only asked I get the largest one done first in 6 weeks for an office warming party.

I think the customer took pride in telling people it took them 8 months to have them custom built and bragged about how much they spent. Just my own speculation there.

RichMagnone
06-13-2006, 7:20 AM
Mark, you may be too far along for this, but she considers your pieces art. If you do undertake this commission, then you need to charge like it is art and you need to do it at an artist's pace - ie. over a long period of time. Also, art is not rushed. If you took a year off between pieces to clear your mind, she should be understanding about it.

Otherwise, pass. People should do what maximizes their value. I should not be rebuilding a transmission on a car just because I can if I can do my "job" for more money.

Mike Cutler
06-13-2006, 8:00 AM
Mark - I won't bother to offer yet another suggestion because I believe that deep down you already know what to do.

But this thread has given me pause to consider something else.

I couldn't have stated it any better than Andyhas.

I say "Just Do It". Charge a fair price for your "custom work". Make sure that the client realizes that it may take a few years to finish everything. Sub out the rough milling, and cutting to dimension. Do the joinery, assembly and finishing yourself.

It is a difficult decision to take something that you enjoy, and do it for money. It takes the "romance" so to speak out of it. I know that I personnaly would not want to work to a definitive timeline.

It's a little hypocritical of me to take this position. I have turned down requests to do woodworking for $$$$ because I want to continue to enjoy it.

One of the facets to your "problem" that would tilt the table for me, is that the client does not want run of the mill furniture,made as cheaply as possible. Specifying all solid woods, and the selection of the woods that you listed. Well....,to have that amount of latitude, to be able to create and build furniture of that quality would be very difficult to decline.
I further suspect thatthe reason that she wants to have you build the furniture is that she has already contacted other custom makers, and they have told her how "they would do it", and with you it may be a matter of how "we" can do it. Still, it will be a lot of work.

Kent Parker
06-13-2006, 9:21 AM
Mark,

Plenty of heartfelt advise hear which is not at all suprizing. Your dilemma has given many of the Creekers an opportunity to give back to you that which you so freely give to us all on a regular basis.

I think the mindset of many woodworkers involves challenge. To be able to invision a beginning and an end and to enjoy the process and the comfort it brings. Do you need such an extended journey? Will making one table match the fulfilment of making three or four or a whole flock of furniture?

Many of my projects during my woodworking career were long time jobs just as boat building or building interiors in boats. It certainly takes commitment however I would not be who I am without the challenge.

Its a good thing.:cool:

Cheers,

Kent

Bob Powers
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Mark,

A hobby ceases to be a hobby when the word "deadline" enters the picture. Can you imagine a client who never uses the word?

Mark Singer
06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the many thoughtful responses it has helped to clarify my position and approach to taking on this large commission. A similar parallel is my approach to Architecture.....it is a business for me now and for the last 30 years, yet it has never ceased to remain a passion. I have tried to make my Architecture artful yet I avoid trendy and impractical solutions ....in my mind it needs to work as a home for the client and to celebrate life and all each building site has to offer. At the beggining my fees were extremely low and as I garnered more built work I was able to raise my fees which has made all the work more rewarding. Obvious as that seems , when you are very young sometimes the work itself is enough of a reward... I have worked a long time to enjoy the rewards I am recieving as an Architect....its hard to stop now and worlwide there are many very old Architects and not one retires! Oscar Neimeyer is over 90...still practicing and very active. Jorn Utzon, I. M. Pei, Sverre Fehn, Sir Norman Foster, Alvaro Siza, Richard Meier, Michael Graves and many others have never stopped practicing....it is their lifes blood and while none of these guys needs to work....they do and with as much passion as ever!

My client would be probably happy with the furniture I have designed and built for my own home. While that would be an easy solution, what is the point? It would begin to be a production of sameness....like tract homes...no specific design , just repitition. I must design each piece specifically for its location in her home and for her......now I feel the passion that I must feel to move forward! It is not about the money as many have stated.....I see it as an extension of my work ...a " next Phase" to the home home that is being built. Just as the home must feel in concert with the land on which it sits....each table, bed and chair must feel at home and enhance and be inhanced by its sourroundings...It is a marriage and each partner , the home and the furniture, is thrives on and lives for and with the presence of the other.
For me it is also an opportunity for design innovation....but with great restraint...
A new chair design is always exciting.....mine are never easy that to build because of the reponse to the human form and it must be comfortable!
The beds and tables are easy, once designed ...I have built many and the forms and surfaces are unadorned ....I am always seeking out a simple form that is new in some subtle way....this is found through the design

So with as much passion as I approach Architecture I can move forward , taking each task one at a time. She stated "This is the only home and furniture I will ever own" ....talk about pressure?:rolleyes:

tod evans
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
mark, i don`t see pressure, i see you thriving in your element! have fun. tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Mark, A hobby ceases to be a hobby when the word "deadline" enters the picture. Can you imagine a client who never uses the word?

A wise old man once said "There ain't nothing that takes the pleasure out of a thing like making a business out of it."

Of course, that probably can't be an absolute maxim for everyone. Some folks thrive on deadlines. Some folks can see right past the stress of other people's expectations. Everyone is different.

Ken Garlock
06-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Mark, you understand your achievements, you understand your passions. Have fun expressing yourself in furniture. I am sure you will be successful.

Ernie Kuhn
06-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Mark,
A 60 year old perspective.
She asked, you sent her to others, she came back. You gave her prices and, she didn't blink.
Sounds like if you tried to back out know, would only tick her off. Evidently a good customer and no doubt, has lots of other $ contacts.
I think, if you can negotiate "reasonable" time frames, something that doesn't burn you out and has her understanding that your architectural professional work must come first IF there gets to be a conflicting schedular crunch, you are on the hook. You know, the old offer and acceptance bit. You offered prices and she accepted. It does not have to mean a longer commitment to furniture design/build other than for her. It is a lot of work and, from her perspective, YOU have to do the work. Speaks very highly of your reputation and the esteem she holds of your work.
Do it this time. She will no doubt get lots of unsolicited referrals for you for additional work which you are at liberty to accept or politely decline. You will be able to be extremely choosey about future furniture work, accept the odd commission here and there, the ones that really interest you, the ones that you can pour your passion into and take the time you want. It could be relaxing, excursions into flights of fancy if you call the design shots and, extremely lucerative on a piece by piece basis as you agree to take on the work. Maybe only one or two pieces a year.
Sorry for the philosophical bent. It does appear you are on the hook, for this one. Enjoy, and negotiate a delivery schedule that allows for the other, important things in your life.
Ernie

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 1:11 PM
Mark,
Having meet and spent a day with you at Sam Maloofs and read many of your insightful posts I feel you already know the answer to the question. Your passion for wood working and design and your craftsmanship make this challenge even more exciting for you. The fact that there dosn't seem to be any time restrants on this project make it even more appealing. I would however take a lesson from Sam and get a helper/apprentice to do some of the tasks such the sanding and finishing etc. Good luck my friend and I look forward to seeing this project in its entirity.

Charlie Plesums
06-15-2006, 1:08 AM
Even Sam Maloof does repetitive work...

http://americanart.si.edu/maloof/design/fig118.jpg

Now you can too :)

Philip Duffy
06-15-2006, 5:14 AM
Mark, Do you have a full year of time to accomplish this task? Sounds like you will need a year, or more. If all this includes the kitchen cabinets and living room furniture as well as the dining room, you have a whole lot of work infront of you! OTOH, no one else will do, so why not get going? Good luck and we all look forward to seeing the pics.

Mark Singer
06-15-2006, 9:04 AM
Mark, Do you have a full year of time to accomplish this task? Sounds like you will need a year, or more. If all this includes the kitchen cabinets and living room furniture as well as the dining room, you have a whole lot of work infront of you! OTOH, no one else will do, so why not get going? Good luck and we all look forward to seeing the pics.

Philip,
No kitchen cabinets...they will be Siematic

Cecil Arnold
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
So Mark, if you do this and decide to take on a helper/apprentice, do you have a place for John M. to sleep, and will your employee policy allow him to moonlight in IT?;) :)

Hunter Wallace
06-15-2006, 4:24 PM
Hey Mark, as Cecil alluded to, one of us could do it
in your stead!!!;)