PDA

View Full Version : Elite S workout....

Mark Singer
06-11-2006, 7:59 PM
Whem my MM Elite S jointer / planer arrived I had some electrical issues....it appears that they are now well resolved and the Buck /Boost Trasformer that was added to lower the voltage going into the phase converter was the trick. I just finish running 500 bf of mahagony for stair treads through the machine....no ptoblems! I face jointer....planed and edge jointed countless boards of 8/4 stock and it was effortless...well not really ...I am beat;) ...That is a lot of heavy stock all in the rough...12 treads are already finished and all the lumber is dressed and ready for glue up...only 31 more treads to go....only:confused:

Richard Wolf
06-11-2006, 8:06 PM
Sounds like some nice stair building going on. Post some pics of the finished stairs.

Richard

Brett Baldwin
06-11-2006, 8:23 PM
Good to hear your machine is getting its proper feeding of electrons now.
I was just thinking that although your new machine and all its sundry components set you back a fair amount, imagine what the cost would be to have to do that by hand. No wonder apprentices used to only get room and board. A guy couldn't make a living if he had to pay the labor that goes into prepping stock by hand.

Mark Singer
06-11-2006, 9:34 PM
Sounds like some nice stair building going on. Post some pics of the finished stairs.

Richard
Richard,
It is another of my mixed media stair designs...

http://marksingerarchitects.com/MSA-Images/2.jpg

Jim Becker
06-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Hey, Mark...those look much better than the temporary plywood ones did! :D :D :D

Actually, they look OUTSTANDING!

John Scarpa
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Beautiful.... Would have had trouble doing that on an 8" jointer!

Mark Singer
06-12-2006, 12:00 AM
The stairway is another I did and I am using it in the example of what the one in the Balboa house will look like. The big jointer helped with the rough stock....many boards were 8" to 11" in width and it is not possible to face joint directly...so yes a big help!

Mike Wilkins
06-12-2006, 9:27 AM
Do you have a power feeder for the jointer part of the J/P?? I have seen others mount a feeder on their jointer, making it less of a chore to push those heavy timbers across by hand. Just food for thought. Probably some pricey food at that.

Jack Hogoboom
06-12-2006, 9:36 AM
Mark,

The Neander guys just had a collective heart attack thinking about how long it would've taken to hand plane those stair treads!!!!

J.

Mark Singer
06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Do you have a power feeder for the jointer part of the J/P?? I have seen others mount a feeder on their jointer, making it less of a chore to push those heavy timbers across by hand. Just food for thought. Probably some pricey food at that.

No power feeder....just me;)

Roy Wall
06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Mark -

Are you saying you got the "loud humming noise" issue resolved?? Or was that in the phase converter....I forget?:confused: :eek:

Your machine is already paying off!!:D

Mark Singer
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Mark -

Are you saying you got the "loud humming noise" issue resolved?? Or was that in the phase converter....I forget?:confused: :eek:

Your machine is already paying off!!:D

Roy,
The phase converter is still very noisy....I need to enclose it!

Byron Trantham
06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Man, Mark, the finish is just gorgeous! If your jointer didn't have the width capacity, would you have considered glue ups?

Richard Wolf
06-12-2006, 8:13 PM
Thanks for the pics, beautiful design and execution.

Richard

nic obie
06-12-2006, 8:23 PM
I agree with Richard.

Did you do the metal work too. :D

Roger Everett
06-13-2006, 6:52 AM
Mark:
First offf- that is one beautiful open stairway. Although I do traditional stairs, I really like the modern look, of combining wood and metal. Looks like it stepped right out of House Beautiful or Fine Homebuilding.
Now a question: current IRC code on open stairs, call for not being able to pass a 4" sphere between the opening between treads. Many designs now are using a horizonal pc. ( say a 1x2 or bent metal rod ) between the treads. Do you also have this coding in Ca., and if so what are you designing to accommodate the code.
Roger

Mark Singer
06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Mark:
First offf- that is one beautiful open stairway. Although I do traditional stairs, I really like the modern look, of combining wood and metal. Looks like it stepped right out of House Beautiful or Fine Homebuilding.
Now a question: current IRC code on open stairs, call for not being able to pass a 4" sphere between the opening between treads. Many designs now are using a horizonal pc. ( say a 1x2 or bent metal rod ) between the treads. Do you also have this coding in Ca., and if so what are you designing to accommodate the code.
Roger

Roger,
The 4" sphere test applies here as well The bars are 4" appart and occasionally there is a violation at the lower bar and tread....it just depends on the inspector...my fingers are crossed:rolleyes:

Roger Everett
06-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I was refering to the space between the top of tread and the bottom of tread above it ( where riser usually goes ).
Roger