PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes Turning Demo

Michael Cody
06-11-2006, 7:10 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing Jimmy Clewes as a demonstrator this weekend at the West Michigan Wood Turners meeting. I have to say this might have been the most enjoyable demo I've ever seen. While Jimmy is not a signature turner, or so it seems, he just plain knows hows to turn, how to relate and how to work his audience. His demo ran from 8:30am to 5:30pm with a break for lunch. Much more than we've got from anyone else in the last few years. He does numerous things, talks with the audience, jokes around, and as he said, what a boring demo if can't have a laugh or 2 w/the boys. Also like most wood workers he's pretty opinionated..

If I had to describe him in US terms, he's an Brit Good ole' boy.. from south of NewCastle with a great sense of humor. His demo'd a green end turning of a sycamore vase, a oriental square box of walnut & box elder, and a colored platter with a wide dyed rim. Then he closed with a skew tutorial and a quick multiple offset spindle turned candle holder (slick).

He talked about sharpening and tooling (why we have to have newest and greatest tools when plain M2 steel tools work fine).. but was quick to point out that being a demonstrator he hasn't paid for tool in 15 years so he uses what he likes to use. He represents Hamlet tools but his main stuff is all the older Hamlet M2 stuff.

He told us he loves the free Tormek he got, but it's way to slow to sharpen a skew let alone a gouge. However it's great for chisels & planes if you've got time to kill (my personal feeling exactly which is why I sold mine)! His recommendation for a skew is a MDF wheel w/a leather face on a faceplate and hone the skew.. should never have to touch the grinder after it's shaped unless it's chipped or damaged.

He also like to fish & hunt in his spare time.. anyway if you get to see a Jimmy demo - don't miss it! He's in Indiana somewhere in the next week or 2 and at Louisville this summer too.