PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS Positioner Setup

Scott Steeves
06-11-2006, 6:54 PM
LOML recently talked me into getting a router table and said "Do it right." So I got a Bench Dog table with the offset top, ProLift, and the Incra LS Positioner. Yeah, she's a keeper.

The Incra manual says to mount the base 19.75" from the router center, but the Bench Dog offset table is too short for this. I could build an extension for it, but I wonder if it's really necessary since I don't expect to work on very large pieces. Without an extension I can fit the entire base on the table mounted 14.25" from center. Or I can overhang some of the base and go further, up to about 18" from center. In a worst case scenario I could always build an extension later, when I needed the full working room.

The real question is: Is there something I don't yet know about that *requires* mounting the base 19.75" from router center?

If not, any thought on overhanging the base a few inches? The manual does say that at least 4" of the base must be on the table...

Ken Garlock
06-11-2006, 8:20 PM
Welcome to the creek, Scott. Do jump in and wade frequently.:cool:

I looked at the 'spec' on the Bench Dog router table top. It appears to be about 30 inches, I am guessing. I then went over to the WoodPecker site and called up their 27X32 top, and the LS is not recommended for the 32" top. Next I called up the 27X43 top, and it is indeed recommended for the 24"Incra Jig Ultra, 17" Incra LS Router Fence Systems.

So, you can do one of two things. Return the Bench Dog top and get the 43" top from WoodPecker, or make an extension as recommended on page 6 of the Bend Dog manual. If I were to make the extension, I would go with steel angle iron, not the aluminum B D recommends.

I purchased the entire LS table saw and router package from WoodPecker, and they are good people to deal with. However, IIWU, I would give some serious thought to the extension before going the WoodPecker route.

Good luck.

rick fulton
06-11-2006, 8:48 PM
Scott -

Like Ken, I went the 43" woodpecker table top route. The table already includes pre-drilled holes for the Incra with nuts already inserted in the holes on the underside.

A large table works great, but takes up a lot of shop space. Instead of extending the table, an alternative is to mount the base to a sheet of 1/2" ply. Then clamp the ply to your router table as needed. As a router fence, exact placement of the Incra base is irrelevant, as long as it is solidly clamped to your table.

Another advantage of having a movable base (not screwed into the table or extension table) is re-use. Clamp the base of your Incra fence to other tools. If you have the room, clamp it to your band saw or your drill press table.

Oh yeah, welcome to the creek, and post some pics when your ready.

Good Luck!
rick