PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Size Needed For HVLP Conversion Spray Gun?

Mark Muckelberg
06-11-2006, 5:13 PM
This is my first "post" at this website.
I want to get into spray finishing. After much investigation, I have decided against the turbine systems.
I will be spraying mostly heavier bodied finishes, including latex. The system will be used first for an extensive home remodel. I am not in the WW or home repair business; this is a hobby.
My budget is around $700 for the compressor alone.
I already have a PC 1.6hp twin tank compressor for my nail guns. I have no problem will having this compressor being a "non movable" stand up model (like a 60 gal tank).
Although I have a lot of PC power tools, I am not impressed with the quality of my PC compressor. Any brand suggestions would also be welcomed.

Allen Bookout
06-11-2006, 5:45 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome!

Not already having a compressor or gun makes it real easy. Pick the gun that you want to use, look at the specks to see the SCFM that it requires and buy a compressor that has that much or more output. Ingersol Rand has a real good reputation. I like mine. About six months ago Tractor Supply had the best price that I could find for the IR models in that price range.

Whether you purchase from them or someone else here is a great place to look around at guns and gather information: http://www.spraygunworld.com/ You will notice that each gun list the SCFM required. They have woodworking setups for you to look at if you scoot around their site a bit.

I just ordered a "Sharpe" HVLP gun from spraygunworld but have not received it yet and have never used a Sharpe but the manufacturer is right there in your home town. Hope that it turns out to be a good one. Here is their site: http://doctorgun.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/doctorgun.cfg/php/enduser/home.php

I am going to get into waterbased finishes and have been looking at Homestead and Target products. They both have spray guns. Of course there are a lot of retailers but am just trying to share some of the places that I have been looking around for starters.

That being said, I think that most of the guys will recommend using an airless sprayer for latex. Especially since you have a lot of it to do.

Good Luck! Allen

Perry Holbrook
06-11-2006, 7:17 PM
In the next few weeks, I'm going to upgrade my compressor system. After much research, I've decided for my needs, the Kobalt unit at Lowes is the best value when you consider cost per scfm. I don't recall the model number, but it is the one that's right at $500, is listed as Heavy Duty, and delivers around 13 cfm. I think the reason this machine delivers more cfm than similiar machines of this size and why they refer to it as Heavy Duty is because it has an after-cooler on the discharge line, which I think is a plus.

Perry

Jim Becker
06-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Ingersol Rand. 60 gallon. 3hp. Usually about $550 from Tractor Supply or Northern Tools. (The latter usually has free shipping on the unit)

Now...an HPLV conversion gun (or similar Turbine-driven gun) isn't really be best tool for Latex paint. Airless is the way to go for that material--especially for "home finishing", like walls and trim. Can you spray it? Yes, with the correct projector set in the gun but you'll find that the HPLV setup is far more enjoyable spraying water borne, oil-based and lacquers than it is for the "thick stuff".

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!

Jim Bunton
06-12-2006, 1:15 AM
I am a house painter by trade and have both a turbine and conversion hvlp. my question to you is have you thought about an airless sprayer? For heavy bodied paints you will need to thin so much to get them to work in an hvlp that you will be sacraficing quality. With some looking you should be able to pick up a good used Titan 440i or gracco 695 both good little machines for around $500. You will be a lot happier with either of these machines then an hvlp for the job you have mentioned.
HVLP's are great for fine finishes and with the proper set up will spray heavier paints, but they are not the right machine for spraying a house. It would be much quicker to roll.

Jim Bunton

Charlie Plesums
06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a conversion HVLP gun, and thin my lacquer with 40% thinner to get a good fine spray. No problem, but more solvent, and more coats. I wouldn't expect it to work at all well with laytex or heavy oil paint.

Someone gave me a cheap Turbine (single stage) and I add very little if any thinner to the same lacquer... The turbine system handles much thicker finishes.

Although I agree with the recommendation of an airless system for laytex and other heavy paints, I also am learning the advantage of a turbine, and possibly even a multi-stage turbine, over a conversion gun.

To your original quesiton...with a 13 gallon tank, my "peak 5 hp" compressor (runs on 120 volts, so probably isn't over 1 1/2 real hp) can just keep up with my conversion gun... when I am on a real fast roll, I occasionally need to pause for it to catch up.