PDA

View Full Version : Anti Kickback device for Grizzly

Mike Hill
06-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a new Grizzly 1023SL with a Brett Guard on it. So far, I am not a fan of the guard :) What I am finding is that the Anti Kickback pawls in the guard do not catch the wood. Makes me a little hesitant to rip much of anything and, of course, that's why I bought the saw. I am using a zero clearance insert with 1/8" drill bits for a splitter. Does Biesemeyer or any of the manufacturers make a splitter for this saw with anti kickback pawls? Although they do not list one on their site, has anyone adapted a splitter for the Grizzly? As soon as I add Air Conditioning to the garage, I will be finishing the workshop and will post some pictures.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

Russ Massery
06-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, The Biesemeyer model 78-431 splitter will fit the G1023SL. I have one on mine. It's the model for the Left tilt Unisaw.

Curt Harms
06-11-2006, 11:58 AM
which is part of the uniguard setup. It cost me about $39 3 or 4 years ago. (Part # 1349941 SPLITTER ASSY COMPLETE) should work. I have the pawls held up out of the way most of the time, I've heard pawls are more of a hindrance than help, especially ripping narrow strips.

Curt

Russ Massery
06-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Curt, Is the Delta removable? I one the one feature I really like with the Biesemeyer. It's why I bought it instead of any other.

Jim DeLaney
06-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Curt, Is the Delta removable? I one the one feature I really like with the Biesemeyer. It's why I bought it instead of any other.

Not Curt, but...

Yeah, the Delta splitter is removeable. It takes less than thirty seconds to do. Just loosen a knurled nut on the base, and the splitter lifts right out.

Mike Hill
06-11-2006, 2:22 PM
WOW! I even have options! I am new at using a table saw and trying to be careful and get it set up correctly. Thanks for the great advice, I really appreciate it from all of you out there.
Mike

Mike Hill
06-14-2006, 7:44 PM
Yes, The Biesemeyer model 78-431 splitter will fit the G1023SL. I have one on mine. It's the model for the Left tilt Unisaw.

Based on past experience, I decided to go with the Biesemeyer splitter. It seems to fit the Grizzly 1023SL perfectly. Will do a careful alignment in the morning and give it a test or two. I can say that when I run a board under the splitter and pull back it stops it immediately, unlike the Brett device.

Thanks to all.
Mike

Russ Massery
06-14-2006, 7:56 PM
Good choice Mike, Be safe and enjoy.

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 8:59 PM
I own, use and love the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter. It stays on my saw 100% of the time that it can actually be used for the cut in progress.

That said...the anti-kickback pawls "went away" a long time ago on mine. I never was fond of them on any of the saws I've owned and these were no exception...too easy to score thin veneers and softer woods with the slightest mis-adjustment. I also found that they forced me to remove the splitter for certain narrow cuts that could be done with the splitter engaged if the pawls weren't there. I take far greater comfort with the splitter being on the machine. Now, I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't use the pawls...just that they were not right for me.

Frankie Hunt
06-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I am using the Delta Uniguard with the Delta splitter. I removed the pawls and ground their mounting lug off. They were often in my way, but not anymore. Just like Mr Becker said, I am not suggesting you do it that way, only that this is the way I do it.

Hoa Dinh
06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
The Delta Removable Splitter (available from sawcenter.com for about $40 delivered) fits the G1023 series (left and right tilt).

A nice thing about the Delta Removable Splitter is that you can make your own splitter to fit. See my posts in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37767).

Someone told me that it was more difficult to make splitter for the (more expensive) Bies. cousin.