PDA

View Full Version : Maple burl HF/box combo (long story)

Curt Fuller
06-11-2006, 12:37 AM
There's a type of maple that grows here in Utah, Bigtooth Maple or Acer grandidentatum. It's pretty plain wood and doesn't usually grow to more than about 8" in dia. But I found a piece that had a little burl growing out of the side so I decided to try a hollow form with it. I was going along pretty good with a nice NE burl neck on it when I did what I almost always do with my blankety blank Sorby hollowing tool and ruined the opening. I just don't savy that tool. Anyway I then tried to make a collar for it but the opening was so big it make the collar look wrong. So it sat on the bench for a few weeks until I got the idea to make a box to fit inside of it. The box is walnut, the finial apricot wood. Sure wish I could have saved that nice NE collar I had going.

Corey Hallagan
06-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Cool Idea! Actually both pieces look great on there own and fabulous together. Neat idea Curt!

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-11-2006, 3:27 AM
That's really cool, Curt! Definitely a new way to handle a collar. Great wood, great form, great idea!

Michael Stafford
06-11-2006, 5:52 AM
Oh, I like it, I like it, I like it! That is such a cool idea combining a box with hollow form. If I ever start turning HF's which I never will I would like to do a combination like that. Most excellent, Curt!:cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
06-11-2006, 7:03 AM
Curt this is better than if your original idea had worked. The box looks great in the hollow form and the wood contrast is striking together. You really compliment both pieces with the way you have done this. In this case I'd say the tool challenge was a blessing in disguise. Great workmanship as always.:)

Dick Parr
06-11-2006, 7:17 AM
Very nice save Curt. ;) The wood is beautiful and that was a great idea you came up with.

Great job.

John Miliunas
06-11-2006, 8:14 AM
Hey Curt, now that's thinking outside the box....errrrrrr....maybe thinking about a box.....errrrrrrrrrrrrr.....maybe thinking.....Oh, furrrrget it! :rolleyes: That's just coming up with an awesome solution for what you thought may have been a problem! :D I said "may" because, I agree with Corey that the HF looks fine all on its own, as does the box. Combine both and it's a double-whammy! :D Good job! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Curt what a great idea. It turned out pretty awesome. I like it. Nice job.

Jim Becker
06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
That's a wonderful and unique idea, Curt! Do more!!

Ernie Nyvall
06-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Cool idea Curt. Nice job too.

Ernie

Doug Thompson
06-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Cool, Cool, Cool! What a save...

Good Job!

Barry Stratton
06-11-2006, 1:02 PM
Brilliant "save"! That is an impressive combo!!!