PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen drain line vent question

Donald Van Slambrook
06-10-2006, 7:53 PM
Has anyone ever used a one-way air inlet cap on their drain vent instead of running a normal vent through the roof? The kitchen I'm remodeling has never had a drain vent except the one 30 ft across the house, so it really should have one closer. I found this "NovaVent" automatic vent valve cap item in the local hardware store and was wondering if will save me from having to drill a hole thru the ceiling and a perfectly good steel roof?

Tyler Howell
06-10-2006, 7:59 PM
Yes, they work great check you local building codes.

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2006, 8:23 PM
Yes, they work great check you local building codes.

Sure do.

Ernie

Ben Grunow
06-10-2006, 8:35 PM
Check the codes beacause they have to be installed a certain distance above the trap or sink or something. A simple call to the building inspector should solve it. Good luck

Donald Van Slambrook
06-10-2006, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the quick replys.

The directions say to position it at least 4 inches above the trap, which won't be a problem. As for building inspectors...I figure having it installed is a heck of a lot better than no vent at all, like it's been since well before I bought this house 8 yrs ago. In other words, the inspectors around here aren't very "curious" should I say. But the stories about them and my shop construction project could be a whole other topic....

Jim Becker
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I almost used one when I did my kitchen renovation back in 2003, but found a way to route an appropriate vent in a traditional manner. Mark Singer's "Balboa House" has one as the sink is in an island...which is a typical situation where this kind of vent comes into play.

Steve Clardy
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Got one on a vanity in the bath addition. Works ok