PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form practice

Chris DiCiaccio
06-10-2006, 2:57 PM
Another try at a hollow form. Need to do better planning next time. 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 maple.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-10-2006, 3:33 PM
Nice practice piece you have there, Chris. How much wall thickness do you have left? If there's enough, you may be able to remount and refine it.

I also understand the need for better planning. One of these day's I'm actually going to go out to the shed with an idea in mind, a sketch in hand, and mark out the salient points of the contour before actually trying to shape the blank. All my efforts thus far have been without such.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more of your hollow forms in the future!

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2006, 7:02 PM
Nice HF Chris. You did a great job on it.

Corey Hallagan
06-10-2006, 7:05 PM
It looks good! Nice job. Maybe Big Mike can give you some pointers as well :)

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2006, 7:29 PM
Very nice practice Chris. Since you mentioned "better planning next time", I hope you don't mind me mentioning something.

I'm certainly no expert on collars, and that is why I will turn more than one form to see how it looks with the rest of the profile. As well as one like you have I would probably make one the diameter of the flat top of the HF, about half the height of the one you have, and continue with the same curve of the HF. Just an idea. Of course sometimes I will draw different forms for it.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
06-10-2006, 8:34 PM
Need to do better planning next time.
Sure cant tell it from this. Chris, you did a wonderful job.:)