PDA

View Full Version : Cutting coves on the table saw

Mike Henderson
06-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Some time back, I remember coming across a calculator that someone had posted on a web site for cutting coves on the table saw. You input the shape and size of cove you wanted, and the calculator gave you the set up on the table saw to cut it.

At the time, I wasn't cutting any coves so I didn't bookmark the site.

Does anyone know of a site that will calculate this for you, or even a site that gives guidelines for how to set up for different cove shapes and sizes? I'd prefer pointers to a web site rather than a book because I'd probably have to order the book but I'll take any pointers and advice you can offer. I did search the archive here but didn't find anything. Thanks.

Mike

tod evans
06-10-2006, 12:54 PM
p michael, i draw the cove i want on the endgrain of an oversized blank then crank up the blade to the deapth of the cut and lay the blank on the saw table and sight down it from the front of the saw. make adjustments to the blank angle as necessarry then scribe lines on both sides when the blade hits the cove width. install two fences, crank down blade and start cuttin`. i`ll be doing some large coves in 4" cedar in the next couple of days if you`d like a pictorial? .02 tod

Larry Cooke
06-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I found a couple, one at woodcentral.com near the bottom of the page (fourth link up.)

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/bpindex2.shtml

The other is at FineWoodWorking.com (subscription required.)

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=24067

Haven't used either one, but this might get you started.

Larry

Mike Henderson
06-10-2006, 2:19 PM
Larry, Thanks for the pointer. That one at Fine Woodworking is the one I remember. Don't know why I didn't think to search there earlier but I didn't.

Tod, thanks for the alternative approach. My guess is that you're a lot more experienced than me on cutting coves. For my first attempt, I appreciate the extra help of the calculator.

Also, althought Larry didn't specifically point it out, the pointer he gave leads to a good article in FWW issue 168 on cutting coves on the table saw.

Thank you both for your help.

Mike