PDA

View Full Version : Where to learn turning in the LosAngeles area?

Ben Rafael
06-10-2006, 12:27 PM
I want to learn the basics for a few reasons. Does anyone know of anywhere that provides classes or is someone willing to take some time themselves?
Thanks

Dennis Peacock
06-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Welcome to SMC there "B". Keep a check on the SMC Mentors List (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/mentors.html) for anyone in your local area. If not, keep checking here in the forum, you'll find someone in the local area that will help out.

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2006, 6:32 PM
FWIW, I've learned quite a bit from the classes at Woodcraft. I went to the one in Stanton, but there may be one closer to you..."Los Angeles" covers a lot of territory.:cool:

Pat Salter
06-12-2006, 12:18 AM
You could also go to the website for the American Association of Woodturners and look at their club list. There are a number of clubs in the LA area. Within the clubs you will find members who will/may help/teach you all you would want to know. Good luck and happy turning.

sascha gast
06-12-2006, 3:41 AM
what kind of classes/help you need? I am selftaught, just didn't have the time to take classes since I usually turn from midnight to 3-4am,hehe.
let me know what you need/want

http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/woodturning

Ken Salisbury
06-12-2006, 8:08 AM
In order to be a bona fide member of Sawmill Creek you must use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten with that information and she will update your registration information accordingly

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Tim Solley
06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
B,

I'm new at this turning stuff, but I've been lurking for a while. It is my experience that turners really enjoy sharing their hobby with others. When I bought my lathe just a couple weeks ago, the guy I bought from (who is a member here), spent an entire Saturday in his shop teaching me how to turn.

And now I'm one of them. I've been teaching my wife, and I enjoy it. Now my dad (who is only self taught on the lathe) wants me to teach him what I know.

So I would strongly suggest you follow the advice here to check out one of the local clubs. I'll bet you find someone on your first visit who would be willing to spend an evening or a day with you and teach you.

Oh, and you'll have a blast in the process!

Tim

Ben Rafael
06-12-2006, 10:54 PM
First, I'd like to thank everybody here and also those who have PM'd me offering their time.
Secondly, Sasha, your work is amazing.
I had signed up for a woodcraft class that got cancelled, but will be taking one in a couple of weeks. I will be sure to have some questions after that. I'll let everyone know how the class goes, if it doesn't get cancelled.
Thanks!

Chuck Nickerson
06-13-2006, 1:02 AM
1. Glendale Woodturners Guild. This club is very high-end: free, but lots of members and lots of very high quality work. It will probably be quite a while before I take anything for show-and-tell. For me, this club is more inspirational than instructional.

2. El Camino Woodturners. For me, this club is much more comfortable.

Either club can put you in touch with people who an give hands-on instruction. I'd recommend Steve Dunn and/or Pete Carta.

Vaughn McMillan
06-13-2006, 5:13 AM
Wow, Chuck, thanks for the info. The Glendale club meets pretty close to my house -- I regularly drive by the park where they meet -- so I'll have to check out next month's meeting. (Looks like I missed this month's by about a day.) I know I sure could use some insight and instruction on this lathe stuff. Thanks again.

- Vaughn

Ellen Benkin
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
The classes at Woodcraft in Stanton are a good place to start. If you live in or near the southern part of LA county, Cerritos Community College in the Cerritos/Norwalk area offers several turning classes, and you can't beat the fees for a semester class. Summer Session is almost over, but you can check out the Fall schedule at www.cerritos.edu/wood (http://www.cerritos.edu/wood). Both Woodcraft and Cerritos provide tools so you don't have to make any tool investment while you try out turning. If you live near Long Beach, I have a friend who gives private lessons at his home. Send me a PM and I'll send you his name and number.