PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Gurus: ribbon cable repair???

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I need some advice. I have a 3 year old Kenwood stereo that has been dead for over a year. It has the rotating face for security purpose. The ribbon cable going to the faceplate interface is nortorious for problems. I checked on having the repair done, and they quoted 195.00!!! It only cost 150.00 new! Can be replaced for 130.00 these days. I found that mine has a crack in one spot, thus killing my sound system. I have looked at it before, but never really took the machine apart. With the LOML at convention this weekend I thought I'd play with it and see if I could maybe solder some small wire between the the 2 ends where the ribbon cables attach. If I blow the thing up, I haven't lost anything. Unfortuanately they are slip in connectors, not soldered in. Does anyone know if the ribbon cable can be stripped and a short piece of generic cable soldered in? I'm not sure I can even buy the part being that I'm not in the business. It would be such a simple repair if I could get it.
I'm sure I know the answer, but if someone knows of a solution to "TRY", I'd love to hear it. THANKS! Jim.

Jim Becker
06-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Jim, it is unlikely that the cable can be repaired well in the manner you describe...in many cases, the electrical properties of the cable, itself, are important to the function, especially for "data" applications.

Ken Garlock
06-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Jim, why not just replace the cable. If the cable has plugs on each end, then buy the parts and build a new cable. The people at Mouser (http://www.mouser.com/), down the road from you, will have all you need. IF it is hardwired, check for a broken connection at the solder points at each end. Maybe all you need is a touch up with a SMALL soldering iron. Third, buy a replacement chunk of ribbon cable and one by one unsolder each old connection, and solder in the new wire. Do this wire by wire so you don't get the wires miss connected. Last, put the stereo by your tackle box for the next time you go fishing, and need a boat anchor.

BTW, Mouser will sell to anyone any quantity of parts wanted, even a single ground lug.

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2006, 1:24 PM
Thanks Ken and Jim. Ken, does Mouser sell Kenwood parts? This is not a straight piece of ribbon cable and it is not even the same width the whole length. Makes a 2.5" "U" at one end.
After I posted earlier, I thought to myself,"I wonder if I did a Google search if I would find anything?" Sure enough, a pretty good article on repairing ribbon cable. Nice step by step instructions. So I spent the last hour finding evertything I needed. Just finished the repair and put the stereo back together. Ribbon cable showed continuity on each "separate" conductor. :D
Now I don't have the proper tools to get the factory radio out that is filling the hole in the dash so I can plug this back in and check it out. I know what shape they are, so maybe I can make one. Man I've missed my tunes in the van. I'll let you know how it works. And I'll check Mouser for Kenwood parts. I've emailed a firm on line to see if they will sell parts only. Then I could replace it properly. It took about 15 minutes to take the radio apart, and I've never done it before. If I had had a cable, I could have had it back together in 30 minutes total. Guess I need to get into electronics repair and make 150.00 per hour! Jim.

Ken Garlock
06-10-2006, 1:56 PM
Jim, as far as I know and have seen in the catalog, Mouser only sells basic parts/components, things like resistors, capacitors, relays, batteries, transistors, ICs, and the like.

I suspect your ribbon cable can be bought by the foot at Mouser. Mouser is located in Mansfield TX. I don't know if they have a walk-in counter or just specialize in mail-order. I talked with their customer service people once, and they were quite nice on the phone.

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2006, 2:25 PM
TUNES!!
YES!!!!!!!!

I think I'm just a little happy:cool: :D Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2006, 2:42 PM
Ken, this isn't like ribbon cable in computer parts. In fact, ribbon cable is probably not the correct term for it. It is more like a thin flexible circuit board.
I'm sure my repair won't last a long time. but I've gone for over a year with out music in the van. When we've gone on a trip with all the dogs, this is the only vehicle they fit in, so I've resorted to using the walkman cd. While the LOML was happy (she could read without my music bothering her) I'm sure the local police would not have been amused. So I'm legal again, unless they come out with a db limit. Jim.

Chuck Wintle
06-10-2006, 7:01 PM
I need some advice. I have a 3 year old Kenwood stereo that has been dead for over a year. It has the rotating face for security purpose. The ribbon cable going to the faceplate interface is nortorious for problems. I checked on having the repair done, and they quoted 195.00!!! It only cost 150.00 new! Can be replaced for 130.00 these days. I found that mine has a crack in one spot, thus killing my sound system. I have looked at it before, but never really took the machine apart. With the LOML at convention this weekend I thought I'd play with it and see if I could maybe solder some small wire between the the 2 ends where the ribbon cables attach. If I blow the thing up, I haven't lost anything. Unfortuanately they are slip in connectors, not soldered in. Does anyone know if the ribbon cable can be stripped and a short piece of generic cable soldered in? I'm not sure I can even buy the part being that I'm not in the business. It would be such a simple repair if I could get it.
I'm sure I know the answer, but if someone knows of a solution to "TRY", I'd love to hear it. THANKS! Jim.
Jim,
Can you post a pic of the damaged cable. I would say its possible to splice in some new wires if you are good at soldering.