PDA

View Full Version : Shark Guard

Byron Trantham
06-10-2006, 9:56 AM
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the Shark Guard. I ordered a red one - had to match my Incra stuff, right?:confused: Found out that Lee was in the last phase of designing his splitter to interface directly with the Bies splitter mount. Timing is everything.:p The really nice thing was the plumbing installation. I have a 4" hose that comes down from the ceiling to the back of the unisaw. The hose is connected to the hard pipe via an aluminum blast gate. I dug around in my extra plumbing stuff and found a 4" "Y" and another blast gate! So cool - free! I removed the existing hose from the blast gate and attached the "Y" to the blast gate and re-connected the existing hose the "Y". The other outlet of the "Y" has the other blast gate ready for the blade guard. I even found a 4"x2 1/2" reducer. Now all I have to do is wait!:cool: The Bessy's are sitting on the outfeeed table while I am expanding by Bessy hanging racks for the four new 30" Bessy's on order from Amazon.:D

Jim Becker
06-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm curious if you find that drop position to get in the way of working with your saw...I have always found that mine needed to be on the right side to avoid interference with ripping sheet goods and other operations.

Congrats on your guard order! Enjoy.

Byron Trantham
06-11-2006, 7:58 AM
I'm curious if you find that drop position to get in the way of working with your saw...I have always found that mine needed to be on the right side to avoid interference with ripping sheet goods and other operations.

Congrats on your guard order! Enjoy.

Jim that hose has been in that position from day one. When it gets in the way [not often] I remove it. I have one of those 4" "quick disconnect" fittings on the saw end of the hose. I mounted two 45 degree sewer pipes, glued together, to "extend the connection point" up closer to me so all I have to do is lean over a bit and shove the quick disconnect in place. [See the pics] Now with the new addition of a hose for the new blade guard, I can remove the the saw hose when I need to and the saw guard will still provide [some] dust collection I didn't have before. Notice in the pics that the hose to the saw below is too long. I gained about a foot when I installed the "Y". I will have to trim it off. Once I receive the blade, I will post pics of the final install.

Rick Doyle
06-11-2006, 12:28 PM
hi byron,

i've had the sharkguard on my tablesaw for a couple of years now - it's terrific! like you, i have a 4" flex hose from my dc that connects to the dust port on the shark guard with a 'drop-down' from the ceiling. when i have to take the guard off the splitter for dadoes etc., i simply unhook the guard, leaving the flexhose connected, and attach it to a hook i have on the 2 x 4 where the ductwork is attached - it takes seconds. here's a pic of my setup:

my sharkguard is red too - i think they work better!:D

"Gary Smith"
06-11-2006, 5:37 PM
I've been waiting for my Shark Guard since 4-28-06 and still have not heard anything about a completion date, sure hope it is worth the wait!

Matt Tawes
06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey Gary,

Just send Lee an email for the status of your order. I ordered one end of May and got it last weekend. I know that he's been pretty backed up with orders especially when anyone posts a favorable review on the message boards. Its a great product and worth the wait nonetheless.