PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Chuck question please.

David Pettibone
06-10-2006, 9:39 AM
I have the Delta Midi-Lathe and have a couple of questions about chucks. What would be the best chuck to own that would work on a small lathe and STILL be usable on a bigger lathe when I can afford it?

If money were no option, which one would you purchase?
If money were an option, which one would you purchase?

I read somewhere in a turning magazine that the vicmar(sp?) was the best. Is that true or is it all a matter of opinion? I hear Talon and Oneway mentioned a lot on here.

The lathe I have comes with a plate where you screw the wood directly on to it. Is that a big disadvantage over getting a chuck that you have to make a tenon on for it to fit?

Thanks fellas!!! I did a search on lathe chucks looking for the answer from someone else's post, but had no luck or I am just not using it correctly. I am off to a family graduation party this afternoon and I will check in later this evening.

Gratefully, David:)

p.s. Or do I have to buy one that is dedicated to just the small lathe?:(

Joe Fisher
06-10-2006, 10:09 AM
David,

There's a lot of personal preference when it comes to chucks, so I'll just give you some facts and my opinons on the matter.

You do not need to buy a special "mini" or "midi" chuck to go with your smaller lathe, especially if you're planning to upgrade in the future as I did. A full sized chuck will work fine on your midi, and still give you the ability to use it on a bigger lathe.

I don't know much about the Vicmark, but I can talk a little about the SuperNova2 (which I own) and the Talon/Stronghold (which I used at Bill Grumbine's place).

SN2: The standard jaws are smooth on the inside, and have a slightly doveltailed shape. They're primarily designed to be used inside a recess on the bottom of your piece and expand into it to grip it. They may also be used to grip a tenon, but they're not rated for the same capacity that way. I use it exclusively to grip tenons, and have turned pieces up to 15" without incident. The SN2 uses a hex key to operate the jaws, and turning the key clockwise expands (or opens) the jaws. Some people find this confusing.

Talon: The standard jaws are serrated on the inside, which may give a better grip on tenons (opinon only). These are primarily designed to grab a tenon, but I believe they may be used in a recess, as well. The Talon uses a chuck key (similar to your drill chuck, but bigger) to operate the jaws, and turning the key clockwise closes the jaws. I found the key a little more awkward to use than the SN2's hex key.

Stronghold: Just a bigger version of the Talon. Weighs around 8lbs. Good for really big work, but might be a bit much for your midi.

So really, IMHO, it comes down mostly to what you can get more cheaply. They're both excellent products. The SN2 gets the nod if you like to chuck into recesses, the Talon may be slightly better if you're a tenon kinda guy. I think the SN2 has a wider range of accessory jaws, as well. You can get serrated jaws similar to the Talon's if you like.

That said, I'm a tenon kinda guy, and went with the SN2 because I got a great deal on it.

Mods, is it OK to post where I got that great deal?

Hope this helps,

-Joe

John Shuk
06-10-2006, 10:16 AM
I'd buy either the Vicmarc or the Oneway. That is if money isn't the issue. There are proponents of both. I think I'd lean toward Oneway due to the wider availability of accessories. FWIW. I have the Supernova and it suits me fine. I paid about $315 to my house for it with all of the add-ons from WWW.KMStools.com as opposed to about $560 elsewhere. That was the decision maker for me. I'm happy with it as well. They also sell Vicmarc which my buddy has. It is a very nice piece of machinery.

Curt Fuller
06-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm a great fan of my Oneway Talon. I've used a Nova and it seems like an equally well made chuck. I'm sure the Vicmarc and Axminster and most any other well made chuck would last a lifetime. The biggest key to your decision would be the ability to use the chuck you buy on a larger lathe someday. Oneway lists on their website about 50 different available inserts to convert their chuck to fit different spindles. Make sure what you buy also has that option.
As for price, chucks are a tool that will last for ever if you buy a good one up front.

Jim Becker
06-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Vicmark or OneWay. I prefer OneWay (I like the way the jaws are designed) and own/use the Talon as I had it for the smaller machine I owned before upgrading to the Stubby. A quick change of the insert and I was up and running. I have, in addition to the stock #2 jaws, the #3 and spigot jaws and use them all.

John Miliunas
06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
That said, I'm a tenon kinda guy, and went with the SN2 because I got a great deal on it.

Mods, is it OK to post where I got that great deal?

Hope this helps,

-Joe

Joe, as long as you yourself are not the owner/proprietor of said establishment, posting the source is fine! :D

Also, I've had pretty good luck with the Nova line. I currently have the SN & SN2. I had used the SN on my midi-sized lathe before getting the big lathe and it did just fine. The SN2 "might" be a bit on the heavy side for a midi lathe but, I think it would work ok. :)

There is now also yet another choice, at least in the Nova line. They have the G3, which is a bit smaller than the SN, bigger than their previous "Compact" chuck and it's keyed, which makes the need to grow a third hand for mounting a piece with the Tommy bars unnecessary! :D :cool:

Joe Fisher
06-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Joe, as long as you yourself are not the owner/proprietor of said establishment, posting the source is fine! :D
Thanks :) I picked it up from Charles at Wood Chips Home. Linky Linky (http://www.woodchipshome.com/).

Charles is a real gentleman, and an honest businessman.

-Joe

David Fried
06-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Dave,

I picked up a Oneway Talon chuck for my Jet 1236 (a big mini :D ) for just the reasons stated. I figure it will work well on a larger lathe someday and, as Curt points out, all I need to do is change the threaded insert.

I suspect the hex key is easier to use than the chuck key but the chuck key is no harder to use on the chuck than it is on a drill press!

Overall, I am happy with the chuck.

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2006, 7:16 PM
Vicmark or OneWay. I prefer OneWay (I like the way the jaws are designed) and own/use the Talon as I had it for the smaller machine I owned before upgrading to the Stubby. A quick change of the insert and I was up and running. I have, in addition to the stock #2 jaws, the #3 and spigot jaws and use them all.

David, I have this same exact setup and it works great for me. I haven't used or seen the Vicmark though to compare. Although I prefer tenon turning, the Talon jaws are serrated on the back side of the lip for recess turning.

Ernie

Gary DeWitt
06-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I have the Oneway Talon for my Delta midi, perfectly satisfied with it. I got it with the insert for the 1x8 spindle I have, and will get a different insert to fit my next larger lathe.
The regular jaws work equally well for me when gripping a tennon or expanding in a recess, just be carefull you have plenty of wood if you use it in a recess, it is possible to split your piece (don't ask me how I know this):o
I also have the spigot jaws, and plan to get the dovetail ones as well.
I have built my own plywood jumbo jaws, for gripping a bowl by the rim, and some wood jaws I used for eccentric turning.
If I get into production turning an item that uses more than one set of jaws, I'm thinking of getting another chuck so I don't have to change the jaws as often.

Jim Ketron
06-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I have 2 Talons I use on my PM 3520.
I used the first one on my jet mini before upgrading.
Love em!

Michael Gibbons
06-11-2006, 8:29 AM
David, About a month ago I bought the Nova G3 chuck from Woodcraft for $145. Seems to be well made and smooth. It came with the insert i needed for my lathe. It might still be on sale,go check it out.

Mike

Jim Davenport
06-11-2006, 9:07 AM
My only experience is with the Talon chuck. I originally bought it for my shopsmith, with a 5/8" straight adaptor. I got it directly from Oneway. when I bought the "Rikon", I bought a 1"X8 adaptor. It has given me great service. I also bought a set of "Jumbo jaws".

Frank Fusco
06-11-2006, 11:38 AM
As John said, "if money isn't the issue" go ahead and buy any of the popular models, they are all excellent.
However, if money is an issue or you just like to save your dollars, check out the offerings from PSI. They have several knock-offs that are excellent. They are every bit as good as the expensive European ones. But, with a caveat, the quality control can slip at times. If you buy one be sure to check it out thouroughly. If it is not right, PSI is great on their customer service and will exchange until you are satisfied. I am informed that they have made some changes in their quality control and very few defectives are being shipped lately.
I have their GMC3, at about $80.00 it comes with three sets of jaws. Probably one of the best mini/midi chuck values on the market.

Jeff Horton
06-11-2006, 2:40 PM
My two cents are they are all good chucks. I ended up with a Oneway Stronghold because they were on the only ones that made an adaptor for my Yates American Lathe.

I was leaning toward the Nova for one reason. There are more jaws and chucks available on Ebay than the Oneway. I was going to watch Ebay for a good deal on a spare Chuck and/or jaws. Oneway items show up there but no nearly as much as Nova.

Charles at Wood Chips worked with me on trying to find adapters for my lathe. I can't say enough good about him even though I ended up not buying from him.

David Pettibone
06-12-2006, 7:34 AM
Thanks a lot to all of the great responses. That is exactly what I was looking for. Fair honest opinions on why you went with what you did. Thanks so much for taking the time. I hope to make a purchase in the next month due to the fact that I have to come up with the cash! Again, I can't thank all the people who responded enough. Fantastic, well thought out responses that are making me really think about what direction I want to go in.

Gratefully, David

p.s. Still don't know if I'm a tenon guy or recess guy.......lathe identity crisis collision about to occur!!!!!!