PDA

View Full Version : Circular Saw?

Byron Trantham
06-10-2006, 9:21 AM
I'm looking for a circular saw. There are just so many to choose from. The primary purpose will be to cut down sheet goods using a straight edge. I considered the Festool system but it's just too expensive. I already have an 8' and 4' quick clamp. I intend to buy the plate that mounts to the saw and slides on the straight edge (Festool wanna be:p ). The saw is the problem. I considered the PC 4 1/2" saw but again, the sucker is expensive. I would like it to light and powerful enough to cut though 3/4" stock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tod evans
06-10-2006, 9:50 AM
byron, the skillsaw that i know survives lotsa abuse and keeps ticking is the mag77. i use that and the milwaukee 10 1/4 exclusively, never found the need for any others...02 tod

Jeff Horton
06-10-2006, 10:09 AM
A circular saw and a good straight edge are all you need. I can't see why anyone would pay for the Festool. But that just my frugal opinion. :) I don't see the need for anything other than a good straight edge and paying attention to what your doing. I made a simple jig that works perfect and I just just used scraps. No need for high dollar tools to cut a straight edge.

I have a Dewalt that I dearly love. But rather than push brand here is what I looked for when I bought this saw. A way to square the blade to the shoe. I had a cheap B&D that was not square and being so new to woodworking I ruined an interior door with it. I clamped on a straight edge so the cut would be straight only to get the blade in a bind and ruined the door. Thats when I finally discovered it was the saw and not me that was inept!! I could never cut a straight line with that saw! It went in the trash after that and that was the cheap tool I bought.

I would also look for adjustable stops on the angle settings. You want to be able to set it to 0 and 45 degees and it be right. Being able to adjust it if gets off it a big deal (to me anyway).

Consider he weight too. Thats the only thing about my DeWalt I don't like. It's heavy but I can live with that because of all the other good features it has.

Dave Falkenstein
06-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I like the Porter Cable Saw Boss circular saw - it is a 6 inch version, and about $140. I used to use it for cutting sheet goods before I converted to Festool. The big advantage of the Festool (or EZ) system is the quality of the cut - straight, accurate and chip-free. I could never get the cuts I wanted using a straight edge and the Saw Boss. I used to cut the sheets to rough size and finish them on the table saw. With the Festool system the cuts are final the first time.

Bob Noles
06-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Byron,

I have the Porter Cable 325 mag 7 1/4 and use it in the exact same manner that you speak of. It is a great saw, light weight and good dust control capability. I have really enjoyed mine and recommend it. I think the cost was around $160. For your straight edge, you may want to visit the EZ System section of SMC for some additional ideas.... ask for Dino :)

Ken Garlock
06-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Bryon, the framers that built our house used Mikita circular saws Exclusively. They claimed that the Mikitas outlasted any other brand they had tried, including Milwaukee. In particular, the liked the good heavy sole plate. They also used the Marathon blades because they worked well, and were available at any Home Depot.

For a miter saw, they used a DeWalt. I tried to show them the error of their ways, but had no luck.;) :)

Bob Childress
06-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Byron,

I just bought the PC 325 Mag after I burned up a cheap B&D. What a difference! I put a Freud Diablo blade on it and even with a quick clamp straight edge I'm getting superior cuts. I didn't know it was possible to cut sheet goods straight until now.:D

I might invest in the EZ Smart system down the road and the Mag works very well with that system. Decent dust collection too, hooked to my CT-22, though probably not as good as the Festool saw.

Nissim Avrahami
06-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Byron

I’m reluctant to give you any advice because I’m an amateur, but please have a look at this post, maybe it will give you some ideas. Roll down the post, there are more pictures.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36808

With this guide and measuring method I’m achieving very accurate cuts.

Regards
niki

Craig Coney
06-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Byron,
I have used a PC743 and a Craftsman Circular Saw for ripping down sheet goods as you have mentioned. I also used quick clamps and I also made a guide out of 1/2" MDF for rips and cross cuts. This also works for straighlining rough lumber also.

The saw and guide works OK, but I wanted a better cut quality and a way to 'stretch' my sheet goods by elimiating the waste around my rough rips and minimize how much I handled each panel. I upgraded to the Festool a couple of years ago.

In hindsight, the system price was not that much more than what I had invested in the circular saw, guides, and blades to get a decent cut.

As far as dust collection goes, the PC saw was better than nothing, but the Festool saw is far better.

Frank Hagan
06-11-2006, 2:40 PM
A good saw, like any of the brands mentioned here, and a thin kerf carbide blade will work very well for what you want to do. The edge guide in the link is a bit more complex than I like to work with, but the poster is from eastern Europe, I believe, and his saw is a bit different than ours (no blade guard, so he built one, etc.)

I would check out the Makita, Porter Cable (PC), Milwaukee and DeWalt at your local big box store. Pick them up and see how they feel in your hand. I like the PC saws the best of the ones I've used, and I have a PC that I love. But really any of these brands that feel good in the hand will work for you.

For an edge guide, you can always use a straight edge and run the saw's baseplate along the guide. You have to measure an offset from the place you want to cut, so you're measuring the stock twice ... once to find where you want to cut, and then the offset ... on my PC, its 1 1/2" from the short side of the base to the blade.

You can make a better edge guide that's easier to use. The link above shows one that looks like its made out of flooring. I've used 1/8" MDF and a MDF 1 x 3 ... you rip the 1/8" material about 10" wide, screw and glue the 1 x 3 on the top of it, and use the circular saw to trim the 1/8" material by running the "short" side of the baseplate along the 1x3 on one side and the "wide" side down the other side. Now you have an edge guide that you can place exactly where you want to cut ... lining up the cut 1/8" material portion of it on your cut line and running the shoe of the saw along the 1x3 edge. At first, it will be easier to do it from the wide side, because more of the baseplate is supported, but you quickly get the hang of it.

Jeff Singleton
06-11-2006, 4:42 PM
Bryon, I have two circular saws and only use on. The P.C. is a good saw and it cuts good. My main saw is a Milwaukee 7 1/4 worm drive. Big and heavy and built like a battle ship. I have dropped it off my roof and cut concrete and sand stone with ease with a diamond blade. If you can handle the weight, 20 lbs. and like a saw that is very easy to push and control because of the rear handle you will like the worm drive. Only maintaince is changing that stinky gear oil once a year and replacing the cord every so often.

Jeff Singleton

Ron Jones near Indy
06-11-2006, 5:08 PM
Another vote for the Saw Boss.:)

Bill Ryall
06-11-2006, 5:31 PM
I have a PC 424 Mag (left blade, quick blade change). Love it, good dust control, lightweight and easy to handle. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

For simple 1 or 2 cut operations just to get sheet goods to a more manageable size, I use my Ridgid 18V circular saw with a thin kerf plywood blade. Easily done right on the trailer before it comes in the shop.

Use the TS or the PC for finish cuts tho.

Michael Adelong
06-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm using a Sears Sawmill that I borrowed from my Father. He said "keep it", so I have been using it with a straightedge for over a year now. I bought a nice 40 (or was it 50?) tooth blade, and it cuts even the crappy BORG veneer ply without difficulty or significant tear out. It cuts a perfect 1.5" from the straightedge every time. If you're a hobbyist any old CS will work. Just cut a little oversize with the CS and get to final dimension on the TS.

I hope it doesn't die anytime soon... The F stuff isn't in my budget right now.

Michael

Peter Pedisich
06-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Have you considered a Milwaukee or Bosch cordless? the Bosch cordless has a dust port.

Galen Sinkey
06-13-2006, 11:40 PM
I have a 6" PC Sawboss and 8' guide for sale if anyone is interested.

Looking to get $185 for the set.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album217&id=forsale5&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

PM me if interested...

glenn bradley
06-14-2006, 12:42 AM
I'll chime in on Jeff H. and Bob N.'s comments. You'll want something that allows decent adjustment of the shoe. That kills things like my Craftsman cheapie. The PC mag is a little costly (about $140 street price) but offers good dust control, real good adjustment capability and lightweight handling. It would be my next circ-saw when the time comes. Cordless are convenient but cost too much still IMHO. If you are just going to rough-cut pieces to size and then dress them up in some other manner, the excellent cut capability of the Festool is irrelevant (but they sure are a beautiful tool).

P.s. My $35 Craftsman meets all my needs to date but I am still new at this. I've gotten by for a year with it so I'm comfortable that I've gotten my money's worth.

Gary Swart
06-14-2006, 1:50 AM
Well, here a vote for yet another make. I recently picked up a reconditioned Hitachi on eBay. It sure beats the old Craftsman I had used for years. I don't use a circular saw too often, but this sure does what I need it to do, and the price was right.

Bruce Benjamin
06-14-2006, 1:40 PM
Let me add a more rare saw to the list that I have. http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16775 Last year I bought the Hilti 267 saw and it's really a nice high end saw. It has plunge cut with a depth stop, variable speed, deeper than average cut, easy control because of the placement of the handles, very stable bevel cut support mechanism, dust collection, very easy to use blade lock, and it's magnesium so it's light weight. I use it on the EZ Smart guide system and it's perfect. You won't find a more versatile guide system. The Hilti is harder to find but if you go to their website they have a list of dealers. My local dealer wanted full retail for the saw so I got the number of the local Hilti outside sales guy and he stopped by my shop. He brought what appeared to be a brand new saw and let me try it out. After a few cuts I was convinced and he then gave me the saw for the, "Demo price" because I had just used it. I've very happy with the saw.

Bruce

Greg Narozniak
06-15-2006, 8:32 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Childress]Byron,

I just bought the PC 325 Mag after I burned up a cheap B&D. What a difference! I put a Freud Diablo blade on it and even with a quick clamp straight edge I'm getting superior cuts. I didn't know it was possible to cut sheet goods straight until now.:D
[QUOTE]

PC is a great saw. The blade brake is a nice plus. I doubt I will wear out this saw.

Dale Clark
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Just got a hilti 267 from home depot,believe it or not.some of their larger stores have a seperate hilti "kiosk" in them.$299 retail -$100 gift card i have been hoarding for just such an occasion=$210. with tax.the rep also gave me a hilti lock-blade pocket knife for driving across town.just made a few cuts before dark last night,but think its a keeper.have a e-z smart package ordered(eta fri.)will put it to the test this weekend cutting ply-bead panels for interior of a shed

Dale Clark
06-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Let me add a more rare saw to the list that I have. http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16775 Last year I bought the Hilti 267 saw and it's really a nice high end saw. It has plunge cut with a depth stop, variable speed, deeper than average cut, easy control because of the placement of the handles, very stable bevel cut support mechanism, dust collection, very easy to use blade lock, and it's magnesium so it's light weight. I use it on the EZ Smart guide system and it's perfect. You won't find a more versatile guide system. The Hilti is harder to find but if you go to their website they have a list of dealers. My local dealer wanted full retail for the saw so I got the number of the local Hilti outside sales guy and he stopped by my shop. He brought what appeared to be a brand new saw and let me try it out. After a few cuts I was convinced and he then gave me the saw for the, "Demo price" because I had just used it. I've very happy with the saw.

Bruce
Bruce,is the 267 able to cut 2x material on the rails with the smart base attached or just using the integrated groove in the hilti saws' base?

Ken Belisle
06-15-2006, 12:08 PM
If there's a PC/Delta repair center around you, you can usually pick up a reconditioned unit in almost new condition for close to half price. That's what I did years ago and ended up with a new one, still in the original box, never used.

It's usually worth a phone call............

Bruce Benjamin
06-15-2006, 2:19 PM
Bruce,is the 267 able to cut 2x material on the rails with the smart base attached or just using the integrated groove in the hilti saws' base?

Yes, it will cut 2x material with the EZ base on top of the rail. That is one of the things that made me want the saw over the PC. I don't cut 2x material a lot but I do from time to time and ripping one with my Hilti/EZ Smart is way easier and safer than using my tablesaw. I'm not sure what the difference is that makes it cut deeper since I don't have the PC to compare side by side but I believe it's due to the position of the motor. I jealous that you got that saw for even cheaper than I got mine. I knew that some HD's sold a few Hilti tools but I didn't know they carried that specific model. It wasn't listed on the HD website last time I looked and the guys at my local HD haven't even heard of Hilti. No matter, I got it and I bet I'll love it forever.

I looked on the website at the Hilti guide rail and from the pictures it looks exactly like the Festool rail. I don't know this for a fact but the pics sure look the same. I asked a customer service rep at Hilti about this and, as expected, "What's a Festool?". :D It's funny how ignorant some people are about the general field they're working in, especially car sales people.

Bruce

tod evans
06-15-2006, 2:55 PM
thanks for the info on the hilti bruce! that`s a name i`m familiar with. to me even the festool stuff is a new player in the game. being as i don`t own any guided skillsaw this is another one to look at...02 tod