PDA

View Full Version : New Ebay phishing scheme?

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2006, 8:36 AM
I received an email last night from someone claiming to want shipping instructions for the Dell coomputer they just bought. It appeared to be a communication that came through Ebay, except nowhere in the post did it have my name or screen name. I started to answer to tell them there was a mistake and I was not selling a computer, then I thought better of it. I emailed the info to Ebay, then promptly deleted the post from the computer.
Anyone else see something like that lately? I got the form letter back from Ebay saying they had received my note. Then I got a warning letter soon after that from Ebay talking about another scam that was going around, but not the same as I had received.
Anyway, just curious if anyone else had seen this. I told Ebay that if this indeed came through their system, then they have a major problem. Jim

Mark Rios
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
This scam has been around for awhile Jim. Actually, you said that they wanted shipping instructions. That implys that you won/bought a computer and they want to ship it to you (you obviously didn't). They will then ask for you to confirm a bunch of stuff that you don't really want to give them or some such other nonsense. You are right to just report it to Ebay's fraud dept. and trash the email.

I keep the fraud/spoof dept. email addresses for a few companies in my address book and diligently report the bad guys. Every little bit helps.

One tip: When/if you forward a spoof/phish/fraud email, click the "long headers" button in your email controls and then forward it so that the fraud dept. has all of the routing info of the email. This helps the good guys track down the bad guys. Alot of times the email accounts go to dead ends but at least after awhile the accounts can be shut down even if they didn't catch the bad guys that time.

Good reminder Jim, thanks.

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2006, 2:33 PM
Mark, actually they wanted to find out when it would be delivered to them. They had bought it. If I read their email addy right, and the language used in the note, I'd say they are from England. But I wasn't the seller! Maybe it's a new twist and they think they can still get your personal information by threatening you with going to Ebay and getting you black listed, or that you'll feel sorry for them getting ripped off and divulge information in the process that they can use. Who knows.
Oh, I got my Lee Valley order in from the gift cert. I got a magnetic base and dial indicator, and I pitched in a few pennys and got a tuning stone for the band saw. Thanks again! Jim.

Doyle Alley
06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Check the Ebay auction number and see if you are listed as the seller. One of the biggest scams is for a dishonest person to use the ID of a person with a good rating to sell fictitious goods to unsuspecting people. You only find out about it when the buyers start asking you where their merchandise is.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
I received an email last night from someone claiming to want shipping instructions for the Dell coomputer they just bought.

Hmmm.
Look up your state Attorney General's office and give them that address.