PDA

View Full Version : Ernie's mesquite ort vase....

Michael Stafford
06-10-2006, 8:13 AM
A while back Ernie Nyvall sent me some mesquite. It was freshly cut and I cut it up into smaller pieces for boxes. I have been carefully letting it dry until it was ready to turn.

Well, there were a few scraps that I saved that I put in my scrap bin. Since I have been turning ort bowls lately I have been using just about any piece in my scrap bin large enough to turn. I pulled this one nondescript piece of mesquite from Ernie out. It was rough sawn and hard to determine what the grain looked like.

Well, here is an ort vase, 1 3/4" tall and 2 1/4" in diameter in a piece of the mesquite that Ernie sent me. Can you believe the curl that is in this wood? Ernie did you know this wood was this curly? I sure hope the other pieces I set aside for boxes have this much curl.

Thanks again, Ernie.:D

Christopher K. Hartley
06-10-2006, 8:31 AM
Michael, the only discriptor I can think of is Magnarific! Great job! That Ernie is something else isn't he?:)

Corey Hallagan
06-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice job Mike, that looks great, Beautiful wood!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Beautiful job as always Big Mike. I really like turning mesquite. Nice form and finish.

Jim Becker
06-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, that's really lovely...it glows!

Mark Cothren
06-10-2006, 11:12 AM
To quote Tony the Tiger, that's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Nice wood Ernie! Super ort Mike!

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Jest goes to show ya...............ya cain't judge a piece of wood till it want's to show ya it's TRUE SELF! Beautiful wood AND WORK!

Bruce

Tom Sherman
06-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Mike an awsome piece I had no Idea that mesquite was so spectacular. I can't wait to see a box of this from the master.;)

Jim Ketron
06-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Beautiful wood and Ort!

Keith Burns
06-10-2006, 1:43 PM
As always Big Mike, another great piece. Love that mesquite:) :)

Dick Parr
06-10-2006, 2:04 PM
Beautiful job Mike...

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-10-2006, 3:27 PM
Lovely ort bowl there, Big Mike! Love that wood!

Oh, BTW: I find it interesting that you're using orts to make containers for orts. :)

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2006, 5:06 PM
Ernie did you know this wood was this curly?

No, I didn't know for sure Big Mike, but I was hoping, as all that I sent you came from a big long bulge in a limb... not like a burl, just a funny looking limb. You didn't see the whole thing where the limb was tiny at both ends. Anyway, I knew that if anyone could find something beautiful in there, it would be you, and I have to tell you that with what you did here, I feel a real sense of pride. That is a beautiful piece. Thanks for posting.

Ernie

Michael Stafford
06-10-2006, 5:25 PM
Henry, I was hoping someone would catch the irony that the orts in my scrap bin were going to good use to create ort bowls for SWMBO!

Ernie, looks like you did a good job of recognizing where the beautiful piece of wood was. Thanks so much for sending it to me....:D

Thank you all for the nice comments.:)