PDA

View Full Version : Box

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Well my nephew wanted to come over and spend the afternoon with his uncle. He said he wanted to watch me turn something. So we got a hickory box blank out which had been drying 1 1/2 months. It is 3" tall and 2 1/2" in diameter. He did the inside but wanted me to finish the outside. He did pretty well for his first time ever seeing a lathe. I finished it with EEE and lacquer. He wanted the wire burn in the two groves I turned and on the finale. Yes it does say Big B on the bottom. He signed it and that is what he has called me since he was little. He just graduated high school. Had a lot of fun and a good time with him this afternoon.

Corey Hallagan
06-09-2006, 11:35 PM
You guys did great Big B! Nice job, I like the shape and your burn line placement. Finial looks great too!

Corey

Barry Stratton
06-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Exceelent story and heirloom BOX. This is what sweet memories are made of - good one Bernie, well done!!!!

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2006, 11:44 PM
That's a good story Big B and a fine looking box... something I'd keep forever.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
06-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Looks great to me! Congrats!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-10-2006, 3:29 AM
Great box there, Bernie, you and your nephew have done well! Now the next question---has he been sucked into the vortex yet? :)

Christopher K. Hartley
06-10-2006, 4:26 AM
Very nice Bernie, I really like the form on this one.:)

Michael Stafford
06-10-2006, 6:29 AM
Big B, not only is that a fine looking little box but that is a fine way to spend an afternoon with a young man. As a matter of a fact I don't know of anything more valuable than spending quality time with a child. Big B you are the man!:D

Dick Parr
06-10-2006, 7:44 AM
Very nice Bernie, that's a great looking box. Job well done.;)

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the kind replies. He is a good kid and I enjoy being around him alot. I think after yesterday the bug has bit him. My sister called last night and said Big B told him he could have the small Delta lathe when he finished college and found a place of his own. He told her since he was only 30 miles away going to school that I told him he could come over anytime and turn if he wanted. I told my wife and she thought that was pretty cool. I told her I would have to keep watch for another lathe maybe a used 1442 or 1642 to replace it. She just grinned.:p Anyway had a lot of fun.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Very nice JOINT EFFORT. You both can be proud of the results.

Bruce

Tom Sherman
06-10-2006, 12:14 PM
EXcellent piece Bernie, Great story also. I have at least two sons (Grown) that are somewhat interested in turning but are somewhat intimidated by the whirling wood at some point that will pass. Great job.

Bob Noles
06-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Another outstanding piece Bernie and the nephew could not find a better or more talented mentor.

Keith Burns
06-10-2006, 1:46 PM
Great colabration box Bernie:) :) Ya'all both did a fine job:) :)

Dennis Peacock
06-10-2006, 7:10 PM
Looks real good Bernie!!!! I really like the grain patterns in that box. Sure is purdy!!!:cool:

George Conklin
06-10-2006, 8:20 PM
That's a nice box, Bernie. And a great story to go along with it!

Now... Who's in possession of that fine little keepsake;) ?

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks again. Dennis it sure did turn out pretty with the grain. The lid grain matchs the body. It turned out great. I hope to get him back again and do a little turning with him. I have to go help my sister lay wood flooring tomorrow. She said he just can't quit talking about his turning.

Steve Ash
06-11-2006, 7:48 AM
Bernie, great story and time well spent. It is always gratifying teaching someone new how to do something and it sounds like you made a lasting impression on this young man. I want to try turning something like that real soon and was wondering if you'd like to adopt another "nephew"?

Curt Fuller
06-11-2006, 10:18 AM
That's a nice little box and a great story Bernie. Every kid should be so lucky to have such great family!

Doug Thompson
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Good kid, great story, outstanding box and the best part you had fun. A lathe after college...darn right.

You done good...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2006, 2:58 PM
Outstanding project and box! I like the grain in the hickory. Is it hard to turn Bernie?