PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin's Best Turning Chisels??

CPeter James
06-09-2006, 9:31 PM
Anyone tried these? Are they any good? Look like a low priced alternative if there was any quality there.

Also, has anyone tried the P & N chisel blanks from LV? These come unhandled, but handles are easy to make.

CPeter

Jim Becker
06-09-2006, 9:40 PM
I have the small BB "pen turner's" set and the tooling is fine. In fact, I use the 1/8" parting tool "regularly". P&N makes excellent tooling.

John Shuk
06-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I use p&n gouges at a friends quite a bit and they are very nice. He is a very experienced turner and he continues to buy them FWIW. I have the Harbor freight set and I think they are the same as Benjamin's Best and they are fine. There are nicer tools out there but they aren't too bad. I also have the 2 inch roughing gouge and I like it. About halfway down the stock there is an uneven spot in the steel so when I get down there I may have a little trouble with my edge but it'll take a while to get there. I think they are decent but other tools represent a little better value sometimes in the fit and finish.

Corey Hallagan
06-10-2006, 1:20 AM
The manufacturer of the BB brand does not chince on the steel, it is still M2 HSS, where they do tend to cut back is on the finishing. Not well sanded and they use decal and the finish just isn't the same as a 50.00 tool. I use primarily these tools and I really like them. I am also a beginner :)

Corey

CPeter James
06-10-2006, 8:34 AM
Could you add your own handles?

CPeter

John Shuk
06-10-2006, 9:25 AM
You could.There is an article somewhere about somebody buying the cheapos and getting them up to his standard for use. Might be on the AAW forum. Worth checking out.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I have several of the BB's. I like them a lot. They were cheaper when I bought them thinking if I screwed one up sharpening that I wouldn't be out much. There steel is as good as the Pinnacles, Sorby's, P & N or others I have bought for several dollars more.

Jim Becker
06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Just remember, most of the sets, like those offered by BB and HFT are very much spindle turning oriented. If that's not your thing, you are much better off buying individual tools, regardless of brand. It's not a "good deal" if you really can't use most of the tools in a set... ;)

Corey Hallagan
06-10-2006, 7:10 PM
Check out this link: http://www.theturnersshop.com/
and the whole website. Nice resource.

Corey

John Shuk
06-11-2006, 10:16 AM
That is the article I was thinking of. Look under turning