PDA

View Full Version : Aloha

Ken Lara
06-09-2006, 8:20 PM
Aloha,

This is my first post here. What a great resource and discovery!

I have recently discovered an interest in woodworking having just completed several acoustic treatments for a home recording studio.

During that process, I was introduced to the Festool line of products and picked up a MFT 1080 and TS 55 EQ. In addition to wanting to complete the collection, I happened upon this while trying to learn more about them: http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.festool.de/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFestool%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26newwin dow%3D1%26sa%3DG

I don't know if the rest of their catalog is available here, but I thought someone else might be interested in checking it out.:D

Thank you for a great site and resource! Here are a few pics of what started it all.

Aloha :cool:

Karl Laustrup
06-09-2006, 8:24 PM
Well, from your greeting Ken, I'd guess you to be from Hawaii.

Welcome to the "Creek". As you have found there is a plethora of knowledge here to help with just about anything.

And I see you understand we like pictures. :D

Karl

Kyle Kraft
06-09-2006, 9:04 PM
Welcome, Ken!! Lots of good info here and the folks are not too bad either:) !

Kyle in K'zoo

Jim Becker
06-09-2006, 9:46 PM
Studio looks great! (There will be many of us quite jealous of it, too...)

Welcome to the 'Creek! BTW, there are many Festoolians here, too... ;)

John Timberlake
06-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Welcome, Ken. You'll find a lot of good information here. I learn something every time I come here. Aloha.

Bob Reda
06-10-2006, 6:31 AM
Ken, Welcome to the creek--very nice work also.

Bob

Ken Lara
06-10-2006, 8:04 AM
Aloha,

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

And yes, I am on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Aloha:cool:

Jay Knoll
06-10-2006, 9:13 AM
Ken

Great work, welcome to the Creek, you'll find the water is great and you get to surf without wiping out

Jay

Kevin Morton
06-10-2006, 9:24 AM
Ken:

I share your enthusiasm for all things Festool. I've got 2 MFTs, a sander, DC and drill, among other things, and haven't had any regrets despite the high price tag.

Welcome to the Creek and if you have any spare koa you'd like to send stateside, just let me know!

Charles Bruno
06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the creek Ken!
I was on the Big Island, Maui and Kawai in April. Beautiful place to live.

Lots of good info here I've found this the best wood workers forum on the net. Good, honest and experienced people here to help.

Your recording studio looks good, what type of music do you record? My family is musical, although I have no talent at all.

Thanks for the post Ken and, by the way, if you have any of that Koa wood laying around your place and want to get rid of it send it to me:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the Creek Ken.:cool:

You will enjoy good company, good information, and outstanding work by some very acomplished artists. You'll also meet some of us (like me ) who are striving to improve our final results.

Most of all, have fun!:p

By the way, DO YOU HAVE A LATHE YET?:D

Bruce;)

tod evans
06-10-2006, 11:30 AM
welcome ken! nice bank of equipment. tod

Brett Baldwin
06-10-2006, 2:57 PM
Welcome Ken. That a pretty serious-looking setup you have there. I think your new Festools will feel right at home with that level of equipment. Nice job.

lou sansone
06-10-2006, 11:47 PM
welcome to the creek.
lou

Seth Poorman
06-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Ken
Welcome to SMC........:)

Vaughn McMillan
06-11-2006, 2:36 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Ken. Nice toys...very sweet for a home recording rig. What are your instruments of choice?

- Vaughn

Ken Lara
06-11-2006, 3:51 AM
Aloha,

Bruce Shiverdecker wrote: By the way, DO YOU HAVE A LATHE YET?
Not yet. Perhaps so in the future, though. We'll see...

I am on the very begining edge of this new venture and as it stands, the shop inventory consists of the Festool TS 55, MFT 1080, 32" & 55" guide rails, half a dozen or so various clamps, a DeWALT 703 miter saw, a corded drill, a donated Sears 10" table saw that needs some serious refurbishing, a Sears 6" portable jointer and a plastic toolbox with a set of various screwdrivers, pliers and measuring tape. A humble beginning to be sure, but one has to start somewhere, eh? ;) :D

I've been asked to build a set of (4) stage platforms and (5) room dividers, as well as install a new irrigation system for the preschool here in the Village, so developing a efficient shop layout & system, as well as tooling up is giving me a lot to think about.

Thank you all again for the warm welcome!

Ken Lara
06-11-2006, 4:19 AM
Aloha,

Charles Bruno wrote: Your recording studio looks good, what type of music do you record? My family is musical, although I have no talent at all. Thanks for the post Ken and, by the way, if you have any of that Koa wood laying around your place and want to get rid of it send it to me. Thank you. Most of what I've been recording has been acoustic oriented: Hawaiian, folk, acoustic rock. Probably the most unusual session was recording a Taiko drum group.

I'm afraid the only wood I've got lying around at the moment is kiawe (kee-ah-vay) which I believe is called mesquite in some areas. Lots and lots of thorns! Not very stable for woodworking, but it makes a great BBQ fuel.:D

Vaughn McMillan wrote: Welcome to the Creek, Ken. Nice toys...very sweet for a home recording rig. What are your instruments of choice? I am primarily a guitarist, but have played electric bass for 20 years. I also enjoy drums - trap set, congas, bongos - but I wouldn't call myself a drummer...yet.;)

Aloha:cool:

Lopaka Garcia
06-11-2006, 8:17 PM
Aloha mai Ken. Nice to have another fellow islander here. Nice work on your studio.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2006, 9:11 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ken! Wade right in .....the water's fine! Beautiful studio!

Ken Lara
06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Aloha,

Thanks guys :) Boy, what a friendly bunch you got here!

Well, it seems the stage project was received warmly by the preschool, so much so that there may possible a commission for 3 baby changing tables, 3 matching wall storage units and at least one child's bookshelf unit. :eek:

Here's a question for you: if provided with a couple of photos of the units desired, how do you approach creating a working set of drawings? I have just downloaded the free version of Sketchup and begun the learning process, but was wondering if you have any other suggestions/programs/options that might quicken the planning stages?

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions you might have. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Ken..........While I've downloaded the free version of Sketchup...I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

You can do a search using Sketchup as a search word and find some previous tutorials.

You'd also probably get more response by posting in the design forum and use Sketchup in the title. Creeker Dave Richards has been great about helping people with Sketchup. You could also go to Daves profile and select find all replies or all threads started by him and find the help he's handed out with sketchup!

Good luck with the learning curve!

Lincoln Myers
06-13-2006, 1:55 PM
Ken,

Nice work. I want to live where you live. :)

My wife and I honeymooned on the Big Island in 1999. We LOVED it.

You'll find LOTS of good advice and help here, it is the best WW site on the net.

-Linc