PDA

View Full Version : Customer? Service?

Ken Garlock
06-09-2006, 7:51 PM
Back in mid May I decided to purchase a tennoning jig for my table saw. I did some searching, and decided that the General Interational 50-050 was a sound buy. I ordered it from the Woodsmith store, and it arrived in excellent shape around the end of the month.

Ah Ha, a new toy. I unpacked it and as I assembled it I converted it to a left tilt blade configuration. All was looking prettey good. The 25# of cast iron looked like it would work as advertised. After all, a tennoning jig is not 'rocket science.' Then I tried to adjust the backer plate to a 45 deg. angle; bingo, a problem.

The configuration of the screw-in handles are such that the backer plate casting hits the top of the handle at about 42 deg, hence not allowing a full 45 deg slope. I thought that this is not a problem, just call the General Int. Customer Service to help me through this problem.

I sent a detailed Email to the C/S group and promptly got a reply telling me to call a gentleman that would fix my problem. Good, so far. I called the 1-800 number and got an automated voice in French, then switching to English telling me to press 9 for English. OK, after all they are located in Quebec. I dialed the extension given me, and after many rings a lady answered the phone. I asked for the recommended gentleman, and was told that he was busy just then, but to call back after their 3PM break, this was about 2:45. Fine, I called back and after some fussing around finally contacted the person. He told me he hadn't heard of the problem I was having and that he would get a jig out of inventory and look at it. I asked if he would call me back the next day, and he said yes. This all took place on May 31.

After waiting until this Wednesday for the "next day" call (let's call it 8 days) I called again. I contacted the gent, and he fumbled a little and said he still have my problem on his desk. Again he said he would get right on it, and call me back right away. I asked if he had my phone number, he said yes. After about another hour plus, I got an Email asking for my phone number. Well, as of today at 6PM CDT, I have not heard from this customer service rep and General Int.

As of now, I have bought 2 tools from General Int., the first and the last. I will fix it myself by obtaining a shorter replacement handle.

Kyle Kraft
06-09-2006, 9:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your CS dilemma, I have found that many businesses nowdays seem to care less whether or not they sell you anything. Nothing irritates me more than contacting a business, leaving a message and no one returns your call or e-mail message. A simple 30 second call or e-mail saying "Hey I got your message and I need some time to look into it" or whatever is pretty inexpensive.

Kyle in K'zoo

Bruce Benjamin
06-09-2006, 9:11 PM
That sure is crappy service. I'd have a hard time just dropping it like you did but you must have a longer fuse than I do. I'd call and ask to talk to his supervisor. I have one of their table saws and I called trying to get a second switch to use on my router table that's attached to the saw. The guy I spoke to sounded very bothered that I was interrupting him and said I should contact the place where I bought the saw. Not the worst experience I've ever had by a long shot but he really didn't make me want to send my money to their company again.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
06-09-2006, 9:23 PM
Ken. Send them a link to this thread.

John D Watson
06-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Just a quick note Ken. French comes first in Quebec by law. They even have language police to make sure it happens. I moved because of thier idiotic laws. I can assure you that if you spoke french, you would have gotten better CS.

Bart Leetch
06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Just a quick note Ken. French comes first in Quebec by law. They even have language police to make sure it happens. I moved because of thier idiotic laws. I can assure you that if you spoke french, you would have gotten better CS.

I wonder if the only place they could sell General tools was Quebec how long they would stay in business?:eek: :D

Ken Garlock
06-10-2006, 5:25 PM

John, don't talk to me about the French language, it almost kept me from graduating from college. :eek:

Chuck Wintle
06-10-2006, 7:10 PM

John,
I agree Quebec's language laws are idiotic. A lot of companies moved rather than comply with them and the province lost a lot a lot of business.

Chuck Wintle
06-10-2006, 7:11 PM
John, don't talk to me about the French language, it almost kept me from graduating from college. :eek:
Ken,
Most reps in Quebec speak english and it should not be a problem to communicate with them. Customer service is a problem for most companies even in the states. Imagine having to deal with someone in India for a Dell computer! There is a head office soemwhere in Montreal for General International. maybe you will have better luck talking to them.

Ken Garlock
06-10-2006, 7:20 PM
Ken,
Most reps in Quebec speak english and it should not be a problem to communicate with them. Customer service is a problem for most companies even in the states. Imagine having to deal with someone in India for a Dell computer! There is a head office soemwhere in Montreal for General International. maybe you will have better luck talking to them.

OH yes, the fellow I delt with spoke perfect English, that was not part of the problem.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-11-2006, 10:21 AM
FWIW...and I'm sure there's some sort of 'rule' agianst it...I was too lazy to take one apart and make it for a left tilt. I use it 'backwards' in the other miter slot.

KC

Ken Garlock
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
FWIW...and I'm sure there's some sort of 'rule' agianst it...I was too lazy to take one apart and make it for a left tilt. I use it 'backwards' in the other miter slot.

KC

Interestingly KC, the same problem would exist regardless of either a right or left configuration. The backer plate hits the handle when the handle is mounted on either end.

I took the handle to HD yesterday inorder to get a size on the part that screws into the casting. From what I could tell, along with an older HD gent, it is called an "MD 10 1.5". It think that means it is a 10 mm diameter thread with a 1.5 mm pitch. Our friends at LV have a handle that is suitable, length wise, but it has English threads, and they are too small. A 10 mm bolt is in the neighborhood of 3/8 inch.

One solution I have considered is just getting a regular metric cap crew, wacking off the hex head and mounting it in a file handle. That is only a last resort if I can't find another solution. I did this when I bought a diamond dressing tool for the grinder. The dressing tool had a round shaft of 3/8". I drilled out a wooden file handle on the drill press and slipped the shaft in the hole. Worked out great, IIDSSMS.:)