PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Gloat

CPeter James
06-09-2006, 7:08 PM
Here are some pics of a lathe that I picked up on E..Y. It is a 10 year old Record CL3-48. Included were several accessories . The bowl turning set up, a very versatile chuck set, and the stand. It is a very well made unit crafted in England. The fit and finish is really superior to the stuff out of Asia.

Pics are for the picture police.

CPeter

http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/lathe1.jpg
http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/lathe2.jpg
http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/lathe3.jpg
http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/lathe4.jpg
http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/lathe5.jpg
http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/lathe6.jpg

Halsey MCCombs
06-09-2006, 7:12 PM
Looks great Peter,now you can dirty up that clean shop. Halsey

Richard Wolf
06-09-2006, 8:55 PM
I have the same lathe for over ten years. I now own 4 different lathes, including a MiniMax copy lathe, I often pick the Record for fast set up and quick turning. Good luck with it. I think the Record is one of those hidden treasures.

Richard

CPeter James
06-09-2006, 9:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I did some on line research and it looked like a good solid machine. I was surprised when I saw it. Even better than I thought. Where do you get parts? I was wondering about the "special" spindle oil they sell.

CPeter

Jim Becker
06-09-2006, 9:49 PM
Congratulations!

Jeff Horton
06-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Here are some pics of a lathe that I picked up on E..Y.

You can say (well type) Ebay. It's not a bad word. :) See. I wasn't struck by lightning, placed in time out or my post removed! :D

Mark Rios
06-10-2006, 12:12 AM
HEY....EXCUSE ME!!!!!!

The Turning Forum is further down the page (where it belongs). Please don't clutter up this forum with NON-REAL woodworking tools. You spinny folks always want to hog the spotlight.

:D :D :D :D :D :D JUST TEASING!!!!!

Please don't hurt me.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously, congrats on the new tool! Did you say that it was TEN years old? I don't know much about lathes (read: "nothing") but that thing looks BRAND spankin' new! Just like the rest of your shop/showroom. Where did you find the sawdust to spread around? (Just teasin' again) Looks like you got the big bag of extra swag as well. WTG!

Vaughn McMillan
06-10-2006, 1:11 AM
HEY....EXCUSE ME!!!!!!

The Turning Forum is further down the page (where it belongs). Please don't clutter up this forum with NON-REAL woodworking tools. You spinny folks always want to hog the spotlight...
It takes a brave man to talk trash like that to a bunch of folks who make bonkers and other implements of destruction just for fun. :rolleyes: :p :D

Looks like a great lathe setup CPeter. We'll be looking forward to seeing some finished stuff from it soon.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2006, 1:29 AM
It takes a brave man to talk trash like that to a bunch of folks who make bonkers and other implements of destruction just for fun. :rolleyes: :p :D Well, at least he's smart enough not to talk trash to the laserheads.:cool:

"You call that an instrument of destruction?!?"
(bwoorrrpp)<BWOORRP>
"Now there's an Instrument of Destruction!!"
(swoosh, thump)<SWOOSH, thump>

Tim Clark
06-10-2006, 7:03 AM
Nice grab CPeter.

I'll be down in your neck-o-the-woods in a couple weeks to p/u my Jointer in Limerick. Maybe we can grab a coffee.

You HAVE seen the Crescent in Uncle Henry's, haven't you? :D

Dick Parr
06-10-2006, 7:41 AM
Congrats and welcome to the dark side...:rolleyes: That is a great looking lathe.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
06-10-2006, 8:36 AM
Super Gloat there Peter and I see a bowl almost ready to launch pics of. Congrats!!:D

CPeter James
06-10-2006, 9:22 AM
Nice grab CPeter.

I'll be down in your neck-o-the-woods in a couple weeks to p/u my Jointer in Limerick. Maybe we can grab a coffee.

You HAVE seen the Crescent in Uncle Henry's, haven't you? :D
I saw that jointer. Some potential, but as I remember, it needed some TLC.

CPeter

Frank Fusco
06-10-2006, 9:24 AM
Looking good. How does the variable speed control work? Reeves drive? What is the hp?

Corey Hallagan
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Way to go Peter, congrats on the new machine!

Corey

CPeter James
06-10-2006, 10:06 AM
No variable speed drive. It is a 5 speed, 515 to 2200 as I remember the manual. The variable speed option is about $900 more and is available as an update. I think that you could do it for less that half of that if you could find a compatible motor that would mount up. The electronics are about $165 and coming down in price. The motor it has is 3/4 hp. It says that it can turn a 30", that is right thirty inch, bowl. That would be interesting. There is no plastic anywhere, just lots of heavy iron. The bars that form the bed are solid and heavy. No give to them at all.

CPeter.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Nice gloat CPeter. Looks like a nice machine.

tod evans
06-10-2006, 10:33 AM
nice score cpeter! if my feeble memory serves the motor is a standard "c" face so if you want to go variable speed it shouldn`t be dificult...02 tod

Tyler Howell
06-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Nice color...... if you like that kinda thing.

Mark you were on a roll till you wussed out:mad: . Show some backbone man.
These spin heads have been snorting so many exotics, they couldn't hurt a fly:rolleyes: :p

[quote=Mark Rios]HEY....EXCUSE ME!!!!!!

The Turning Forum is further down the page (where it belongs). Please don't clutter up this forum with NON-REAL woodworking tools. You spinny folks always want to hog the spotlight.

Mark Cothren
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Congrats! A neat lookin' lathe!

Greg Savage
06-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I had one of of these great machines. It made me a lot of money!......I gave it to my nephew, who is a fine young turner.

I turned some very large bowls on the blue monster, but you will find that when you get into the 16-20in range, there just isn't enough torque and HP to make any aggressive cuts. Remember to keep that bronze tapered bearing oiled!

Tim Clark
06-10-2006, 4:16 PM
I saw that jointer. Some potential, but as I remember, it needed some TLC.

CPeter

It will need a little work but it's usable as is. At 95+ years old we could all use a little TLC.:) Most importantly, it's complete except for the guard. I'll put some twin sheaves and v-belts on it. When I start the resto I'll probably repour the babbitts since it's going to be apart anyway.

How far from the portsmouth area are you? Maybe we can hook up a say hello f2f.

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2006, 5:43 PM
Nice gloat CPeter. Looks like you got hooked fast. Can't wait to see some of your work.

Ernie

CPeter James
06-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Ernie, I got started turning at age 10 with no lessons and did everything wrong. Gave it up shortly after that. Picked up an Older Delta Homecraft about 5 years ago and did some small turnings with that, but wanted something bigger. Right now there are three lathes in the shop, one is sold, one is for sale and a keeper.

Tim, I am in Barnstead, about 40 miles from Portsmouth. I would love to have a visitor. Give me a call and come on up.

CPeter

Doug Thompson
06-11-2006, 12:04 PM
That sure is a nice one. Someone took care of this for the past 10 years or didn't use it.

Have fun,
Doug

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2006, 3:03 PM
Nice purchase CPJ!