PDA

View Full Version : Workbench 2.0 is ready for its unveiling

Matt Woodworth
09-11-2003, 1:07 AM
Friends,

I'm not sure I can *really* post this here since I did all the heavy lifting with power tools. However, I did spend a lot of time using my chisels, mallet, and handplanes to get this built.

This is workbench 2.0. (click on the picture to see my web page)

http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/images/woodworking/workbench/thumbnail/DCP_1579_small.JPG (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/workbench/)

I'm still building the cabinet and drawers for under the bench but I just felt like gloating about the completion of the first phase.

I thought you guys might be interested.

Martin Shupe
09-11-2003, 3:29 AM
Matt,

That sure looks outstanding! I need to build a bench, and soon, too.

I liked your website as well. You should post your Norm router table info here.

I like the darker wood around your bench dog holes...nice touch.

Thanks for posting, and again, great job,

Matt Woodworth
09-11-2003, 9:53 AM
Matt,
I liked your website as well. You should post your Norm router table info here.

Thank you for the kind words. With regards to the router table, I built that a few months ago. Norm's design is top notch but sometimes I have a little trouble with the Jessem Mast R Lift slipping as I raise and lower the router. I haven't spent any time getting their bugs works, maybe there is a simple fix?

If you're interested in building the table someday you can see mine here (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/router_table/) . At the top of the page I have a link to the tricks, tips, and gotchas that I found along the way.

Dave Anderson NH
09-11-2003, 10:34 AM
It looks to be a very functional bench and good looking too. As for the use of power tools, there really aren't very many here who are completely othodox as Neanders. Think of the power stuff as apprentices which relieve you of the grunt work so that you have time to use the handtools for the finer stuff. My plane rack currently under construction had much of the repetetive stuff done with table saw and bandsaw.

What sizes of drawers and what type of sufforts are you planning for the cabinet?

chaddhamilton
09-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Wow, what a great looking workbench. You did a really nice job on it.

Matt Woodworth
09-11-2003, 10:59 AM
What sizes of drawers and what type of sufforts are you planning for the cabinet?

On the right there will be five drawers. The top three are 2 1/4" tall and the bottom two are 3 3/4" tall.

On the left of the divider I haven't fully made up my mind. I'm considering leaving it open. It's a 23" (wide) x 19" (deep) x 17" (tall) space. I worry that dividing the 17" height into something less might make the space less usable, not more. I'm not sure if you noticed but at the bottom of the web page you can see that carcass of the cabinet.

I hope that answers your question, I don't know what a suffort is. :)

Regarding the plane rack, I've considered building something like this (http://www.plansnow.com/shopcab.html). I like to alternate between shop and home projects so I won't be getting to another shop project for a while. As you might remember in my other post, I'm building a bed next.

Mike Evertsen
09-11-2003, 2:41 PM
nice bench,,,I need to build one I have the plans from woodsmith,,,
now that my shop is about the way I want it's time to start building the work bench and cabinets,,,,,I liked the idea about using maple and purple heart for face frame and trim,,,,,

Marc Hills
09-11-2003, 3:27 PM
Matt:

Your bench is just beautiful. I agree with Martin that the darker wood accents around the bench dog holes are a classy touch. Definitely raises the level of your bench beyond the ordinary. Great website too!
Question: if the basic bench is version 2.0, does the drawer/cabinet unit constitute version 2.5, or is it merely a patch? :)

Dave: thank you for your comment regarding thinking about power tools as apprentices for the grunt work. Up till now I just didn't get the oft-used expression "tailed apprentices". Duh. What do you expect from someone who calls himself a neanderthal?

Matt Woodworth
09-11-2003, 3:37 PM
Matt:
Question: if the basic bench is version 2.0, does the drawer/cabinet unit constitute version 2.5, or is it merely a patch? :)

It's funny you asked that, I was thinking of calling it 2.1 but I think I like 2.5 better. I'll settle on the final naming scheme after I see how it comes out. :)

Matthew Springer
09-12-2003, 1:05 PM
It's funny you asked that, I was thinking of calling it 2.1 but I think I like 2.5 better. I'll settle on the final naming scheme after I see how it comes out. :)

Remeber that in computer science land (at least UNIX land), odd numbered versions are considered experimental, whereas even numbered versions are considered stable. So you may want to name it 2.1 until you're done fiddling with it and then 2.2 once everythings done.

-Matthew (enjoying his new two cherries chisel set)

Gregory Care
09-17-2003, 1:27 AM
Um...,

I hate to seem like a dork, I'm not stranger to UBB, but I cant's see any pix or link to the workbench. And it sounds like such a great bench, from the replies!

Gregory

Marc Hills
09-17-2003, 8:39 AM
Um...,

I hate to seem like a dork, I'm not stranger to UBB, but I cant's see any pix or link to the workbench. And it sounds like such a great bench, from the replies!

Gregory

Hi Gregory:

Check your private messages. I offered you a couple of alternative ways to see Matt's impressive workbench.

Matt Woodworth
09-17-2003, 9:21 AM
Um...,

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what has gone wrong. Here is a link (http://www.employees.org/~vanguard/woodworking/projects/workbench/) that should work better. I'm hope you're not disappointed. I've seen more impressive benches but so far I'm pretty happy with it. It's a fully functional bench and it's gathering scratches and dings all the time now. :)

Jerry Crawford
09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
absolutly stunning bench.