PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for senior seating advice

Jesse Cloud
06-09-2006, 11:50 AM
A while back I asked for advice on how to make an adirondack chair that my 85 year old mother could get in and out of. The response was great and I learned a lot. In the end, I went with something that wasn't adirondack, but kinda sorta had the same feel. To tell the truth, the sr chair is maybe even a little more comfortable than the adirondacks.
The picture shows the adirondacks for me and SWMBO with the senior chair in the middle. Adirondacks are all cypress, senior chair is mostly cypress with pine for the heavy structural parts. Finish is clear penetrating expoxy sealer with epifanes marine grade spar varnish. Should last even in the New Mexico weather.
Thanks again.
Jess

Kyle Stiefel
06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Jesse,

What a great gift and obviously well thought out. The finish sounds optimal from what all of the gurus have been writing lately on long lasting outdoor finishes. I can see some of the SW architecture in the back of you picture, I enjoy that work having spent a few years in Tucson.

Kyle

Wes Bischel
06-09-2006, 1:40 PM
Jesse,

All three look great! I would have to believe your Mom loves it - and even more that her "little boy" made it!;) Seriously, the fact that you thought it through with her in mind is wonderful.

Wes

Jim Becker
06-09-2006, 2:14 PM
They look great, Jesse. And isn't it interesting how "comfortable" they feel, even on that wonderful SW adobe porch?? :)

Vaughn McMillan
06-09-2006, 2:43 PM
They look great, Jesse. With my wacked-out back, I'm sure the higher one would be more comfortable for me to sit in, and I've still got a ways to go before I hit 85.

BTW, nice porch, all the more complete with the ristra.

- Vaughn

Stuart Johnson
06-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Given a choice I would take the SR. seat. I find the others very comfortable until it is time to get up. They are too low and my center of gravity seems to have shifted a little lower. The result isn't pretty.

Jerry Olexa
06-10-2006, 4:01 PM
I love the looks of the Adir Chairs but they really are too low for us mature (older) people.:) Hard to get in and out've. Good job on all 3. I'd go to the middle one:)

Ralph Okonieski
06-10-2006, 8:31 PM
Very nice. Looks comfortable. Love to see variations on a theme.