PDA

View Full Version : Interlocking rings

Jim Tobias
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I need help/advice!! I would like to inlay 2 interlocking rings (symbolizing the rings) on a table I am building for my daughter's wedding. I have one of the inlay sets (template guide, bushing, etc.). Call me dense (it won't be the first time), but I cannot figure out how I can utilize the precision of the inlay set to help me inlay the interlocking rings. It seems to me that I would need 2 circles to cut the recess, but when I move them to set up for the inlay pieces, I would lose the precision of the because the 2 circles cannot be connected.
The inlay would be done on a veneered panel that I have already made up for the center of the table.
If you can understand my description of the dilemma, please give any advice on this or how else it might be accomplished.
Thanks,
Jim

Jamie Buxton
06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Those inlay sets really only do solid inlays. They only match the edge at the outside of the inlay. To make just one of your rings, you actually do two inlays. First, you make an inlay which is a solid circle. Second, you make an inlay which is a solid circle set inside the first circle. The second inlay happens to be of the same wood as the body of the table, so the result appears that you did just one inlay -- the ring.

Using that procedure, you'd have to do six inlay operations:
1) the outside of the left ring
2) the inside of the left ring
3) the outside of the right ring
4) the inside of the right ring
5) the outside of the part of the left ring which is inside the right ring
6) the inside of the part of the left ring which is inside the right ring

That's pretty complicated. Also, there's also a problem with what I've outlined above. It requires that some of the inlays have outside corners which have zero radius. The inlay kits can't do that. They cut the corners with a 1/8" bit, so the radius can't be any smaller than 1/16".

There's gotta be a better way.

Jim Tobias
06-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Thnaks Jamie. I could not come up with a good answer and it now seems apparent that there is not a GOOD answer. The panel in the middle is a sunburst venner so there would be no way to do it and replace the center of circles with like materials.
By the way, this is the same pedestal table that I got advice from you about the sliding dovetails to attach legs to pedestal.
I will have to come up with a better idea to make it "wedding" specific.

Thanks,
Jim

Vaughn McMillan
06-09-2006, 3:07 PM
Jim, I'll bet one of the laser guys or gals could handle the inlay for you. You might try posting a request for help on the Laser Forum. I've done some inlaid cutting boards with Pete Simmons that had designs much more challenging than the interlocking rings. Here's a detail shot of one of them...it's walnut inlaid into curly maple:

The pic is larger than actual size. The thin lines are about 1/16" wide. I take no credit for the inlay...I just glued the blank cutting board together and finished it. Pete did all the hard work. I know other laser-ers can do similar work.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
06-09-2006, 3:10 PM
Jim, I'll bet one of the laser guys or gals could handle the inlay for you.Yup...I'm no expert on east-coast geography, but I'd guess he's not all that far south of Keith Outten.

Main issue is, how big is the piece in question? Doing this sort of thing on a small piece of flat stock is one thing, an assembled table is something else altogether. Might be a job for the ShopBot rather than the laser.