PDA

View Full Version : What a day. Snake alert

Steve Clardy
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Well the day has almost ended with a bang, er a heart attack:eek:

Had a less than desirable day in the shop with some finishing problems, found a dead squirrel in the horse's water tank, and manageg to burn off the wood handle on the grill cooking up some burgers.
Finally gave up and went in and cleaned up.
Back out to the shop to close it up, check my email once more.

And here was the surprise, wrapped around my printer:eek: :eek:

Laid in out on a countertop I built today. Countertop is 57" long.
No a huge blacksnake, but big enough to scare the heck outa me.

Steve Clardy
06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Three more pics

Michael Cody
06-08-2006, 11:44 PM
And folks wonder why we put with winter and such ... no problems like that ever in my 47 years as a Michigander... closest is a couple of small garter snakes in the basement where part of the house had a crawl space open to the basement. Yeah we got mosquitoes big enough to take on jet fuel at the airport, an occasional black fly .. but nothing like the issues you guys have with snakes! I can tell you I will never retire south just to avoid 12 months of mosquitos and snakes. The south is a nice place to visit but I don't want to live there -- give me some cold weather to keep the pests down!

Don Baer
06-08-2006, 11:57 PM
EWWWWWWWW :eek:

I Hate Snakes.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2006, 12:24 AM
No rodent problem huh..........Steve!

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2006, 12:54 AM
LOL......He was just trying to read the fine print on one of your printed contracts. :p :D

Nice sized snake there Steve.....Now you can sue that baby for a new measuring stick..!!!:p :D :D

Vaughn McMillan
06-09-2006, 3:21 AM
I realize they're beneficial and kill rodents and such, but there's a good chance my printer would have a series of bullet holes if I'd walked in on that. Or at least that would be my first impulse...then I'd realize they're good critters (and that my printer is too young to die), and go get LOML from the house to get the snake out of my shop. (I don't do reptiles, she doesn't do bugs. Works out well.) ;)

- Vaughn

Michael Stafford
06-09-2006, 8:01 AM
I don't mind snakes all that much. I used to keep a few when I was a kid. That said I don't like being surprised by one. And finding one crawling out of your printer would definitely constitute a surprise. I am glad you didn't kill the poor thing Steve. That species is very beneficial to us all.

Most surprised I have ever been was when I was in the scouts,oh so long ago, when we were hiking in the mountains and stepped over a fallen log directly onto a copperhead. Fortunately I was standing on his head when I realized what I had just stepped on and did not immediately step off. I gathered my wits and jumped off of the snake. Pretty sure I set the world record for the standing long jump that day....:D

Joe Pelonio
06-09-2006, 8:20 AM
:D He's obviously one of those ink-loving snake varieties. Keep a half empty ink cartridge outside and he'll stop coming in.:D

tod evans
06-09-2006, 8:31 AM
black snakes in the barn are okay by me, in the house or shop they die..

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2006, 8:32 AM
Steve.........One of those cured my sister's security problems! She's a nurse practicioner (sp?). She moved to a place in the Appalachian Mountains. Her husbund remained in the mid-west. She'd had her home burglaried once and people on 4 wheeled vehicles were stopping and "raising" Cain and were trying to scare her. Well what they didn't know was that she packs a 357 revolver and she can use it and does stay proficient with it. Well.......one day as she came out of the trailer she rents from the hospital (it's in the country) there was a snake of some kind stretched out on top the brick along the wall of the trailer. She pulls out her 357 revolver and calls the hospital maintenance crew. They come to rescue the snake and "Sis" is standing there with her weapon ready to dispense some cure-all medicine. The maintenance people got rid of the snake and the word got out to the community about my sister's N0-NONSENSE attitude and armament situation. She's not been harrassed since! Good thing! She's all business! So.....harmless snakes can do some good!:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-09-2006, 8:47 AM
Gonna have to change you "Handle" to "Snake" Charmer!

Bruce

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
It wouldn't have been 57" long by the time I got around to taking a picture of it. At least not all at once. :eek:

No good snake but a dead snake. Cats eats mice, too. :)

KC

Steve Clardy
06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
After I snapped the snake-at-the-printer pics, I went in and retreived the wife to snap a pic of me holding the snake. [Which I really didn't want to do, but had to get it off the printer:( ]. Then took the varmint to the weed patch outside and turned it loose.

Pictures taken, I downloaded and posted them here.
Then into the finish room to do a little work on a cabinet.
So I preceeded to shut the shop down. Got to the front overhead door, and guess who was back.:eek:
That bugger was laying at the shop entrance, almost back in the shop:eek: . So I shooed em off and shut the door.
Haven't seen him the morning:)

Jim Becker
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
That bugger was laying at the shop entrance, almost back in the shop:eek: . So I shooed em off and shut the door.

Maybe he/she is trying to tell you something...like you need his/her services?

Mark Rios
06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Ya know....snakes can"t talk. So they just give you a little "hello" bite.

You really need to learn to communicate better with future customers.

:D :D :D :D :D

Steve Clardy
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Ya know....snakes can"t talk. So they just give you a little "hello" bite.

You really need to learn to communicate better with future customers.

:D :D :D :D :D

Lol. Gotta get a sign up in the shop.

No customer biting allowed:eek:
Just the wife;) :D

Chris Padilla
06-09-2006, 4:26 PM
Mmm, them's good eaten, Bro! Give it to Ma...she knows what to do with it! :D

On the other hand, I see your printer snake trap finally worked....

Steve Clardy
06-09-2006, 6:02 PM
Mmm, them's good eaten, Bro! Give it to Ma...she knows what to do with it! :D

On the other hand, I see your printer snake trap finally worked....

Ma's here:confused: :confused: :confused:
Guess I better look. I thought She was still with you:confused: :confused: ;)

Rick Gibson
06-09-2006, 6:17 PM
Fraid around my place it would be target practice time. I hate snakes. Guess that's why I live where I do, haven't seen one outside a zoo in nearly 30 years.

Ernie Nyvall
06-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I had two of those in my shop for a few years after we moved in here. The people before us had kept feed in there and there were just a few rats. I never saw them... just their skins side by side and every year they got longer until the last ones I measured that were at 7'. Then, they were gone, and so were the rats.

Ernie

Frank Hagan
06-12-2006, 12:06 AM
If he comes back again, wrap some sandpaper on him and put him to work. Might be better than a ROS ... then you could rename the snake ROSS ... Random Orbital Slither Sander.