PDA

View Full Version : LaserBuzz Software

Pete Simmons
06-08-2006, 7:50 PM
Anyone use the Software Projects from LaserBuzz?

How do you like it?

How do they sell?

Which sell best?

Ed Lang
06-30-2006, 4:58 PM
Peter,
I cannot believe you have not gotten any response on this thread yet!

I have not bought the commercial packages as of yet, but they are on the top of the list for the next money to be spent on software!

Buzz, has made some files of fun items available here as well as his newsletter that is sent out via email. I have cut the F-15 and my fist try was a perfect fit and the project is a great hit with anyone I have shown it to. Kids as well as adults.

I just received an order of 1/8" baltic birch yesterday and all ten sheets measure smaller than the 0.125" I expected. I cut up a sheet and ran the F-15 file before I measured it. I found out when I tried to put the jet together and it was too loose.

I thought the easy way to fix this might be to just scale down the entire jet by a little till the slots measured .113" and it would fit tight and just be a tad smaller jet. Since I am new to all of the laser stuff, I emailed Buzz and asked what was the best way to fix the file for my next try. Well, I checked my email about a half hour later and guess what! Buzz had not only responded to my plea for help and suggestions but he had resized the file for my material and attached it to the return email. Now remember I have not paid this man one red cent to date. He owes me nothing. Talk about customer service, this is great.

So, now you know why I have put his designs on the top of my list of ones to get. Not only does he make great projects, he supports he designs way beyond the call of duty.

I have never talked to Buzz in person or on the phone, I have no connection with him other than I asked for help on a free file he posted and he helped quickly and without charge. I may sound like a paid advertisement, but I am not. I am just happy to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.

I will start a new thread when I can get one of the commercial packages and cut a few items. I'll post again when I know what sells for me in this area.

I am off to cut the F-15 now.

Take care,
ed

mike klein
06-30-2006, 5:14 PM
Anyone use the Software Projects from LaserBuzz?

How do you like it?

How do they sell?

Which sell best?
I have purchased some of his cd collections and they are awesome.
Most of our sales started by showing the items at what is called around here
'Farmers Market'.

Now our sales are starting to come in to our store. What amazes most people
is the detail of the cutting and the ability to have them personalized.
As for which ones sell the best, the Military plaques have been our #1 seller.

Mike

Rebecca Leedy
07-01-2006, 4:19 PM
Without knowing specifically what your market is, I can tell you this.
We bought the 1D military design CD. We had a boyscout troop/pack that wanted the Boy Scout desktop for a distuinguished citizen dinner. They wanted 165 of them (customized of course) to give out as a "favor" type thing. Needless to say, we covered the cost of the CD with just that one job.
Since then, we have gotten requests from the other service organizations on that CD as well as people inquiring for other designs like the dogs. They are great designs that are easy to work with. the key is that they are easy to customize. Fire companies around here are going nuts for them because we can put tributes, dates, fire company names etc. on them.
Try one of Buzz's "fun" freebie projects that he has posted. I know they are a little different than the design CD's. But it's a great example of the quality of Buzz's design capabilities.
I would highly recommend them. It is well worth the investment.
Becky

Brent Vander Weil
07-02-2006, 1:33 AM
I had the same question Pete.. I have to agree that Buzz is a most generous member of SMC... I am curious about the Laser Buzz CD's too and will be payng attention to the posts here too.

Rebecca Leedy
07-02-2006, 7:45 AM
I will say this about the LaserBuzz CD's, they are a really versatile tool whether you are a woodworker or in the awards and engraving industry. You can use the designs to create the included projects (the clock, desktops etc.) But you can also use them for so many other things in so many other media. I am in the A&E industry and I use the designs to create custom awards for different service organizations in our area, fundraisers etc. If you think outside the box a little, there are so many possibilities for these designs.

Barbara Buhse
07-03-2006, 2:14 PM
so... if I were going to pick one lazerbuzz CD, for use in making items to sell at craft shows (mostly in the fall)... which one would be the best to choose?

Barbara

Tom Buzz Bernard
07-03-2006, 5:00 PM
Hi Barbara,
I talk to a lot of our customers to see which items are selling best and the one thing I hear is no two events are the same. Sometimes Military sells great other times it's sports, but all say dogs seem to sell at all shows (emotional buy). Military & sports sell better in the 3D format, Dogs sell better in the 1d format.
If you ever buy more than one package, I recommend buying one in 3D and the other in 1D this will give you all the templates to make the different products. All you have to do is take the insignia (design) and enlarge it to fit the other format.
Horses is so new I have not received enough feedback to say. I think it will become a good emotional sale like the dogs in certain areas. If you are in horse country then it might be good. It always seems no matter what you have, someone always wants something you don't stock:)
I have a 72 year young man in Maine that calls me after every one of his craft shows. He says Marine is his biggest seller (he is a former marine) he can never keep enough in stock and sells out at every show. I told him to make twenty and keep them in stock. His last two craft shows have been his biggest moneymaking so far this year and he sold no Marines - go figure:o
He always sells a lot of dogs, this last show he sold all of his Pit Bull Wall Tributes, Picture Frames, and ornaments to the same customer, in all of his other shows put together he had only sold one pit bull (Bull Terrier for the technical people:) You never know?
I know this doesn't help, have you ever seen a finished Wall Tribute? Maybe someone can make you some at a wholesale pricing so you can test your market? Just a thought.

Pete Simmons
07-03-2006, 5:21 PM
The 1D Photo Frame - What holds the Photo?
Glue on, Slip in, Tabs or other.

Shaddy Dedmore
07-03-2006, 5:43 PM
Tape/glue. You can give the cut out piece with the frame as a template for the end user to cut the photo out, then it'll fit right and they tape or glue it in place.

I thought about vector engraving a black rectangle on the back piece that extends off the right, with enough depth you'd be able to slide the photo in after assembled. But that would take a lot more time and profits.

Shaddy

Ed Lang
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
The way I am understanding this is that the picture is mounted from the front of the finished project am I right?

If so, then the user would have to apply something sticky to the rear of the photo and stick it to the back of the project and the picture will have no glass on the front of it.

???

Tom Buzz Bernard
07-04-2006, 1:02 PM
Some have used the same vector line for the template to cut acrylic for the front, but the picture frame looks just as well without this addition.

Ed Lang
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Thought I would quickly follow up on my experience with the Laser Buzz software.

I went with the suggestion of "Buzz" and bought one 1D and one 2D since I was going to get Dogs and the Military & Organizations. I have been to two farmers markets with some of the projects and interest is building and sales are starting to come. Remember, I am selling at farmers markets, not craft shows... yet.

I am very happy with the instructional videos Tom put on the CD. In the past there was a DVD for the videos but now it is all on one CD and you watch it at the computer. I was all ready for a long session at the TV and a frosty beverage when I had to move to the computer. So, that is the only negative I can find so far.

There are lots of nice tricks I have been introduced to since getting his software. I like it and I feel it was a good decision for me.

I didn't get rich at my first farmers market but after the second one I ordered another 20 sheets of 5'X5' baltic birch!

Wish I had a panel saw now.... oh well..

Ed

Shaddy Dedmore
07-14-2006, 2:25 PM
Couple things I realized... As an Epilog user, use the Color Mapping feature and set the engraving lines (usually red) to vector high speed low power, and set the cut lines to low speed high power. I never played with that feature before so at first I attempted to thicken each red line so it would raster. (D'OH).

Another thing I noticed is, if you're not cutting out letters, just engraving, you can use most any font. Just take away the fill and set the outline to hairline. They'll still vector engrave and you don't have to raster. The Stencil font is good for when you have to cut out the letters, but I like being able to use other fonts for things too.

Shaddy.

John Esberg
07-15-2006, 10:11 AM
What I don't know is what materials are used to make the items. Can anyone tell us what's need to make the products?

The video on the LaserBuzz site says its $1.00 and 12 minutes on a 35 watt machine to make an item. Is this the result everyone is finding? How much assembly time? What about jigs for proper alignment?

Hope to hear from you soon,

DAK

Ed Lang
07-15-2006, 1:49 PM
Material is 1/8" Baltic Birch ply. Yes, his suggested cut times are close. Assemble time is so quick per part I just don't count it. I do most assemble at shows while talking to folks. Alignment is EASY he has a system that you will never see by just looking at the finished product, but if you are in the know, you will have no trouble finding them. Little tick marks, flats on an edge or a curve that is larger than the ones next to it all make for easy alignment. I use Tightbond glue for assemble and I even have a orange juice jug for a press. I also use bricks with duct tape around them.

I buy my ply 25 sheets at a time and it comes 5' x 5'. I use a EZ Guide system (available here on this forum) to cut the sheets into 12" x 24" and 12" x 12" blanks that I take to the laser.

I did buy the Golden Oak and Early American stain in the spray cans as suggested to start with, but now buy it in the quart can and am getting ready to start spraying it. The quart cost the same amount as one spray can. Spray can is easy and clean..... your choice.

$0.97 per can of black paint works great too.

I didn't have 1/4" Baltic Birch in stock when I made my first batches so I glued up double 1/8" spacers to get the product out the door. I did the same with the desktop items, just glue up two 1/8" parts to make one 1/4". It does look nice and is quick.

I am sure you will have NO trouble and Tom "Buzz" is a nice guy to talk with on the phone as well as email.

Let us know how you are doing with his designs...

Ed

Leigh Costello
07-16-2006, 12:41 PM
I ordered the 3D Sports and Hobbies v2 and the 1D Military and Organizations, as well as the Sample Pak 1. Went all out and showed my fam what I will be able to do in couple of weeks and am now using some his designs to hand engrave some glass for a gift for next week. So, yes, I believe the software is incredibly versatile and easy to use. Can't wait to have to "sell" some of his stuff! So far, it is selling itself!
Leigh - waiting, still waiting:D

Bill Stein
07-21-2006, 6:38 PM
Ed,

A couple of questions. You start off saying that the material needed is 1/8". Later you talk about about having to glue up 1/4". Do you really need both to do a project?

The military designs don't seem to have the army symbol. How do handle the folks that see Marines, Navy, Air Force, etc. but want Army? I would hope that you don't have to buy the Army set just to get a generic army logo.

Bill

Ed Lang
07-21-2006, 9:37 PM
The stands for the Destops designs are 1/4" material. I did cut 1/8" material and glue to together after cutting. This worked good.

The Army designs are sold in a seperate package. I wish the military package had them all in it. Tom does have to make a living so I guess marketing played a part in how it is all broken up. I have had no requests for Army yet but fear the day that I do. I'll just take their name and number and let then know when I have it.

Barbara Buhse
07-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for replying Tom, I've been off for a week, so I didn't see your reply until now. Many others have also told me the military sold well.
I am going to look again at your site and we'll try to decide between the 1D and 3D. Thanks again!

Barbara Buhse

Dean Fowell
11-15-2010, 6:43 PM
I just brought my first design and now im going to buy the pack here is a pic of my first attempt

Dean Fowell
11-15-2010, 7:29 PM
I love this i just cut my first one

Ray Uebner
11-16-2010, 7:14 PM
I love it and have most of his software. The one thing you do want to do is think outside of the box, as you can make many more items than he has with a little thought and using some of his graphics. I have made special awardw for Kmart and for some service organizations doing this and they are one of a kind and love them. I do sell a lot of rounds and toys but do not know what your market is like. I always have a toy at my booth as a show stopper. People love to look at them and then their attention always goes to other items you are selling.