PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Rockler-like store in Philadelphia area

Jeffrey Rosenberg
06-08-2006, 6:31 PM
I'm in the suburbs north of Philadelphia PA and have a lot of different small projects going on. Toys for my son. Home repairs and projects. Small furniture on occasion.

I find that I spend a lot of time at different stores - a lumber yard for hardwood, another store for Baltic plywood, Home Depot/Lowes for various items, a hobby/craft store for some parts and online for others such as the end-caps for toy car axles.

Many items come from Rockler, since they seem to have a huge selection. Home Depot may have a few types of pads for under table legs, while Rockler has dozens. Same goes for hinges. There have been few things I've looked for that they don't have.

My problem is that I'd rather have a phsyical store where I can walk in, look at the items and not have to wait for shipping. Are there any stores like this in the area? I'm fairly often in Philadelphia, Wilmington and Cherry Hill, so stores that are a bit of a drive are not a problem.

Pittsburg is way too far :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Tawes
06-08-2006, 6:58 PM
There is a Woodcraft in upper DE http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/Default.aspx?locate=state&state=DE

Rob Bodenschatz
06-08-2006, 7:21 PM
Depending on where you exactly you are, there are also Woodcrafts in Downingtown and Allentown. If you're north of Philly, Allentown is probably closer for you.

Bill Grumbine
06-08-2006, 7:37 PM
Jeff, you might also want to check Woodworker's Haven in Southampton. They are on James Way, just south and east of Justa Farms mall or whatever it is called on County Line Rd. Frank and John are the owners, and are great guys to deal with.

Bill

Jim Becker
06-08-2006, 8:34 PM
Jeff, you might also want to check Woodworker's Haven in Southampton. They are on James Way, just south and east of Justa Farms mall or whatever it is called on County Line Rd. Frank and John are the owners, and are great guys to deal with.
Absolutely. I'll always do business with Frank and John before heading to Woodcraft...not that I don't like Woodcraft; I do. But these guys are an independent business and just plain nice people. So are their spouses.

They carry the complete lines of Jet, PM, Performax and Delta in big tools and have a reasonable selection of hardware, etc. They also carry a good assortment of hardwood...not the least expensive, but good quality and less than the Rocklers of the world.

If you PM me with your exact location, I'll give you specific directions to get to the store. (They are open on Saturdays, although not all day and closed on Sundays)

Oh, an welcome to the Creek!

Peter Pedisich
06-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Jeffrey,

Also, there is:

MLCS Woodworkers Showroom
Located in suburban Philadelphia, 2381 Philmont Avenue, Huntingdon Valley, PA , (215) 938-5067

Pete

Jeffrey Rosenberg
06-20-2006, 5:51 PM
Thanks to everyone who offered help. I went to Woodworker's Haven shortly after you left the advice and was happy with what I found and the service that Frank and John offer. I've completed a project (toy) with my new wood and various extras and am happy.

I also plan to visit Woodcraft next time I'm in DE.

Thanks again. This forum is a great resource.

Jeffrey Rosenberg

Charles McKinley
06-21-2006, 1:47 AM
Welcome Jeffery!

Penn State ( lathe and cyclone people) have a store out around there somewhere too. I can't find my catalog at the moment.