PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your wood finishing products?

Jim Baker
09-10-2003, 9:15 PM
Where do you purchase your wood finishes? Until now, everything that I have done has been with Minwax Early American Stain and Minwax Polycrylic, which I can get anywhere from the Sherwin Williams store to farm fleet stores to Wal Mart. Lately, I have been thinking ahead to some projects that won't need as much protection and durability.

While at the places I normally shop (Sherwin Williams, Home Depot, Menards, etc) I have found that once you get past the usual variety of Minwax products and an occasional Watco or Deft product there is not much there.

Where do you find products like oils, shellacs, laquers, etc? Am I stuck driving 2 plus hours to Rockler-type stores or mail order with high shipping rates, or is there something that I am overlooking?

Jim Becker
09-10-2003, 10:01 PM
I buy my Target Coatings (http://www.targetcoatings.com) PSL direct or from Jeff Jewitt at Homesteadfinishing.com (http://www.Homesteadfinishing.com). I also buy my shellac from Jeff. I do buy alcohol, mineral spirits and strippers from the 'depot...

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Jeff Jewitt is the person and Homestead Finishing is the place.

Bill Grumbine
09-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Jim, I've started buying my finishing supplies from Jeff Jewitt as well, including Fuhr 355 WB acrylic varnish and Transtint dyes. I even bought a Walcom HVLP from him which does a great job with my medium sized compressor. When you think about the high price of shipping, consider how much time you spend driving around, taxes, not to mention the astronomical price of gas right now. I like being able to call up, order, and meet the UPS guy in a couple days instead of driving 15 miles into the city, dealing with morons, and then 15 miles back.

Bill

John Tarro
09-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Here is my take on it. I am an amateur . . . I enjoy the work including the finishing. I don't want to make mistakes that I cannot correct so I need good, credible information and quick help.

My vote is (as others have said) Jeff at Homestead Finishes. He has a great collection of products, good prices, quick service and INFORMATION AND ADVICE that is credible, quick and eagerly dispensed. Has put out some GREAT books and reference materials.

I have bought guns, finishes, papers, thinners and retarders, accessories and on and on. NEVER been disappointed.

I WILL PATRONIZE NOT ONLY FOR PRICE (important) BUT FOR THE QUALITY OF SERVICE. The information and service provided at their site is much more valuable than imagined. Nice to ask a pro and get an answer you can take to the bank. Besides, if you explain your level of experience and your intent, he tailors the answer to your particular needs. He will challenge you though. If he thinks that you can improve the end produce, he will push you a little to not take the path of least resistance. That was good for me

David Rose
09-11-2003, 4:06 PM
I surely wish Homestead Finishing allowed orders from their web site. I guess this would exclude any verbal help for a job, but it would be handy if you knew what you wanted. Hear this Jeff?

David

Jim Becker
09-11-2003, 4:21 PM
I surely wish Homestead Finishing allowed orders from their web site. I guess this would exclude any verbal help for a job, but it would be handy if you knew what you wanted. Hear this Jeff?

David

Jeff runs a somewhat small business and the eCommerce technology to put it all online isn't always inexpensive (and not just in money terms)...especially when you don't have a computer wiz on staff. Not having online buying capabilty is far more preferable than having BAD online selling capability! I respect the fact that he hasn't done something half baked... Besides, when you do business with him...you are really doing business with "him". I like that. (And my wife and I do 90% of our shopping online it seems)

John Tarro
09-11-2003, 5:02 PM
"You really do business with him" . . . How many times have I called and placed an order only to have him say "I'm not sure that is what you really want". He will spend a minute questioning my application and sometimes steer me in another better direction. He doesn't blindly fill orders . . to our benefit.

David Rose
09-11-2003, 5:27 PM
I'm sorry if I sounded complaining. It is really more of a "wish" than a complaint. Our business is not online at all, so I can't say too much. Web sites need to be updated frequently to keep them of interest and Jeff does a good job of that. The largest part of our business requires personal attention, so I understand that also.

I just do 98% of my woodworking ordering after closing the business and getting out of the woodshop, so it's late when I order. I've drooled over a couple of things that Jeff carries and can't seem to get around to calling in an order. That's my fault, not his.

David

Jim Baker
09-12-2003, 5:33 AM
Thanks for pointing me in Jeff's direction, guys. I will call him the next time I need something.

When you think about the high price of shipping, consider how much time you spend driving around, taxes, not to mention the astronomical price of gas right now. I like being able to call up, order, and meet the UPS guy in a couple days instead of driving 15 miles into the city, dealing with morons, and then 15 miles back.

Bill

Excellent points, Bill. Thanks. Although, driving 15 miles into the city and dealing with morons gives the perfect excuse to go somewhere nice for dinner.

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-12-2003, 1:13 PM

David

I don't know if it helps you, but I fax orders to homestead lots of the time. I think you can do this online too thru various services, or just a fax modem would work. Target coatings has a web site to directory order products.

Ask JJ -- I'm guessing he would happily except email orders.

David Rose
09-12-2003, 6:04 PM
Good points Eric! I've just gotten so use to site ordering that I hadn't even thought about other options.

Thanks! I'll give it a try soon.

David

I don't know if it helps you, but I fax orders to homestead lots of the time. I think you can do this online too thru various services, or just a fax modem would work. Target coatings has a web site to directory order products.

Ask JJ -- I'm guessing he would happily except email orders.