PDA

View Full Version : Compare G0490 to G0586 Jointer

Jeff Kerr
06-08-2006, 4:48 PM
So based on a lot of information that I have read here and elsewhere I decided to purchase the G0490 jointer. After I completed the order I noticed the G0586 in the catalog.

Anyone here done a comparison on these other than the obvious in the catalog? Most of the specs are the same around bed size, number of knives, volts, blade size, switch type etc. But 3HP compared to 2HP, fence size, cutter speed are different. The big deal, (marketing ploy maybe?), is parallelogram bed. I won't pretend to understand the parallelogram bed as to why it is so much better.

I guess what I am asking is the $95 difference really worth it? Am I getting a lot more than I realize for the money?

Thanks,
Jeff

Larry Cooke
06-08-2006, 5:14 PM
Anyone here done a comparison on these other than the obvious in the catalog?Jeff,

I'm 99% sure it has to do with the country of origin. I've been told that the 586 is made in Taiwan verus the 490 being made in China. Clearly the 490 is a very popular unit and everyone that has one to my knowledge is extremely happy with it.

The 490 has a parallelogram bed, 3 HP motor, and built-in base versus dovetailed ways for the bed and a 2 HP motor on the 586.

Also, for what's it worth, Grizzly does sell an indexed spiral cutter head for the 490 if you ever decide to go that route.

I'm still trying to decide, but it's looking like I might end up going with the 593. I want the spiral cutter head personally.

Larry

Allen Bookout
06-08-2006, 7:04 PM
If you need a mobile base the price difference gets a lot closer. GO586 with mobil base delivered-$857.20 and the GO490 delivered (built in mobile base)-$889.25 or $32.05 more for the GO490.

The good thing is that everyone seems to like their jointer so no mater what you decide I guess that you cannot go wrong.

The parallelogram bed is not a marketing ploy. If you ever have to adjust your beds you will know why. At least that is my experience.

Marty Baucom
06-08-2006, 7:20 PM
I can say I am sold on the G0490’s features. I had a 6" jointer before I bought the Grizzly and even with the handwheels on the 6" jointer the G0490 with parallelogram beds are much easier to adjust. Also with the built in mobile base it doesn't protrude past the base like an add on mobile base, no more stubbing toes on the mobile base. And yes Grizzly actual has a Byrd Shelix head available for the G0490. I have mine on pre order with them expected in around August. I think you made a good decision, but this is only my 2 cents worth.

Brad Townsend
06-08-2006, 7:51 PM
I'm 99% sure it has to do with the country of origin. I've been told that the 586 is made in Taiwan verus the 490 being made in China. I don't think so Larry. I've got a 586 and I'm certain it was made in China.

Jeff, I think you made the right choice. I'm very happy with my 586, but had it been out when I made my purchase, I probably would have gone for the 490. I think the additional cost is worth it.

Jeff Kerr
06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the sharing that goes on here at SMC. I am exited to get the G0490 here and set up.

Bill Eshelman
06-09-2006, 1:03 AM
If you are into making one side of a board really flat, really quickly, you will love your 0490.

:) happy with mine.

congrats!

Russ Massery
06-09-2006, 9:31 AM
As a fellow member of the "490" club. Is is a great machine at a great price. Also the parallelogram bed is a much better design versus the dovetail way design. I feel it supports the bed much better. Also having the built in mobile base is a very nice feature.

tod evans
06-09-2006, 9:44 AM
jeff, 95 bucks when talking stationary equipment is a drop in the bucket! although i own neither piece you ask about the parallelogram beds and mobility are certainly worth a "c"note, not to mention the greater horsepower. .02 tod